Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Agent charging legal fees

Options
  • 06-09-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help here...

I was out of work for about 2 years and in that time built up €1200 on my management fees. I had solicitors call me looking for money which when returning to work I paid €100 a month which was fine. The thing is the management agent is saying I owe €1500 still! I never got a breakdown of this for about 2 years as I thought they never checked with solicitors on payments I made. Recently I got the breskdown or part of a breakdown that stated of the €1500 I owe, about €900 of this was legal fees! I was never told in an correspondance either by email or letter about this in all the years I've lived here.

My question is, can they do this without ever giving me a breakdown of costs and never informing me of thd legal fees?

Appreciate any response ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What do your documents say?

You should have details in your Lease Contract or your purchase documents. These should detail any penalties for late or unpaid fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Paulw wrote: »
    What do your documents say?

You should have details in your Lease Contract or your purchase documents. These should detail any penalties for late or unpaid fees.

Will need to check that! Is that something agent will have? I know I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's something YOU should have. It's the contracts that YOU signed, with your solicitor. Your solicitor should definitely have a copy.

The agent may not have a copy, but they may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Management companies will usually levy legal fees to a unit they're related too. Otherwise they would be levied across the Units.

IME its usually the person who's not paid the fees incurs interest and legal fees for chasing the debt. Quite common practice.

If you had maintained contact with the company throughout your unemployment you likely would not have incurred any fees whatsoever. The management companies generally only get solicitors involved when the owner isn't responsive.

Advertisement