Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small indoor potted plants

• 07-09-2013 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hey everyone, first time posting in this part of boards.
    Looking for a suggestion for something to grow in a small plant in the bedroom, preferably in the line of herbs or something edible. Never had anything more than a passing interest in gardening, although help out with stuff the parents grow at the homeplace, want something small as a kind of hobby. Any ideas?

Also have a small patch in the garden, was thinking of sowing something now, I've seen garlic mentioned online?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yes, garlic and onions can be grown now, although you have plenty of time to prepare the ground. October/ November will do fine.
    Bit stumped for something edible to grow inside, I presume all year round. How about micro greens for rocket powered sambos? They sprout and grow very fast so you can have a succession of healthy salad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

And sprouts, again tasty and healthy, quick and fast to grow. Actually I must do some myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you go away from the edible indoor plants, one of the easiest and most satisfactory plants is an orchid. One of those with the wide, fleshy leaves that you can buy in the supermarket! Admire the flowers for ages, when they die cut back the flowering spike, water occasionally and feed once, and watch another spike come up and flower again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Little olive trees make great indoor plants, easy to care for, tolerant of warm or cool temperatures, and only needing watering when the soil is dry. They will flower too in a bright place and eventually produce little olives, although I read somewhere that you have to treat these in some special way before you can actually eat them. A calamondin orange plant makes a great houseplant too, and you get flowers and fruit together. You need to buy this coming into flower really. I seem to recall that Lidl sell both the citruses and olives in the autumn, so it's worth watching out for them. A small pomegranate (punica granata nana) can be grown from seed and will eventually produce little fruits. Lastly, a small rosemary plant, which can be bought in loads of nurseries, makes a great houseplant and is definitely edible as a flavouring herb (in moderation) and I believe can be used in a homemade hair rinse too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

aloe vera is very easy to grow on a windowsill, requiring little maintainance and is great for sunburn in the summer.

Advertisement