Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitting on Rifle Barrel

• 07-09-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Have left my gun in the safe for 2 weeks to come back to find pitting in some areas,Im pretty sure i wiped it down before i put it back in the safe as i normally do with gun oil,Any ideas remove the pitting prevent it from spreading tried wiping it with a cloth and oil but id say theres not enough friction to remove it?Id say the gun might need re bluing in the future but want to avoid that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

1shot16 wrote: »
    Have left my gun in the safe for 2 weeks to come back to find pitting in some areas,Im pretty sure i wiped it down before i put it back in the safe as i normally do with gun oil,Any ideas remove the pitting prevent it from spreading tried wiping it with a cloth and oil but id say theres not enough friction to remove it?Id say the gun might need re bluing in the future but want to avoid that!

You seem to have had nothing but issues with that feckin thing. You might want to try this ... Frog lube... Check it out. I use it on all my guns, live near the sea and have never had the slightest issues with pitting, rust, or anything else. I normally treat the outside surfaces of my guns twice a year, max, so far so good.

If you do get it, get the paste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

bravestar wrote: »
    You seem to have had nothing but issues with that feckin thing. You might want to try this ... Frog lube... Check it out. I use it on all my guns, live near the sea and have never had the slightest issues with pitting, rust, or anything else. I normally treat the outside surfaces of my guns twice a year, max, so far so good.

If you do get it, get the paste.

I know fairly pissed when i came home and saw it :/ ah sure once i can keep it at bay for a few years will get a brand new one! im the most particular person when it comes to cleaning the thing making sure i clean it everyday but since im back to boardin school i can only clean it every 2 weeks and its not like i can just take it to school :P

Will frog lube get rid of the pitting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Go to your local Euro Store and buy a humidity absorber and place it in your gun safe. This will not cure your pitting but will help to control moisture that may be causing it. If your away ensure that the area your using for storage is kept warm.

Gun is in a garage thats double blocked and insulated was fine during the hot/warm summer but not now i guess.Bring there safe and it inside i guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I know fairly pissed when i came home and saw it :/ ah sure once i can keep it at bay for a few years will get a brand new one! im the most particular person when it comes to cleaning the thing making sure i clean it everyday but since im back to boardin school i can only clean it every 2 weeks and its not like i can just take it to school :P

Will frog lube get rid of the pitting?

It will help clean it off and protect against further damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Is it surface rust or pitting.

Why don't you keep it in the house?

Doesn't matter if the safe is insulated. If condensation (warm gun in a cold safe) gets on the gun in an insulated safe its going to do the same thing as leaving it outside.

Is it surface rust or pitting.

Why don't you keep it in the house?

Doesn't matter if the safe is insulated. If condensation (warm gun in a cold safe) gets on the gun in an insulated safe its going to do the same thing as leaving it outside.

Looks like pitting tiny spots very hard to get off!

Parents didnt want guns in the house so i sed id leave it in the garage but they seem to be okay with putting the safe in the house now as im safe with it etc..Guns inside now and will be installing it in the house tomorrow.Just wondering would it be a bad idea to put it near a radiator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.brunox.com/website/productpages/Turbo-Spray-en.html

In EU Brunox is also a good option. Displaces moisture. In and out of humidity and A/C you get problems, and in ROI I guess your all near the ocean, sort of. Even if in house, I would get a good protectant, although to keep mom happy, you may want to apply it in the garage :)

EWQuinn wrote: »
    http://www.brunox.com/website/productpages/Turbo-Spray-en.html

In EU Brunox is also a good option. Displaces moisture. In and out of humidity and A/C you get problems, and in ROI I guess your all near the ocean, sort of. Even if in house, I would get a good protectant, although to keep mom happy, you may want to apply it in the garage :)

May get somthing the stuff im using may not be the best!

Shes fairly okay with me bringing to safe into the house just wants the gun in the safe with a trigger lock for extra security and it to be bolt to the wall also.Has been left inside the last nite or 2 anyways shes not freaked out about it.

May get somthing the stuff im using may not be the best!

Shes fairly okay with me bringing to safe into the house just wants the gun in the safe with a trigger lock for extra security and it to be bolt to the wall also.Has been left inside the last nite or 2 anyways shes not freaked out about it.

Sounds like she has the right security measures in mind. Yep, the superior protectants are the ones that seek out the voids and displace moisture. Often like Brunox they come from industrial applications. Not sure what it costs over there, but once purchased would not have to use much, you can use the regular stuff to clean the guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Some rifles just rust no matter how much oil goes on. What sometimes helps is to take the action out of the stock and wash all the metal bits with hot soap water, rinse very well, dry with towel and flush the barrelled action with wd40. Wipe dry and oil with gun oil.
    edi

Have it inside now with a nice lot of oil on it!I guess since its a under lever air rifle the lever and barrel is handled alot and maybe the previous owner did not take great care of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Keep silica gel in ur safe. Pitting won't rub away. Has to be built up. Old fashoned method was lead fill. If theres any man who knows how to repair it, its Eamon Galvin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ejg wrote: »
    ... take the action out of the stock and wash all the metal bits with hot soap water, rinse very well, dry with towel and flush the barrelled action with wd40. Wipe dry and oil with gun oil.
    edi
    +1
    That's exactly how I cleaned the cosmoline out of mein Mauser!

Will be home to check on it tomorrow hopefully its not worse!If so ill dry it, apply wd40 and then gun oil.The previous owner probably didnt take care of it.... never buying 2nd hand again better off brand new i guess

G

Gun seems to be fine,One problem does the gun have to be bolted to a wall because i dont they want holes drilled inside or would it be okay to just leave it in the safe.It says bolted to the wall so i guess im only rising getting the gun taking off me if i dont have it bolted to the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If the guards come to check the safe and it's freestanding you're in sh1t and if someone breaks in they'll just pick the whole safe up and go.

Theres 4 holes to bolt the thing to the wall could i get away with 2 or even 1...skirting board is in the way even more awkward if i dont get it done 2moro it wont be done for 3 weeks :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Where is it being put?

If its in a cupboard/wardrobe lift the Skirting out and leave it in the cupboard beside the safe for refitting latter on.

image_zps02bc9539.jpg

If you see in this photo, I've removed the skirting and kept it inside the cupboard for refitting at a latter date.

Failing bolting it to the wall, lay it down on its back and bolt it to the floor...

• Advertisement

Lift it over the skirting and bolt it to the wall.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Where is it being put?

If its in a cupboard/wardrobe lift the Skirting out and leave it in the cupboard beside the safe for refitting latter on.

My bedroom :D
    Blay wrote: »
    Lift it over the skirting and bolt it to the wall.

Didnt think of that..in a few months im thinking of up grading to a seven or eight gun safe to have plenty of room for more guns (hopefully 3 rifles and a shotgun :o )i was hoping to get away with the safe free standing but if the guards check i wont own another gun again!

Many convince them to bolt it to the wall or might as well sell it to avoid it rusting to shi*e in the garage!

So an air rifle is the same as a rimfire or full bore rifle under the law?

Yeah, all rifles have to be in a safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you are going to bolt it to a concrete floor or brick wall, Tapcon blue bolts could not be any easier.
    EWQuinn wrote: »
    So an air rifle is the same as a rimfire or full bore rifle under the law?

Y'ep.

Heck, there's places in the US where buying an AR is no different than buying the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun!

Advertisement