Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Secondary school would you choose and why in Enniscorthy?

Options
  • 07-09-2013 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

We are looking for some guidance as to what Secondary school in Enniscorthy would best suit our son.
    Preferably a mixed school with good extra curricular activities and good exam results history.
    Where would you recommend and why? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Vocational school is mixed and has more trade related subjects,otherwise it's the CBS which has a decent academic record afaik.Boys only though.
    There is an Irish speaking secondary school if he is fluent in the lingo which is mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Would you consider the FCJ in Bunclody? I know it's a hike, but it has a good record.

Personally, I wouldn't be wild about the CBS - but I don't want to start a big debate on that point - it's my personal opinion.

Several teachers from town used to send their kids to the FCJ - in the locality, it's about the only mixed school with a good record that I can think of. (Open to correction....)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

blindsider wrote: »
    Would you consider the FCJ in Bunclody? I know it's a hike, but it has a good record.

Personally, I wouldn't be wild about the CBS - but I don't want to start a big debate on that point - it's my personal opinion.

Several teachers from town used to send their kids to the FCJ - in the locality, it's about the only mixed school with a good record that I can think of. (Open to correction....)

FCJ is a moneypit,a lot of parents are not sending students there due to the high cost,'contributions' are expected to be paid for virtually everything-it'd be nearly as cheap to send a kid to a private school.

Enniscorthy VEC is fast becoming the school of choice in Enniscorthy.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »

Enniscorthy VEC is fast becoming the school of choice in Enniscorthy.

+1 Totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

'Contributions' are the bane of the education system. no doubt about that - and I find it hard to excuse them at all.

For the OP, this might be useful, as they specifically mentioned 'exam results history' http://www.schooldays.ie/secondary-schools-in-ireland/Wexford

Click on a school - then click on 'College Progression Stats' on the Left hand side.

What school to choose is completely subjective, and what suits one kid, will not suit another. There's snobbery involved on all sides, and the basic needs of the kid are often forgotten.

IMO, try to talk to parents and kids of each school and see how they found it etc - it'll give you some chance of making the right decision.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hgm

Thank you all for your input its a great help. We are looking more so at The VEC, so it's good to hear positive stories about it.

Blindsider cheers for that link I will have a read now. :)

Advertisement