Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

criminal law solicitors

• 07-09-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

someone i know was involved in an aggravated burglary after getting caught up on a drunken night out with some dodgey people. incident happened in august 2012

can someone advice on one of the best criminal law solicitors in dublin? he had a meeting with one of cahir o'higgins associates last august and was told to contact them again when case comes up

he was also looking into michael staines and michael hanahoe. anyone know which one would be best suited? and give him the best representation for this in court?

my friend is also wondering when this is likely to come up from the DPP? since it happened last august. also how is he likely to find out about the court date? letter or visit from the gardai to home residence? how long after will the case come up generally?

he is in his last year of college currently and thinks it is kind of futile to stay in college and finish his last year if he is going to end up going to prison as a result of the case

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

How does your friend just get caught up in an aggrevated burglary after meeting random dodgy people on a night out? I'm very curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

You're the best criminal law solicitor Cahir O'Higgins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Hi it does not matter what solicitors you friend gets, The case will dealt on the facts. As for staying in college and finishing, Well if it's not a "typo" & your friend had been charged with "aggravated buggery" the Collage may ask him to leave pending the out come of any court case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

O Higgins is a very good firm as are the others mentioned.

Aggravated burglary is a very serious offence. If this goes to the Circuit Court you could be looking at serious prison time.
    If your friend has not been in trouble before i.e. no previous convictions, I would recommend staying in college and finishing the course. He must be able to show the Judge that this offence was a complete one off, that it was as a result of stupid over indulgence in alcohol, that he regrets it completely, that he will never reoffend. He can do this by showing the court that he has completed his college course etc.
    Maybe proof that he attended some counsellor for his alcohol issue would be help as well. I am not saying he is an alcoholic but his behaviour on the night was as a result of loss of control and responsibility due to alcohol. If he is prepared to plead guilty a word with the prosecuting Garda might be no harm either, Explain how stupid he has been, that he is back in college etc. If you have the Garda on your side in the court the Judge will get the correct vibe when he asks the Garda about your friends background etc.

Some may disagree but I don't think someones life should be destroyed over one stupid mistake especially when a person is prepared to own up and make amends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Buggery or burglary?

Need to sort that out.

All the names you mention are good offices.

As already advised stay in college.

Has there been compensation for any damage to the premises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    O Higgins is a very good firm as are the others mentioned.

Aggravated burglary is a very serious offence. If this goes to the Circuit Court you could be looking at serious prison time.
    If your friend has not been in trouble before i.e. no previous convictions, I would recommend staying in college and finishing the course. He must be able to show the Judge that this offence was a complete one off, that it was as a result of stupid over indulgence in alcohol, that he regrets it completely, that he will never reoffend. He can do this by showing the court that he has completed his college course etc.
    Maybe proof that he attended some counsellor for his alcohol issue would be help as well. I am not saying he is an alcoholic but his behaviour on the night was as a result of loss of control and responsibility due to alcohol. If he is prepared to plead guilty a word with the prosecuting Garda might be no harm either, Explain how stupid he has been, that he is back in college etc. If you have the Garda on your side in the court the Judge will get the correct vibe when he asks the Garda about your friends background etc.

Some may disagree but I don't think someones life should be destroyed over one stupid mistake especially when a person is prepared to own up and make amends

thanks for the helpful reply. he has never been in trouble with the guards before, he is 21, trying to raise a child and get his degree to support his family. he also has not drank since the night of the case but i suppose he could not prove that in court. he has no problem admitting he was in the wrong that night but it was totally out of character and could not be anymore remorseful. he will do anything to avoid prison time

does anyone know when this is likely to come back from the DPP? it happened august 2012

also from the 3 names solicitors, would one would not the best for this case? would someone recommend one of them?

thanks for the helpful reply. he has never been in trouble with the guards before, he is 21, trying to raise a child and get his degree to support his family. he also has not drank since the night of the case but i suppose he could not prove that in court. he has no problem admitting he was in the wrong that night but it was totally out of character and could not be anymore remorseful. he will do anything to avoid prison time

does anyone know when this is likely to come back from the DPP? it happened august 2012

also from the 3 names solicitors, would one would not the best for this case? would someone recommend one of them?

The three solicitor firms mentioned are all excellent. I certainly wouldn't recommend one over the other. Why not stay with O Higgin's?
    As for the delay. If this is a straightforward case there should have been some developments by now. Do we know for certain that the Gardaí have sent a file to the DPP? An enquiry by your solicitor to the DPPs office should establish whether or not it has. It may be that the Garda hasn't submitted a file perhaps due to difficulty with getting a statement from the injured party.
    In any case this matter cannot be allowed hang over your friend. If the State has a case they should bring it forward. Undue delay will stand in your friend's favour.

From what you have posted it would seem that your friend has a lot of positive sides to him which will stand him good stead in court.
    Judges are not as bad as they are painted and are a lot more in touch with the ordinary people than is generally thought. ( I see a well known Judge in my local bookies on a very regular basis! No problem for him to argue the merits of McCoy over Ruby Walsh)

Best of luck to all

nuac wrote: »
    Buggery or burglary?

Need to sort that out.

All the names you mention are good offices.

As already advised stay in college.

Has there been compensation for any damage to the premises?

It's aggravated BURGLARY. No mention of buggery never mind aggravated buggery. Is there such an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The three solicitor firms mentioned are all excellent. I certainly wouldn't recommend one over the other. Why not stay with O Higgin's?
    As for the delay. If this is a straightforward case there should have been some developments by now. Do we know for certain that the Gardaí have sent a file to the DPP? An enquiry by your solicitor to the DPPs office should establish whether or not it has. It may be that the Garda hasn't submitted a file perhaps due to difficulty with getting a statement from the injured party.
    In any case this matter cannot be allowed hang over your friend. If the State has a case they should bring it forward. Undue delay will stand in your friend's favour.

From what you have posted it would seem that your friend has a lot of positive sides to him which will stand him good stead in court.
    Judges are not as bad as they are painted and are a lot more in touch with the ordinary people than is generally thought. ( I see a well known Judge in my local bookies on a very regular basis! No problem for him to argue the merits of McCoy over Ruby Walsh)

Best of luck to all

you've been very helpful, cheers for the replies

Advertisement