Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Bump a local Kerry business' thread!

Options
  • 07-09-2013 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, if you have recieved exceptional service from a local business or service (in the Kerry area) post about it here.
    We have had enough buisiness bashing postings on the other threads on the forum, so here's one for buisinesses that provide services and products that are above expectations, or are just plain feel good people to deal with!

So....what's out there that's making you feel good about dealing with them?!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

As the title suggests, if you have recieved exceptional service from a local business or service (in the Kerry area) post about it here.
    We have had enough buisiness bashing postings on the other threads on the forum, so here's one for buisinesses that provide services and products that are above expectations, or are just plain feel good people to deal with!

So....what's out there that's making you feel good about dealing with them?!:)

great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah jeez where to begin with Good Local Businesses in Kerry like; you might see a lot of me in this thread :o

First Up so:
    ~ Deenach Lodge, Killarney. Every time I am in there I feel at home with the service being so warm & friendly and even sitting outside it's peaceful and relaxing.
    Sometimes I am in there whilst 'exercising' and even considering that; I never feel bad for eating some yummy cake with a coffee :)

Yes. Deenach Lodge a definite for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah jeez where to begin with Good Local Businesses in Kerry like; you might see a lot of me in this thread :o

First Up so:
    ~ Deenach Lodge, Killarney. Every time I am in there I feel at home with the service being so warm & friendly and even sitting outside it's peaceful and relaxing.
    Sometimes I am in there whilst 'exercising' and even considering that; I never feel bad for eating some yummy cake with a coffee :)

Hi Kerry4Sam

Thanks for the accolade. Claire and the staff will be delighted.

Deenach is much more than a business, it is also a Education centre for adults with DS and would not survive without the support that we get from Kerry people.
    The difference that it has made cannot be measured in Euro.

Newman

^^^ Please pass that on Newman10 :)

Okay next up for me has to be Our An Post Lads n Lassies.

Considering the times that they are up for work it always warms my heart to meet them throughout my day as they are always so bubbly and happy - Always! Always have a friendly word for me when I meet them in work, or at home.
    An Post, oh yeah - they deliver post too! Never a complaint by me on their delivery or times for postage :)

Second for me will be An Post, Always a Pleasure to meet their employees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nolans Esso Service Station North Circular Road,

I have praised them before on the Tralee thread, however I am delighted to mention them again on this new and more specific thread.

The gentlemen on the forecourt are polite , friendly and extremely helpful.

Meanwhile the ladies in the shop are equally efficient, polite , friendly and helpful.

Nolan's Service Station is a credit to both the owner and his busy team.

Well done!:)

• Advertisement

During a recent visit from our nieces who live in the UK, one of the girls decided at short notice she would like a riding lesson. The other girl decided she wanted to go surfing instead. No problem, surfing was arranged in Banna without any fuss.

However I was stumped when it came to Equestrian Centres. A quick google and I came up with Tralee Equestrian Centre, contacted them and confirmed that my niece could have a riding lesson at midday with no fuss.

We brought the 6 year old to the centre where she was allowed wander around the stables and acquaint herself with the surroundings.

The riding lesson took place, with wonderful instructors who managed to turn a total beginner into a rider who could jump small fences.

This whole event became the highlight of this young lady's holiday.

Well done to the Hayes family on running such a wonderful centre in what is a most relaxed and pleasant environment.:)

Great breakfast this morning in O'Donnells.

Food and service always good.

Very well managed business with a great crew onboard.

A pleasure to visit

Hi All,

Can we put our backs into this one please? Where are all the coffee shops restaurants,gluten free food shops, bars, boutiques.,hair salons, hotels........ Have we gone asleep?

C'mon I am not the only one spending money in Tralee:P This is a great opportunity to promote all that is good in Tralee, and why we should support local business.

This is a fabulous opportunity to promote a business with whom you have had a pleasant customer shopping or service experience.

Is it possible for everyone to mention at least 3 places, restaurant, garage, or coffee shop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I haven't been out much of late, but last time I was out for a meal it was to Denny Lane for Tapas! Such a nice atmosphere in there at night and the staff are lovely, in particular the owner Julieanne (although I am biased as I know her!). We have a voucher and we are hopefully going back in the next couple of weeks! I was really impressed with the Tapas, having had them in Spain, they were as good :)
    I think I heard they now have an Italian beer on tap! :)

As for retail shops in the town, the service in Soundstore is pretty good, and they have pretty competitive. We recently had to get a new tv, and they are really helpful.

Busy day today !

Thought, no cooking, put the feet up.......food?????

Yes, takeaway.................... The Tamarind, Thai Restaurant Tralee.

Dinner sorted, takeaway for the two of us. DELICIOUS!

Well done to Angeline and her wonderful team. Always a pleasure to meet such very nice people:)

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't been out much of late, but last time I was out for a meal it was to Denny Lane for Tapas! Such a nice atmosphere in there at night and the staff are lovely, in particular the owner Julieanne (although I am biased as I know her!). We have a voucher and we are hopefully going back in the next couple of weeks! I was really impressed with the Tapas, having had them in Spain, they were as good :)
    I think I heard they now have an Italian beer on tap! :)

As for retail shops in the town, the service in Soundstore is pretty good, and they have pretty competitive. We recently had to get a new tv, and they are really helpful.

Yes Julieanne is a lovely lady , runs a very nice restaurant, very efficient, friendly staff. Coincidentally ,her husband Enda runs the lovely Tankard Bar and Restaurant on the coast road to Sunny Fenit.
    I must say I really enjoy Tapas and look forward to sampling some when I go to Spain next week.
    Soundstore are excellent for service and their prices are very competitive.
    I like the relaxed atmosphere. During the Summer I purchased a new TV for my wifes parents. Very helpful and informative staff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

I personally love Eugene McGraths veterinary surgery/shop down the little lane by Garvey's, nearly always pop in, even just to say hello at this stage, always have time for you, no matter how small or big your problem may be, and Neenagh (not sure on spelling) the cat is a little dote!

+ "pet corner" don't go In there as often as I used but friendly inside there too

The Daily Grind, been in Tralee for years and only finally checked this place out back in July *handovereyes* : they do lovely pancakes, nice to have the choice of sitting inside or out.

went to the place in the square, cant think of the name, its a bar near subway. . .but had the nicest omelette!

and Il Pomodoro went there for dinner one evening with Mum, cant wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Feet First, Killarney

Decided to run the Dublin marathon this year so I also decided to get a pair of proper running shoes. The staff were extremely and threw in a few free extras with the purchase which is always nice. Nice to deal with people who know what they're on about and not a feeling you'd get in Elverys or Lifestyle I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Iv been dealing with Trophyworld up in Boherbee in Tralee of late, and I can't fault the service given there.
    They do a huge line of stuff, tshirts and the like and Bernie will always make the time to make sure that you are sorted out.

Also, Copywrite up near Manor are absolutly excellent for any print or design needs. Chris the owner is a genius on the computer and a very sound guy to deal with.

Called into the Art & Hobbies shop in Castle Street Tralee on Friday.

Needed advice and to purchase some materials.

Lady there was very attentive, courteous, knowledgeable and polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hbklovinh

Called into the Art & Hobbies shop in Castle Street Tralee on Friday.

Needed advice and to purchase some materials.

Lady there was very attentive, courteous, knowledgeable and polite.

Quillians fish shop very friendly staff always smiling
    Darcys very good staff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

World Of Wonder is awesome!
    Picked up some books for my daughter, each under a €5. Lady in there was really friendly and courteous.

My wife & I had Dinner in Bella Bia this pm.

Great Service, lovely food, nice crowd , very pleasant atmosphere.

Well done! Will be back again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

My wife & I had Dinner in Bella Bia this pm.

Great Service, lovely food, nice crowd , very pleasant atmosphere.

Well done! Will be back again!:)

I've lived here 3 years and never been. Must go next time I'm flush :D

Umekichi wrote: »

Be kind to yourself, worth a visit, you won't be disappointed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

My girlfriend and I ate here on a quiet Wednesday after a spur of the moment decision to go out. It was our first time eating in The Med since the switch over from Robertinos and we weren't disappointed. No starters for us, only main course (Lasagne for her, Pescatora for me) and dessert (Profiteroles and chocolate mousse). Everything cooked perfectly. I am not a huge seafood fan but I was delighted with the pescatora and will definitely have it again. She loves lasagne and said it was cooked perfectly. Portions are very generous also.

Lucy, our server was fantastic. She took very good care of us and everyone else there without being intrusive. A very friendly person too. Total cost for 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of Prosecco was €70 which I thought was great value given the portion sizes and service we recieved. Will definitely be back.

That is my review of Robertino's "The Med" on high Street Killarney, copy and paste from TripAdvisor. We are still talking about it a few weeks later so I booked a table for valentines there last night as a surprise for my OH.

Also gonna mention the Fair Hill Butchers, Killarney. Opposite the dungeon, beside the courthouse. Forgot to get mince in tesco last week and was walking past the butchers so popped in, I will be buying all my meat here from now on. The guy was very friendly and gave me some cooking tips when I told him what I was making. They had plenty of specials up too.

Umekichi wrote: »

they do a very reasonable early bird menu :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Just came across this thread, tryna think of a few places but one l must mention and cant think of the name for the life of me, but that small shop between the shopping arcade and shoe rack in tralee....the shop where you can get your key cut and other house nik nacks....that elderly man seems like a gent! not many his type around anymore!

O'mahonys bakery, holy fook they make nicey creamy sponge buns and cakes!! The tall blonde lady is lovely too! Staff at the library always seem helpful and nice!

Just came across this thread, tryna think of a few places but one l must mention and cant think of the name for the life of me, but that small shop between the shopping arcade and shoe rack in tralee....the shop where you can get your key cut and other house nik nacks....that elderly man seems like a gent! not many his type around anymore!

O'mahonys bakery, holy fook they make nicey creamy sponge buns and cakes!! The tall blonde lady is lovely too! Staff at the library always seem helpful and nice!

Benners...or as its locally known as 'Small Benners' :) (it was so that it wasn't confused with Benners Hotel when it was open!)

I really like the service Atlantic Oils give in Ardfert! They are great for delivering oil really quickly and at short notice if you are stuck!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I really like the service Atlantic Oils give in Ardfert! They are great for delivering oil really quickly and at short notice if you are stuck!

Agree totally. They have supplied oil to Residence Del for the last 14 years. Always very pleasant and efficient service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I went into Willie Ryles recently with a voucher that was 14 months old. It clearly stated on the voucher that it expired after 12 months (probably not strictly legal). However, they accepted the voucher, No questions asked which I thought was pretty decent.

Cronins foodstore in Killarney - definitely getting my vote in here :)

It is a small, local, family-owned/run store but getting my vote for the history of the family and what they do for the locals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cronins foodstore in Killarney - definitely getting my vote in here :)

It is a small, local, family-owned/run store but getting my vote for the history of the family and what they do for the locals!

I would say the same for Doyles on Muckross Road next to the Dromhall hotel. Quite possibly the friendliest man I have ever met owns and runs it.

Also, another hat tip to the Fairhill butchers. I've been back in twice since I last bumped them and both times he gave me free stuff, sausages for me and some scraps for the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

First Up so:

Love that place and last year took American visitors there and they loved it too.

Advertisement