Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 Finals

• 07-09-2013 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hawthorn looked the business last night against Sydney, even without Cyril and Buddy. They'll be hard stopped on that evidence. Sydney could well struggle to win next week, they looked completely flat in the second half.

Heading along to the MCG tonight and probably tomorrow. I expect us to win tonight but Port are no pushovers and have nothing to lose. I'd bite your hand off for a 1 point win!

Carlton have been so poor for most of the year but they could turn Richmond over tomorrow, particularly as its new territory for most of the Tigers players. They still should win though.

Hard to see Geelong losing today, but Freo will look to turn it into a lonw scoring dogfight. They'll be encouraged by Brisbane's performance down there last week and if anyone can win in the Cattery its a team like Freo.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

well, some surprising results in that first round! Finals footy is definietely here!

As good as Hawthorn were, I was really disappointed in Sydney. they looked awful. Hawks definietly the form team now though.

Freo had some win. To go down to Geelong and beat them there, coming from behind, I think they will get to the GF. If I read things right, chances are they will be playing Sydney next (as I expect them to turn over Carlton). I think Freo, in Subi, will win through.

The Collywobbles were out in full force on Saturday. A game they had for the taking, and they completely took their eye of it and a massive finish from Port Adelaide saw them through. They completely dominated the last quarter, and had a load of chances to really put Collingwood away, but finally the goals came and they won with a pitiful Collingwood effort to try and stop them. Buckleys position is surely in doubt now.

And poor old Richmond. They were giving Carlton a battering, and had the game won, and again, a huge last quarter from the blues saw them win out. Richmond were looking really good, but they just lost their way really badly in the last few minutes and Carlton got a good run on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yeah, a few very surprising results this weekend. Collingwood whimpered out while Freo were very impressive against the Cats. I think Freo look like a good bet to make the GF now and I could see them winning it, unless they are playing the Hawks.

I don't think the Carlton win was that big of a surprise. Yes, Richmond were favourites but ladder position meant nothing for a game like that and recent games between the two have all been very close, all <10 points. I'm a blues fan so may have had the tinted goggles on but it proved to be right in the end.

I'm liking the fact that everyone seems to be writing us off against Sydney. They were very poor in the second half against Hawthorn and have now lost 4 of the last 5 (albeit against some quality sides). On the other hand, Carlton have now won 4 of the last 5. We can't afford to give Sydney the headstart we've been giving teams recently but with doubts over personnel for the Swans, this is as good a time as any to be playing them. Close game for me, less than 2 goals in it at the end.

Great win for Port against the Pies but I fear this is the end of the road for them. Geelong have lost 4 times this year and have followed up each loss with resounding wins, with two of those rebound wins coming against Port. I'm going to put my neck on the line and say the Cats will win this one by 8+ goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

GO DOCKERS!!!!!!! :D:D

Fantastic weekend of footy. Gotta love finals :)

I think the pressure got to Richmond. They will be back next year better for the experience.

Can Port do it again? Defy the odds one more time this season? Knock the Cats out in straight sets? Cats are always hard to beat coming off a loss. Ill be shouting for Port though.
    (It was great to see the smugness wiped off Eddie McGuire's face:))

Carlton V Sydney will be a good game and closer than a lot of people think. Carlton have their tails up and Whaite is firing, Sydney are carrying a few injured and sore players. Either way, i would give Freo the odds over either of them in a prelim in Subi.

Hawks v. Dockers grand final. Raging that I wont be able to go :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Some game between between Geelong and Hawthorn.
    I'm in work at 2 but there's no way I'm missing the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

What a game...well worth the extortionate price the AFL put on the ticket. One of the all time great AFL rivalries and the atmosphere at the game matched the intensity on the field.

Sam Mitchell is definitely the most underrated player of his generation, Stevie J the most gifted.

Varcoe will be haunted by that balls up forever.

Hawthorn will win it out now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

SSK wrote: »
    What a game...well worth the extortionate price the AFL put on the ticket. One of the all time great AFL rivalries and the atmosphere at the game matched the intensity on the field.

Sam Mitchell is definitely the most underrated player of his generation, Stevie J the most gifted.

Varcoe will be haunted by that balls up forever.

Hawthorn will win it out now

Fantastic game alright. Glad Hawks won it, think this generation deserve another flag, hopefully they can back it up next week and be a bit mote accurate in goal kicking.

Don't really think Mitchell is that underrated, he has polled 56 votes and finished 2nd in last 2 Brownlows, albeit he was ineligible anyway. He is an amazing man around centre clearances, seems to create space out of nothing and always gets kick or massive handball away.

Only got around to watching the second prelim last night.
    Fair play to Freo, have to say I thought a big factor in their top 4 finish was their easier home/away schedule this season but they've certainly established themselves as a top team now.

I guess there was signs there even last season with some big performances.

Hawks will obviously be the ultimate test for them, as they've been the best team in the comp for three years now and should have accounted for Sydney with hindsight(thinking of their combined results of the past 3 seasons:Very unlucky to go down to C'wood in a thriller in 2011, could have made 3 finals).

bruschi wrote: »
    The Collywobbles were out in full force on Saturday. A game they had for the taking, and they completely took their eye of it and a massive finish from Port Adelaide saw them through. They completely dominated the last quarter, and had a load of chances to really put Collingwood away, but finally the goals came and they won with a pitiful Collingwood effort to try and stop them. Buckleys position is surely in doubt now.

Collingwood have had a poor year all round. The signs were on the wall early in the season for that exit.

Being honest, if they had to face Hawthorn during the finals(which they would have) they'd have lost, the Hawks just have the measure of them. I think on their day though they could have taken any of the others.

Buckley hasn't alleviated the reliance on Cloke. He's probably the best contested mark in the AFL, but of all the power forwards, he's by far the least accurate.

Through a bit of fortune mid-game they were able to switch Reid and continue to play him there for the season after an immediate impact. This just lead to further problems at the other end of the ground though.

The discipline this year is also a factor, so many needless 50 metre penalties were given away this season(Shaw had a hatful) at crucial times in games they went onto lose(Brisbane being one, coughed up two quick goals because of it) which lead to missing out on the top 4.

The year wasn't a complete write off though, as some new players established themselves well in their 1st/2nd seasons.
    Elliot looks like a player that could become a great crumbing forward with a bit more confidence to impose himself on a game. Can take some mark for a lad of his height and had at least two mark of the year contenders.
    Marly Williams looks a gamey player aswell, fearless in his pursuit of the ball.
    Sinclair, O'Keffe(though missed most of the season), Witts, Grundy all gave good contributions.

Just some surgery needed in the full forward/full back positions but I'm not sure if Bucks is the man. The additions this year didn't contribute much(Lynch prob the best and his set shots were atrocious)

Advertisement