Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room for a couple in Vancouver asap

Options
  • 07-09-2013 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in Vancouver at the moment staying in a hostel, got a job almost sorted and the girlfriend is joining me next week. I'm hoping some of you lovely people would know somewhere closeish to downtown around the 600 mark. Not looking for anything fancy, would live in a cupboard if we have to:)

I know it's a bit of an ask but any help would be greatly appreciated. And if any boardsies fancy a pint or a meetup some evening I'm keen.

Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Wanderer81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in Vancouver at the moment staying in a hostel, got a job almost sorted and the girlfriend is joining me next week. I'm hoping some of you lovely people would know somewhere closeish to downtown around the 600 mark. Not looking for anything fancy, would live in a cupboard if we have to:)

I know it's a bit of an ask but any help would be greatly appreciated. And if any boardsies fancy a pint or a meetup some evening I'm keen.

Dermot

Have a look in here Dermot

CLICKY PADMAPPER

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Thanks Ciaran, thats just what I'm looking for. I'm not overly fussy about the area but I heard Hastings is not the best. What's it like out in North Van?

Thanks Ciaran, thats just what I'm looking for. I'm not overly fussy about the area but I heard Hastings is not the best. What's it like out in North Van?

East Hastings from downtown out to probably Campbell isnt the best.

North Van is more family orientated but its close to downtown which is the bonus. Ive lived here for 8 odd years and used to it but it can be a bit of a mare getting off over the bridges and not as much nightlife but being an old fec_ker its good for us :)

Cambie to Main and Broadway to 33rd would be a good square to look at. Better bars and nightlife and close to downtown on Skytrain/Canada Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Cambie to Main and Broadway to 33rd would be a good square to look at. Better bars and nightlife and close to downtown on Skytrain/Canada Line.
    This!

Also, check out the listings on craigslist, there's also a map view which is very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Any other recommendations?

I primarily use Craigslist which I like overall but if there's any other good sites out there I'd love to try them!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Any other recommendations?

I primarily use Craigslist which I like overall but if there's any other good sites out there I'd love to try them!:rolleyes:

I would recommend Padmapper, you can download the app or check the website. It maps all the accommodation from all the providers like Craigslist, Kijiji or whatever. I found it very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sugarcubeh

I recommend you to find a place close to the subway/sky train line.
    I live on Cambie St. which has many subway stations on it, very convenient.
    And you can find many stores and restaurants around.
    As housing hunting website, many people use craigslist and kijiji.
    And I also found one website is very helpful, and very easy to use,
    www.rentalguru.ca

Hope you will find a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Thanks for the replies everyone, I found a place on Haro street. Its a studio share so its cheap and cheerful.

I was living out in Burnaby for 2 months which wasn't the best option for working downtown as it was in Zone 2 and around 45 mins to an hour to get to work on skytrain and buses. A 2 zone monthly pass was costing me $124.

Now I can walk to work in 10mins which is handy and I'm close to the nightlife and shops.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I found a place on Haro street. Its a studio share so its cheap and cheerful.

I was living out in Burnaby for 2 months which wasn't the best option for working downtown as it was in Zone 2 and around 45 mins to an hour to get to work on skytrain and buses. A 2 zone monthly pass was costing me $124.

Now I can walk to work in 10mins which is handy and I'm close to the nightlife and shops.

God I hate Burnaby.

Studio share... two of you in one room?! You do realise most call that a relationship? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Yeah I was watching the Skytrain fares and locations, I did think it would be best to stretch to zone 2 but no further. Commuting 30 mins or so in fare zone 2 with more reasonable rent seems like a cosier way to start off at least. Even when I do get work, as stunning as downtown is, I'm not sure I'd bother forking out for the rent...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement