Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence question-

Options
  • 07-09-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Ok a mate is after changing his cz .223 for a ruger m77 in 223. He only renewed the licence 3 months ago on the cz.. Anaway done the deal with the rfd left in his rifle and collected all the relevant paperwork and headed for the station... Was told he had to fill up the for to cancel the cz licence which is fair enought but then was told he had to fully re-apply for the new one.. As in new form permissions again the whole lot...

Now my question is should it not just be a like for like change over instead of the whole hassle of a full application again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

emk2 wrote: »

Now my question is should it not just be a like for like change over instead of the whole hassle of a full application again...

Yes it should be. A bolt action .223 for a bolt action .223 is as like for like as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

No way he should have to reapply it should be a straight substitution unless there is anything unusual about the new rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emk2

So which forms does he need to fill up...? Or what should he say to the guards...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

emk2 wrote: »
    So which forms does he need to fill up...? Or what should he say to the guards...?

Was it the FO who said this to him or just some mule at the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No, he shouldn't have to reapply in full for a new licence. That will cost him €80 and maybe he'll have to wait 3 months for it. He should apply for a substitution, and the Garda should have told him that.

I think the form is a FAC1 form that he needs to fill in. If memory serves me right, there's a part on it for substitutions. The substitution should take about 14 days, but no guarantees there.

I'm amazed that the Gardaí didn't tell him this.

• Advertisement

Ye it is the Fca1 alright just fill it in and at the start tick the box for substitution. I wouldn't say anymore to the guards just fill I. The form and drop it onto the FO personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ye it is the Fca1 alright just fill it in and at the start tick the box for substitution. I wouldn't say anymore to the guards just fill I. The form and drop it onto the FO personally.

Fca2 I would have thought? That's the amendment or cancellation form if switching like for like

Fca2 is for cancellation on details changing when actually changing the firearm you need to fill in the fca1 again a tick substitution in the first section. But there should be no fee or new license needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

FCA2 is for cancelling a firearm, permanently, or changing a mistake/detail on your current license.

For a substitution you need an FCA1 and use:
    • Section 1 - Tick substitution, and "I have not held a cert............".
    • Section 2 - All of it.
    • Section 2.4 - All of it.
    • Section 3.1 - Input the details of new gun here.
    • Section 3.3 - Dealers details.
    • Section 3.4 - Input your current firearm details here.
    • Section 3.5 - All of it.
    • Section 4.1 - All of it.
    • Section 4.2 - All of it.
    • Section 4.3 or 5.2 - Depending on whether you are a member of a range (4.3) or gun club (5.2).
    • Section 5.1 - All of it.
    • Sign and date it.
    Include the 2 photos as some stations ask for it and others do not so better to be sure. Also fill in a seperate piece of paper with the extra information as required in certain sections.

Its becoming more and more common for certain districts to ask for almost all info to be filled in on the FCA1 even if only doing a sub. Best to fill them in, and send it off to prevent any returns looking for more info. The only things you definitely don't need are the doctor details, and referees.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emk2

Cheers lads ill fill him in... Thanks

• Advertisement

Is that a typo on your first line cass.

Sorry not been smart just a little confused.
    Cass wrote: »
    FCA2 is for cancelling a firearm, permanently, or changing a mistake/detail on your current license.

• Section 2 - All of it.
    • Section 4.3 or 5.2 - Depending on whether you are a member of a range (4.3) or gun club (5.2).
    • Sign and date it.
    Include the 2 photos as some stations ask for it and others do not so better to be sure. Also fill in a seperate piece of paper with the extra information as required in certain sections.

Its becoming more and more common for certain districts to ask for almost all info to be filled in on the FCA1 even if only doing a sub. Best to fill them in, and send it off to prevent any returns looking for more info. The only things you definitely don't need are the doctor details, and referees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Balls, it is. Should have said FCA2.

Sorry lads, the post was meant to clear things up not confuse you more. I've edited all posts to reflect what it should be.

Good catch.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Cass wrote: »

• Section 2 - All of it.
    • Sign and date it.

Spot on.

I submitted a substitution as above for a rifle late last Thursday week, new licence arrived following Wednesday.

I included copies of all the documentation that I submitted when renewing the licence late last year including the reasons for the moderator, photo etc.

Makes it easy for the Super's Office and negates any possible requests for further information. If they didn't want any of the documentation they could just shred them.

Advertisement