Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals & Pet Issues / Rescue Centres thread - Perfectly good debate shut down?

Options
  • 07-09-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I started a thread in Animals & Pet Issues yesterday on
    Rescue Centres... why I'd be hard pushed to deal with them again!
    My main point I was trying to make was some rescue centre operators are letting their clouded judgement get in the way of what the real importance is... the dog's welfare.
    As expected I received a backlash from some users who have a different viewpoint to me on how dogs should be kept. That's fair enough...
    and as the thread rolled on, other people agreed with me and my own situation when trying to offer a last chance dog, the chance of a new life.
    ...Then out of nowhere (and as is the case with many a boards.ie thread) the mod shuts the whole thread down blaming people who are 'non-users' of the forum of trolling, etc...
    As far as I could see a reasonable debate had begun and it didn't suit the mods taste and the fact that some of his/her forum buddies were getting a bit up in arms.
    I tried reason with this moderator 'DBB' via PM and to my amazement was accused of being unreasonable, disrespectful, impolite to the regular forum users???!!!
    When asked to highlight this further, I was told my "beggars can't be choosers" line really offended rescue workers??!!
    I'm sorry but rescue centres for dogs effectively Beg people to take rescue dogs over breeding dogs ALL THE TIME.
    It's understandable... there are thousands of unwanted pets facing the pounds on a daily basis!
    But I'm failing to see how this comment or indeed any of the rest of my comments could cause such a furor over in Animal & Pets.... enough to warrant the closing of a thread?
    I would be interested to hear other independent users views on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057033909

It's threads and over-zealous mods like this that are destroying this place and what it's there for.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rozelia21

Rescue centres do not beg anybody and everybody to take one of their dogs. They work extremely hard in their own spare time to find the best possible homes for their dogs that have probably had a horrible life before ending up there. Unlike pounds they do not put any dogs down, they search tirelessly to find the perfect loving home that will include the dog as part of a family and therefore that dog should never find itself homeless again.

You said your own dog was looking lonely, there is a simple reason there, its because you force it to live outside away from its family except when it gets cold and you feel forced to bring it into the utility. To most rescue centres that is just not good enough. My dog lives inside all year, big furry golden retriever cross, guess what? He only wants to go out when he needs the toilet or if we're going for a walk. He is in no way lonely as the only dog in the house. When we first got him my parents didn't want him inside at all...then that changed to just at night... then that changed to him wriggling his way into their hearts and he is now part of the family and none of us could be without him. That is what being a dog owner is about. He was not happy living outside away from us. He is not treated like a child, he is a loyal, loving, companion who greets everyone with wags and licks and just wants to be with his family as much as possible. If this sounds unreasonable to you then i feel sorry for you and you have no idea what you're missing out on. How much time can you possibly be spending with your dog when he's outside all the time or in the utility? Do you spend all day out there?

SOME dogs may prefer living outside but in my experience that is rare and if the rescue centre is doing its job properly they will know which suits it best before rehoming, so that is probably why you were turned down from rehoming this particular dog. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Reminder: this isn't the animals and pets issues forum. We can talk about the moderation of the forum here, but let's not bring the discussion of a particular issue into this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

sorry Rozelia21 but that discussion has already been ended by one of your mod buddies!
    This thread is to discuss the impartiality of how that thread was prematurely shut down in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ckvet

Sounds like this person the moderate "DBB" is someone who is involved with "dog business" I just got one email from this moderate saying my pos had been deleted and if I advertising again another Facebook groomers page she would report me, I didn't know it wasn't permitted plus the place has things for dog lovers anyway just wanted to say to somebody thanks folks and sorry for anything

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ckvet wrote: »
    Sounds like this person the moderate "DBB" is someone who is involved with "dog business" I just got one email from this moderate saying my pos had been deleted and if I advertising again another Facebook groomers page she would report me, I didn't know it wasn't permitted plus the place has things for dog lovers anyway just wanted to say to somebody thanks folks and sorry for anything

You need to read the rules BEFORE you post.
    Its in black and white.

No advertising your business.If you want to advertise your business contact the site admins and pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know the thread isn't that old, but bumping it might have been OK if the reason for bumping it was on-topic. It wasn't, so I'm closing it for the sake of everyone's sanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement