Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham radio - post collapse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yes but bear i mind t5hat if the end of society is brought about by a nuclear strike, then the EMF burst will have fried all the ICs

so basically any radio made after about 1970 will be toast

if it hasn't got valves, you'll be shouting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

^^ Even if they are not switched on at the time of the blasts?

Just when I thought my dad's old 2m radios might be worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Being switched off is no help.

In a sealed metal box or wrapped in a couple of layers of cooking foil might save it.

The EMP fries the transistors as easily as ICs, some are more vulnerable. If your radio uses valves and the aerial is connected and EMP near enough it can fry the heaters/filaments too :(

But the Syrians and Iranians don't have Nukes yet nor long enough range for here and N. Korea don't have ICBMs.

Why the apocalype bull anyway?

ever since Mad Max everyone knows that a Nuclear war isn't worth the hassle....

I mean, wearing a leather jacket in the Oz outback?

crazy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As watty says, Faraday cage should insure against nasty apocalyptic EMP type events.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/faraday-cage.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't be the Norks, Chinese, Russians, Iranians etc ...
    But Outsourced Banking software that collapses civilisation.

So it's the generator, 20,000 litre fuel dump, food, water, chemical toilet /septic tank etc. Hmm that's why 400,000 premises have septic tanks.

No, it's because thay don't have a nearby sewer.

Advertisement