Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local area connection problem

Options
  • 07-09-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just returned from a week away and even though my wifi works fine the wired connection to my pc doesn't, troubleshooting is saying its detecting a problem with my local area connection adapter. Several restarts, which is my usual way of fixing a problem, hasn't worked this time. My device manager isn't showing any devices with problems, tbh I can't find a local area connection thingy in there anyway. Has any one an idea of what I should try to resolve this. I'm using my phone so downloading drivers etc isn't possible, cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You should find the connection within Network Adapters in Dev manager.

What does
    ipconfig /all
    in a command prompt say?

also try rebooting the router and check the cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

1. Reset the TCP/IP protocol.

Open a command prompt (with admin rights) and run the following command:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

2. Flush the DNS resolver cache.

ipconfig /flushdns

3. Restart the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The network adapter is a nividia nforce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, it says its working properly, the ipconfig is showing loads of tunnel adapters, toredo pseudo- interface, 6t04, local area connection numbered up to 31, all saying the media state is disconnected, the physical adress is 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-e0, the dhcp is disabled, the auto configuration is enabled, I hope that makes sense, is doesn't me:o

Ok Torgay, I did the first part, how do I flush the the DNs resolver cache , sorry for being a dumb ass, no idea about this stuff

ipconfig /flushdns

If all goes well, you should get this response: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

• Advertisement

No joy, still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

dubtom wrote: »
    Hi all, just returned from a week away and even though my wifi works fine the wired connection to my pc doesn't, troubleshooting is saying its detecting a problem with my local area connection adapter. Several restarts, which is my usual way of fixing a problem, hasn't worked this time. My device manager isn't showing any devices with problems, tbh I can't find a local area connection thingy in there anyway. Has any one an idea of what I should try to resolve this. I'm using my phone so downloading drivers etc isn't possible, cheers for any help

So does this mean you have had trouble before with this (or similar) issue?

Check the C: drive. Some times you will hit it lucky and find a folder with drivers in it.

Failing that you could try booting into last known good configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

The network adapter is a nividia nforce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet,

there lies your problem

i have 2 pcs both with them... they crap out alot.

if you are using win 7 or vista turn off network discovery in "public networks" in network and sharing centre

insignia33 wrote: »
    So does this mean you have had trouble before with this (or similar) issue?

Check the C: drive. Some times you will hit it lucky and find a folder with drivers in it.

Failing that you could try booting into last known good configuration.

No not specifically, DNA lookup problems fairly often, but I think that's linked to the router as wifi would go as well. I'll check the c drive for files.

I've checked the network and sharing bog standard user, network discovery is already off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

No not specifically, DNA lookup problems fairly often, but I think that's linked to the router as wifi would go as well. I'll check the c drive for files.

I've checked the network and sharing bog standard user, network discovery is already off.

Did you try the last known good configurations?

By the sounds of it (if your having router issues aswell) it may be best to get someone to call around and have a look at your network. Im sure if you posted up a rough location somebody on here might offer some help or maybe even talk you through it on the phone :)

• Advertisement

Test with a Linux Live CD to rule out a hardware failure.

Well I downloaded a driver and put it on a stick and deleted the driver on the computer,windows couldn't find it so I tried system restore which failed because my anti virus was on, but,on starting up it detected no network adapter driver and reinstalled it, and it's now back working :D Panic stations there for a while,Thanks everyone for the help.

Advertisement