Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a Business as opposed to a company have to submit returns

Options
  • 07-09-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have a small Limited company which is fully registered with CRO and now I want to register a Business name to be more specific on some of the services I offer. If register the Business name with CRO as my company does the Business also have to make returnes to the various statutory bodies i.e. Revenus, CRO etc or is it all done as the Limited Company ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    I have a small Limited company which is fully registered with CRO and now I want to register a Business name to be more specific on some of the services I offer. If register the Business name with CRO as my company does the Business also have to make returnes to the various statutory bodies i.e. Revenus, CRO etc or is it all done as the Limited Company ?

It is all done through your limited company. Say if your business name is Christmas store and your limited company was Lapland ltd you will now be submitting returns for the Christmas store T/A (trading as) Lapland Ltd.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Loughc wrote: »
    It is all done through your limited company. Say if your business name is Christmas store and your limited company was Lapland ltd you will now be submitting returns for the Christmas store T/A (trading as) Lapland Ltd.

Wouldn't that be the other way around, i.e. Lapland Ltd T/A Christmas Store?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Graham wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be the other way around, i.e. Lapland Ltd T/A Christmas Store?

No sir. A company trades by its legal limited name for vat and tax purposes.

That company can have any business name it wishes but doesn't ever trade under that business name

That's why it's Christmas store business name trading as Lapland limited company limited name.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Thanks Graham, what I want to do is use both names i.e. say lapland for travel business and christmas store as my shop, is that allowed or would I also have to register Lapland as a business name, if you know what I mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Loughc wrote: »
    No sir. A company trades by its legal limited name for vat and tax purposes.

That company can have any business name it wishes but doesn't ever trade under that business name

That's why it's Christmas store business name trading as Lapland limited company limited name.

Have to disagree, you are incorrect , the legal entity is Lapland Ltd if Lapland ltd owns t he business name " Christmas Store" the correct legals form when trading as Cristmas Store is Lapland Ltd t/a Chrsitmas Store... So Graham is correct. Lapland ltd is the only entity that makes returns to Revenue, Cro etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Thanks Graham, what I want to do is use both names i.e. say lapland for travel business and christmas store as my shop, is that allowed or would I also have to register Lapland as a business name, if you know what I mean ?

In that case your travel business would simply trade as Lapland Limited, your shop would be Christmas Store.

The Christmas Store would need to make it clear on all correspondence that it's actually Lapland Limited T/A Christmas Store. I vaguely recollect that the same information should be visible in the shop.

E.g. a notice in the shop stating:
    Lapland Limited
    T/A
    Christmas Store

On letterheads etc, I'd probably put this in the footer:

Lapland Limited T/A Christmas Store.

For financial/regulatory purposes, the Christmas Store and Lapland Limited would effectively be a single legal entity.

Short version A registered business name can almost be considered to be a nickname for your Limited company. As long as you have registered the nickname and people know the real company behind the nickname, you should be good.

Advertisement