Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babrber training

• 07-09-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hi just wondering as anyone done any kind of schooling for barbering in dublin and when the course finished how did they go about getting employment without experience as all the job vacancies for barbers require 2 year plus experience.

thanks guy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There was a Irish lady who used to post on a website called badgerandblade.com (it's all about wet shaving) who trained as a barber. She goes by Barber-Eile. I think she still posts over there from time to time.

Maybe sign up over there and see if you get a response from sending her a private message.

Alternatively, she used to write a blog called, you guessed it, Barber Eile. There is a contact email on the right side of the page. You could send her an email there and see if that gets a response but I don't know if she still keeps that blog going.

That's all I got really. Hopefully that may be of some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As far as I am aware there is no licencing system for barbering in Ireland, unlike the US where you need to do the State Licence Exam and are required to get something like 1000 hours of training behind you. (All for a job that will get you $24k first year at absolute best) - That said the level of training is extremely high.

In Ireland there are number of schools that will get you trained and (hopefully) also get you a work placement.

http://dublinschoolofbarbering.com/index.php?view=courses&cid=1%3Abarber-training&id=1%3Acertificate-in-barbering&option=com_courseman&Itemid=57

http://www.knights-barbers.com/barberschool/index.htm

Notice how much shorter the training is compared to the US.

Good luck if you do decide to persue this as a career don't forget to learn straight razor shaving and keep that tradition alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭KALO

Hi madsl thanx for the reply, yep it's crazy the amount of hours required here compared to the u.s to become a barber. I love the old school cutz like the Waldorf do and they also do a course which I will look into.
    I'm at a stage now that I would love to do this as I've always wanted to be a cool old skool barber with a modern twist. life took over and working in jobs just to satisfy everyone else,here I am now at 39 thinking about becoming a barber. Life is funny. Thanx to hitemfrank for the reply also.

Advertisement