Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA for over 25s

Options
  • 07-09-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm confused. My daughter finished college in June and applied for Job Seeker's Allowance. I supplied the details of my income (pension) as she was 24 at the time. She received a reduced allowance (€50 odd). She turned 25 last week and was told at the local office yesterday that she would get something in the region of €90 from now on. They didn't explain why she was not going to get the full amount. I don't believe any of my income should be taken into account and she has not income herself. Any ideas before I get her to make a call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I'm confused. My daughter finished college in June and applied for Job Seeker's Allowance. I supplied the details of my income (pension) as she was 24 at the time. She received a reduced allowance (€50 odd). She turned 25 last week and was told at the local office yesterday that she would get something in the region of €90 from now on. They didn't explain why she was not going to get the full amount. I don't believe any of my income should be taken into account and she has not income herself. Any ideas before I get her to make a call?

Job Seekers Allowance is a means tested allowance in which the deciding officer takes into account the applicant's expenses and circumstances, based on the information supplied to them, JSA is given to anyone who has insufficient stamps to qualify for Job Seekers Benefit, and also to applicants who's circumstances mean they need more than a standard JSB payment (I.e. those with partners, kids and other dependants) JSB is given to any applicant who has worked 13 months out of the previous 24. JSB is usually always a full €188 per week.

The deciding officer has taken all of the information your daughter provided into account when they determined her entitlement. She can appeal it if she has additional information but I would guess that the fact that she lives at home is a large influence on the amount decided. Not being smart but I really don't think her mammy ringing on her behalf is going to influence them too much that she is an adult who requires a full adult allowance. Also you should know that they will take into account all income of adults living together who are cohabiting or in a family home situation to make their assessment. It's not always fair but its how it works and its the same rules for all.

However if you think the decision made is unfair you could advise your daughter to ask citizens information on the procedures to follow in making an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

Thanks Bigneacy. I appreciate your response. Thank you. I wasn't planning to make a call for her! Gig girl now :) She and I are both very aware that this is 'money for nothing' and she was very reluctant to apply for it. In 40 years I was only out of work for two and got benefits for one of those, so I get a little frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

bigneacy wrote: »
    Job Seekers Allowance is a means tested allowance in which the deciding officer takes into account the applicant's expenses and circumstances, based on the information supplied to them, JSA is given to anyone who has insufficient stamps to qualify for Job Seekers Benefit, and also to applicants who's circumstances mean they need more than a standard JSB payment (I.e. those with partners, kids and other dependants) JSB is given to any applicant who has worked 13 months out of the previous 24. JSB is usually always a full €188 per week.

The deciding officer has taken all of the information your daughter provided into account when they determined her entitlement. She can appeal it if she has additional information but I would guess that the fact that she lives at home is a large influence on the amount decided. Not being smart but I really don't think her mammy ringing on her behalf is going to influence them too much that she is an adult who requires a full adult allowance. Also you should know that they will take into account all income of adults living together who are cohabiting or in a family home situation to make their assessment. It's not always fair but its how it works and its the same rules for all.

However if you think the decision made is unfair you could advise your daughter to ask citizens information on the procedures to follow in making an appeal.

Only the income of parents/guardians/step-parents are taken into account for benefit and privilege assessments and that assessment ends when someone turns 25.

Balagan wrote: »
    Only the income of parents/guardians/step-parents are taken into account for benefit and privilege assessments and that assessment ends when someone turns 25.

So Balagan - do you know what would be taken into account when assessing her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

So Balagan - do you know what would be taken into account when assessing her?

Have a look through this for full picture http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html but any income from any source as well as capital made up of property (excluding own home) savings and investments would be taken into account. No assessment is made on the first €20k but is then done on sliding scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I think someone was just having an off day in the sw office. When you are 25 your personal rate increases by €44 and I think this is where the €90 odd figure came from. Depending on what day last week she turned 25 she should see an increase in her weekly allowance. For a full week she should receive €188 unless she has savings or owns a house that she is not living in.

eastbono wrote: »
    I think someone was just having an off day in the sw office. When you are 25 your personal rate increases by €44 and I think this is where the €90 odd figure came from. Depending on what day last week she turned 25 she should see an increase in her weekly allowance. For a full week she should receive €188 unless she has savings or owns a house that she is not living in.

Now that makes sense! Thank you so much!:D

eastbono wrote: »

Seems like the back to school allowances etc. have put SW offices under pressure and they are correcting this for her next week.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it :D

Advertisement