Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Lettings Breach contract.

Options
  • 07-09-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

My contract was up for renewal on the 28th of August and they called me on the 24th wanting me to move out for students to move in which was never explained to me before i signed the contract.

I was not given a 30 day notice or even given 30 days to move out, They also entered the property when i wasn't there 3 different times with out warning.

Would i have a case if so who do i report it too.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

What type of lease do you have, Fixed term, Periodic or Part 4?

When did your lease start?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Log a complaint with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jeffbrophy

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanskyline

<snip>

Yea i never got that one of those to sign

odds_on wrote: »
    What type of lease do you have, Fixed term, Periodic or Part 4?

When did your lease start?

Not sure all i no is that it stated that the contract will be renewed if i wish to stay which i was never given that option on that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Irrespective of the tenancy type (fixed term or part 4) they cannot terminate the tenancy because they want to use it for students. No amount of notice changes this. They can only terminate the tenancy for the following reasons:
    After 3 and ½ years
    If the tenant does not comply with the obligations of the tenancy
    If the property is no longer suited to the tenants’ needs (e.g. overcrowded)
    If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member
    If the landlord intends to sell the property
    If the landlord intends to refurbish the property
    If the landlord plans to change the business use of the property (e.g. turn it into offices).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

A phone call is also not sufficient as notice of termination; even if they had legal grounds to terminate it would not be valid unless it was delivered in writing.

Contact them back and inform them that you are aware of your legal rights regarding tenancy termination as per the part 4 tenancy agreement, and if they persist with their attempts to terminate the tenancy in this manner you will take a case against them with the PRTB.

djimi wrote: »
    Irrespective of the tenancy type (fixed term or part 4) they cannot terminate the tenancy because they want to use it for students. No amount of notice changes this. They can only terminate the tenancy for the following reasons:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

A phone call is also not sufficient as notice of termination; even if they had legal grounds to terminate it would not be valid unless it was delivered in writing.

Contact them back and inform them that you are aware of your legal rights regarding tenancy termination as per the part 4 tenancy agreement, and if they persist with their attempts to terminate the tenancy in this manner you will take a case against them with the PRTB.

As i was unsure of my rights regarding this i have moved out and complied with them, Would i still have a cause or is it too late???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can still lodge a complaint with the PRTB. You should do that.

Ok guys thanks for all the information really helpful i will lodge this complaint and see what feed back i get and let you all know.

As i was unsure of my rights regarding this i have moved out and complied with them, Would i still have a cause or is it too late???

Absolutely take a case against them. Disgraceful behaviour from an estate agent.

• Advertisement

Yes Sean you did, it clearly shows your signature. Call to our office if you would like a copy!

Kind regards

jeffbrophy wrote: »
    Yes Sean you did, it clearly shows your signature. Call to our office if you would like a copy!

Kind regards

That is neither my name or address.

That is neither my name or address.

Even it is was I would have said that it was entirely inappropriate of the agency to post that information on here.

djimi wrote: »
    Even it is was I would have said that it was entirely inappropriate of the agency to post that information on here.

I know i was just thinking that, isn't that Illegal under data protection act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Reported to mods. They could get in huge trouble for that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Image removed

jeffbrophy, we take a very dim view of breaches of confidentiality on this site. If you try anything like that again your time here will be very short indeed.

There was only one lease due to finish on that date! If you have a problem with how you have been treated by Waterford Lettings please feel free to call me at anytime and the issue will be resolved. <snip>

Kind regards

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jeffbrophy, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, this all sounds incredibly professional doesn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jeffbrophy wrote: »
    There was only one lease due to finish on that date! If you have a problem with how you have been treated by Waterford Lettings please feel free to call me at anytime and the issue will be resolved.
    Kind regards

And banned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement