Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period of notice - no contract

Options
  • 07-09-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Myself and my Oh are currently renting a property for close to two years. We are looking to move and are wondering about the period of notice we need to give? We only signed a contract for the first year of letting. We pay our rent monthly. What period of notice do we need to give?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

statto25 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Myself and my Oh are currently renting a property for close to two years....What period of notice do we need to give?
    Notice Period :: Duration of Tenancy
    28 days :: Less than 6 months
    35 days :: 6 months or more but less than 1 year
    42 days :: 1 year or more but less than 2 years
    56 days :: 2 years or more
    http://www.prtb.ie/docs/default-source/good-tenant-guides/good-tenant-guide-%28english%29.pdf?sfvrsn=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Thanks the ww. Does that apply in situations where there is no active contract? We have never signed anything for the second year of the tenancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks the ww. Does that apply in situations where there is no active contract? We have never signed anything for the second year of the tenancy.

You are automatically in a Part IV tenancy even without any new contract, the notice periods above apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yes, you automatically have a part 4 tenancy which started on the day the original lease was signed.

These run in four year cycles. Might be worth reading up on how these work because it seems to be a mystery to many agents and landlords.

You may, of course, be able to agree a shorter notice period with the landlord but the statutory minimum is as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As said before, the statutory notice period is there, and the ll is entitled to get that much notice, but any landlord I've ever had has only looked for 1 mths notice. It's worth asking him. At the moment there seems to be a high demand for rental properties, so he might not be too fussy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement