Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low GPA - Want to proceed to postgraduate study.

Options
  • 07-09-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody.

I got a GPA of 2.46 in my Primary BSc, very shy of a 2.2. But it's still on the wrong side of it. Unhappy with that to be honest but that's life. Half my degree was Archaeology and the other half Geology. Loved the environmental/geological end of it and always did reasonably well in it. Didn't like the Arch end of things, found it dull and uninteresting (hence the lower average).

Anyway. Looking at most thought Masters in the Environmental science area seem to require a 2nd class honors which seems to rule me out straight away on the entrance requirements. Anything I can do to get round this? I'd like to progress but avenues seem to be closing off to me because of my marks.

I'm 23 in December so I'll be classed as a mature student when (if :( ) I apply if that makes any difference.

Thanks people :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'm 23 in December so I'll be classed as a mature student when (if :( ) I apply if that makes any difference.

I don't believe this makes any difference at postgraduate level, just undergraduate.

With regards to you query, courses that have a high application rate - too many applicants not enough places - will really enforce the 'minimum 2.2 hons degree' as it's a means of getting the cream of crop (in a sense) and eliminating applicants. I would advise that you do your research and assess which courses and indeed colleges get a surplus of applications. The may well be impossible to get into.

Otherwise, do you perhaps have relevant experience (research or industry) that you could include on your application. Oftentimes, this may be considered in lieu of academic results. I would also advise that you include a personal statement in your application highlighting that why you may not have the required grade, you would be a model postgrad student, dedicated, etc. (You would need to be more expansive than this, but really compound why they should consider granting you a place).

And maybe you could contact your previous colleges' career office as well? They might be useful in signposting your next steps.

Good luck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Interested in this too.
    I hope to graduate just above the 2:2 but postgrads up that interest me specify a 2:1.
    I have some medical issues and was thinking that might be taken into consideration as for me personally my academic achievements are quite good considering what I've been through over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was 2% off a 2.1 and all the masters I really wanted required a 2.1 minimum. So rather than settle on a masters that I would have enjoyed but wasn't my first choice, I took a year off. Volunteered in that field, built up my experience and I got accepted this year. I did work in addition to volunteering, it doesn't have to consume your life. Met some amazing people and made new friends so I can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

One of my mates was in a similar situation. He had a third in Chemistry and had to do a post grad diploma before he went on further.

Would that be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

One of my mates was in a similar situation. He had a third in Chemistry and had to do a post grad diploma before he went on further.

Would that be an option for you?

Yes, yes it would. I'd love to return to education, I feel like I'm not finished.

However, looking at a lot of them seem to have the same 2.1/2.2 entry requirements. Anyone know of environmental science Diplomas anywhere to do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement