Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community - Season 5 [US] **Spoilers!!**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

loved it. But I'm a sucker for Gi joe parodies (some of the bets bits from The Venture Brothers)

though to be fair compared to the source material there is very little community can do to out do GI joe for ridiculousness. Especially the broadway like opening to the original movie

also I only just noticed how much of a massive subtle nod the plotline was to the original gi joe movie the character jeff is parodying was meant to die in the movie but due to the massive negative reaction to the death of optimus prime they changed it into a *coma* and he conveniently wakes up at the end (all off screen, they just say *Hey Duke has come out of his coma* cue characters cheering)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was having a nerdgasm watching this as I grew up reading the Action Force comics as a kid (basically G.I.Joe but with a name British/Irish kids would get)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

One of the best 'Between The Takes' but the highlight for me is the cushion behind Harmon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The episode was a little disappointing, but still fun for the most part. I grew up with Transformers as the main distraction, but Action Force / GI Joe was still there or thereabouts and so many of the gags hit the mark for me. The actual premise behind the episode felt a little insubstantial and forgettable mind you, with everything revealed and then tied-up in record time. And I can only presume the cosy group-hug and laughter at the end was intended as a knowing nod to the moralising of 80s sitcoms and schlock like GI Joe, cos otherwise it was pretty ghastly :)

All throughout though I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd seen and heard most of the gags before and I eventually remembered where; Venture Bros. had long ago lampooned, mocked and ultimately filleted GI Joe to shreds, leaving this episode of Community feeling a little tame (it also serves as a convenient excuse to mention Venture Bros. of course, one of the best animated shows on modern TV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

OK seriously, what are "shippers"?
    Thanks. I thought I was the only one who had the same reaction to that post as Hickey would.

That's definitely one of the weirder episodes. Probably the weakest in a while (though as everyone said, probably cos I never saw the show), but still way better than the gas leak.
    The ads were spot on though - I actually though the first one was one of those 80s action figure ads.

Liked how the footnotes got increasingly nonsensical: "Innocence not included. Comes with Reversible Ethics", "Milk sold separately"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry, but that was utter gash. No two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The lip-synching gag was my favourite part of the whole episode... Pretty much every time I watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), you spot Raph saying Leo's lines or Donnie wearing Michalengelo's colours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is dan harmon pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sorry, but that was utter gash. No two ways about it.

Yup, really weak episode.
    It's like they wanted to rag on G.I Joe, but didn't know how to, so they just b*stardised the Abed claymation episode (and having Abed reference that doesn't add to this episode).

Abed & Britta's exchange at the end was easily the best thing in the episode.

From the comments I've read, I think there's some Community tinted glassed being worn. This season has been far too good to consider that a strong episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know I've obviously missed out on some GI Joe humour but didn't really live up to my expectations at the same time.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The episode was a little disappointing, but still fun for the most part. I grew up with Transformers as the main distraction, but Action Force / GI Joe was still there or thereabouts and so many of the gags hit the mark for me. The actual premise behind the episode felt a little insubstantial and forgettable mind you, with everything revealed and then tied-up in record time. And I can only presume the cosy group-hug and laughter at the end was intended as a knowing nod to the moralising of 80s sitcoms and schlock like GI Joe, cos otherwise it was pretty ghastly :)

All throughout though I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd seen and heard most of the gags before and I eventually remembered where; Venture Bros. had long ago lampooned, mocked and ultimately filleted GI Joe to shreds, leaving this episode of Community feeling a little tame (it also serves as a convenient excuse to mention Venture Bros. of course, one of the best animated shows on modern TV)

I don't believe in shipping

But...

The alchemist & Shore leave 4eva!!!!

And I beat you to name dropping venture bros :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Well, I enjoyed it.. but now I'm wondering when's the Duck Tales episode? ;)

btw, someone spotted that the scotch Jeff was drinking was his gift from Pierce:

uZVYLVa.png

I don't think it was a weak episode, just that it didn't work as well internationally as well as it potentially did in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't think it was a weak episode, just that it didn't work as well internationally as well as it potentially did in the US.

Agreed, I was looking at /r/community on Reddit and it seems like this episode sort of divided opinion according to age group in America. Dan Harmon mentioned that GI Joe was a huge thing when he was growing up so I think it's a generational thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

mrkite77 wrote: »
    Well, I enjoyed it.. but now I'm wondering when's the Duck Tales episode? ;)

btw, someone spotted that the scotch Jeff was drinking was his gift from Pierce:

uZVYLVa.png
    The card from Pierce right beside the bottle wasn't a dead giveaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah why is everyone on Reddit and here going on about that? I watched the episode on my phone on a bus and I still got it, it wasnt that obscure.

I can't be sure but maybe it's to do with the note? Like Pierce knew that Jeff was going to freak out?

Also, everyone on Reddit is desperate to spot stuff like this first, so there's usually about a dozen posts about details like this after every episode.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Pearse was always the old guy in the group, giving Jeff a 40 year old scotch (when he is turning 40) and saying "Welcome to the club" made Jeff realise how old he is, trigger the drink and pills session.

It's not the best reference-to-an-earlier-episode joke they've done, but it's still one of those clever little touches that makes community special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tom over on TVbythenumbers is now predicting Community will be most likely renewed, after predicting since January that it will most likely be cancelled. He's not connected with NBC in any way and it's just pure speculation, but I've found that the Bubble Watch predictions they do have been fairly spot on every year, so it's definitely a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Even by Community standards there was almost to much meta-comedy going on - I mean Abed called "Fourth Wall"?

I did laugh at "Cold Shoulder" though..

Still very enjoyable episode

• Advertisement

Tom over on TVbythenumbers is now predicting Community will be most likely renewed, after predicting since January that it will most likely be cancelled. He's not connected with NBC in any way and it's just pure speculation, but I've found that the Bubble Watch predictions they do have been fairly spot on every year, so it's definitely a good sign.

Honestly a renewal is pretty much a given considering how Sony have gone on record to say that they are fully behind the show and willing to fight for it.

Honestly a renewal is pretty much a given considering how Sony have gone on record to say that they are fully behind the show and willing to fight for it.

Did Sony not say the exact same thing about Happy Endings this time last year though? And we all know what happened there*...

*Just in case you don't know... It Got Cancelled

Did Sony not say the exact same thing about Happy Endings this time last year though? And we all know what happened there*...

*Just in case you don't know... It Got Cancelled

They did really try and get the show set up elsewhere but there were no takers. Community is in a better situation to sell elsewhere, it's got a sizeable fanbase and is really popular on Hulu.

They did really try and get the show set up elsewhere but there were no takers. Community is in a better situation to sell elsewhere, it's got a sizeable fanbase and is really popular on Hulu.

Yeah, you're right. To be honest, I was just playing Devil's advocate... I'd be quite shocked if we didn't get Six Seasons and a (TV) Movie at this stage... We're far too close to it, for it not to happen...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if there is going to be a 6th season, I certainly hope they manage to persuade/pay John Oliver and Jonathan Banks to come back and reprise their roles; their presence has really helped fill the gap left by Pierce & Troys departure, and they gel the new dynamic together quite nicely. It'd suck if yet another Group had to be moulded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

John Oliver has his own show coming up (on HBO?), so he is a doubt. Banks might be involved with Better Call Saul.

Johnathan Banks is indeed involved with Better Call Saul. :(

I hope they work something out and keep Hickey around! John Oliver kind of dips in and out so hopefully he can make a few appearances in season six (which we are so definitely getting)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say there's a 100% chance that one of his predictions will come true.

phasers wrote: »
    Johnathan Banks is indeed involved with Better Call Saul. :(

I hope they work something out and keep Hickey around! John Oliver kind of dips in and out so hopefully he can make a few appearances in season six (which we are so definitely getting)

I can't see it being too hard to have Banks involved in both shows. Better Call Saul starts shooting in a month or so and the bulk should be done before the next series of Community would begin shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

miralize wrote: »
    John Oliver has his own show coming up (on HBO?), so he is a doubt.

Oliver's show is weekly so hopefully that'll give him some time to show up.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed tonight's.

Though it did feel like a season finale written expecting to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Yeah good episode alright, the bit at the end between prof duncan and hickey was brilliant...

Plus another gas leak reference, still not old!

1 more episode this season, they may bloody renew it shortly, getting anxious!

That final scene with Hickey and Duncan was brilliant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Cracking episode.

"Five. Five Dollar. Five Dollar Footlong"

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

"I wrote a paper on those dogs" is now my favourite Britta quote.

Leonard''s "unsubscribe" was great too!

Another great episode. Abed's side plot about side plots was insanely meta, even by Community standards. The insurance adjuster was fabulous, and I always love a Dean breakdown! That Dean sure is a bald guy with glasses...

And the wedding ring thing was resolved! The dedication to continuity on this show is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I wish they did more episodes like this. Looking back there was probably too many concept episodes this season. I enjoyed most of them but still like the basic ones too.

Series low for ratings again, 0.8. :/

phasers wrote: »
    And the wedding ring thing was resolved! The dedication to continuity on this show is amazing.

What's this now?

Really enjoyed it, Abed's non-story was definitely the most meta thing they've ever done. But I agree that Leonard's 'Unsubscribe' was fantastic.

Looking forward to plenty of Goonie/Indy references next week

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What's this now?

The Dean wore a wedding ring in the very first episode of the show, but not in any after that.

• Advertisement

The Dean wore a wedding ring in the very first episode of the show, but not in any after that.

Really? I don't remember that at all, was it pointed out or did people just notice?

Really? I don't remember that at all, was it pointed out or did people just notice?

It wasn't pointed out, just a minor thing that people noticed after some re-watches. Not sure it was a big enough of a deal to make a reference to it, but still kind of funny.

"This is gonna be the most boring thing to happen here since Britta dated Troy."
    Ouch, poor season 4, and considering the Britta/Troy thing started under Harmon's watch, he's cheeky to be throwing stones!

That was one of the most normal episodes of Community in some time, while also being one of the more 'meta' stories; Abeds attempts to flee the 'story' was incredibly meta, even by Community standards (how psychotic must he have looked to passers by?), yet the main plot itself was practically pedestrian - although not in a bad sense. So many of the more recent episodes revolved around some ludicrous central concept or gimmick, it was nice to watch something a bit more grounded for once; clearly Harmon realised this too considering the episode's title: 'Basic Story'. Both elements worked really well and dovetailed quite nicely :)

The credits scene with Hickey and Duncan was excellent, highlight of the episode for me.

Catching up on the last few episodes and really living how series 5 is playing out. Episode 6 was one of the most consistently funny episode of TV this year. Professor Duncan really steals the show and his final scene was brilliant. Had planned to spread the episodes out but that's not happening, it's straight on to the next episode.

Was the computer professor who "died after getting the first ever computer virus" the Dean with hair? Looked a tad like him and never got around to rewinding. And it's somehow easier to type this than go back and check.

Also, Britta and Troy? Who's Troy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MOH wrote: »
    Also, Britta and Troy? Who's Troy?

Seriously?

• Advertisement

Seriously?

No, not seriously! :) More that they've done a better job without him than many had feared. It's not often you can take a brilliant character out of a show and ... not quite replace him, but compensate quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I love that at one point Abed notices the camera and that tips him off that he's still in a story.

Was anybody else a little disappointed by Chang's betrayal. I was enjoying his presence as part of the group, occasionally the camera would cut to him and he could steal the episode with a facial expression. I just feel that this betrayal taints his presence throughout the season. It'll be interesting to rewatch season 5 (which I intend to do on Sony TV) with his ulterior motives in mind

MOH wrote: »
    Was the computer professor who "died after getting the first ever computer virus" the Dean with hair? Looked a tad like him and never got around to rewinding. And it's somehow easier to type this than go back and check.
    It's Chris Elliot who's set to guest start in the next episode

Was anybody else a little disappointed by Chang's betrayal. I was enjoying his presence as part of the group, occasionally the camera would cut to him and he could steal the episode with a facial expression. I just feel that this betrayal taints his presence throughout the season. It'll be interesting to rewatch season 5 (which I intend to do on Sony TV) with his ulterior motives in mind

I thought it was the funniest part of the episode, that song he sung as he danced out of the room was brilliant. And then at the end when they're shouting about the treasure, the only thing he took away from it was.. "secret meeting". :P
    It fits the Chang character, he's always looked out for himself over anyone else, even in season 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement