Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable kennel size for an Irish Wolfhound?

• 07-09-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Guys what size kennel would be suitable for just one IW no other dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

alan27 wrote: »
    Guys what size kennel would be suitable for just one IW no other dog?

A garden shed perhaps? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hee hee OP, when I saw this I thought of the line from Jaws, 'We're gonna need a bigger boat':D A garden shed mighn't be a bad idea:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have the very largest crate from Jebb Tools for my greyhound, and it'd be too small for a Wolfhound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about those kids play houses? Not as much height as a garden shed so less empty space for the hound to heat himself, but still tall enough to accommadate him how great would it look for him to have a house all to himself? :D

337.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

How about getting a carpenter to build one to suit your dog. That's what I did for my St. Bernard. I built it myself. A hell of alot cheaper that buying one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

What about those kids play houses? Not as much height as a garden shed so less empty space for the hound to heat himself, but still tall enough to accommadate him how great would it look for him to have a house all to himself? :D

337.jpg

I think I would like that for the kids :D

A stable perhaps? :D

Remember anything wooden will probably be chewed. Young Wolfhounds are fairly boisterous. You would probably be best getting something custom made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Chewed, and unless insulated, a furnace on hot days and miserably cold in winter. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP, any reason the dog can't sleep in the kitchen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's be deffo cheaper to get a small potting shed or the like instead of a kennel, you could insulate it yourself and place marine ply over it. Non slip lino for the floor, then you could fit a dane sized plastic dog bed into it in a corner with loads of blankies, vet bed etc. Not sure you'd get a dog flap big enough so you might have to make your own and ad a little porch to prevent rain getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Sorry for the delay guys. I have been busy building a suitable kennel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement