Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a politicians home fair game?

• 07-09-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭

Recently some protesters from the CAHWT water tax charges are protesting outside the homes of TDs.

I launched into a blistering attack on one of them yesterday for doing this.

In my view political protests are perfectly legitimate but it is completely morally wrong to protest outside the personal home of a politician. Other people I was speaking to agreed with me but the woman handing out the leaflets claimed the majority of people agree with her.

Regardless of what the issue is, Are the personal homes of politicians fair game for protests?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No, everyone deserves some privacy, and there is TD's offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I cannot think of any reason why it should be condoned so I'm going to say no too. There's more respectable ways to get your message across.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Political protests should be done outside political offices.

Not when they're shopping, not when they're in a pub, not outside their house, outside their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Yeah. They cant expect to ruin peoples lives by piling more taxes on people already on the brink and swan off home to forget about it and play happy families. We are not talking about blowing houses up but standing outside with some banners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Absolutely not. There are likely to be other people living in that home than the politician in question (in the case of less senior politicians, the stealth taxes would go ahead with or without them anyway). The only people who would do it are moronic, obnoxious DDI types who need an easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are the personal homes of citizens fair game for government?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Of course not.

TD's are shockingly enough people too and they and their families are entitled to peace and privacy.

There are other more respectful ways to send them a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Yeah. They cant expect to ruin peoples lives by piling more taxes on people already on the brink and swan off home to forget about it and play happy families. We are not talking about blowing houses up but standing outside with some banners.

Bollox!
    Everyone is entitled to privacy and a home life.
    Of course since you have stood for office it is so easy to criticise everyone who has!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I honestly don't think anyone's home is fair game for a protest, even drug dealers don't get that sort of treatment. Being a politician is a job and like everyone else they should be allowed to leave their job in work. Imagine if someone was disgruntled with your actions in work and decided to protest outside your home for it.

Protesting outside their homes is complete lynchmob bullyboy tactics in my view.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No.

No matter if you agree with political decisions they make or not they have a right to switch off and have a home life just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I have two words here, John Prescott.

Bollox!
    Everyone is entitled to privacy and a home life.
    Of course since you have stood for office it is so easy to criticise everyone who has!
    The pricks dont mind coming to my door and telling me lies right to my face to get me to vote for them - they cant shout foul when I call them out on their lies at their house.

Would you want a gang of protesters roaring and shouting at your door?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I have two words here, John Prescott.

Can you explain more?

Terry Pratchet

The pricks dont mind coming to my door and telling me lies right to my face to get me to vote for them - they cant shout foul when I call them out on their lies at their house.

If you think you're being lied to just tell them to leave and don't vote for them.

It's not for you or anyone else to interfere with and disrupt their private lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The whole point of protest is to pressure a politician into changing something. If you're going to conveniently schedule your protest in such a way as not to bother them too much it's probably not worth protesting at all.

I honestly don't think anyone's home is fair game for a protest, even drug dealers don't get that sort of treatment. Being a politician is a job and like everyone else they should be allowed to leave their job in work. Imagine if someone was disgruntled with your actions in work and decided to protest outside your home for it.

Protesting outside their homes is complete lynchmob bullyboy tactics in my view.

Some drug dealers do, in the past it was common enough in Dublin before some people installed electric gates on their semi ds and retreated behind them in celtic tiger ivory towers.

Being a politician is not just a normal "job" and you know it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The whole point of protest is to pressure a politician into changing something. If you're going to conveniently schedule your protest in such a way as not to bother them too much it's probably not worth protesting at all.
    Exctly! Maybe if they send politicians kindly worded messages iced onto delicious cakes they will change their ways.

If you think you're being lied to just tell them to leave and don't vote for them.

It's not for you or anyone else to interfere with and disrupt their private lives.

Obviously I did not think I was being lied to at the time - like many others I trusted labour

• Advertisement

Some drug dealers do, in the past it was common enough in Dublin before some people installed electric gates on their semi ds and retreated behind them in celtic tiger ivory towers.

No. At the end of the day it is just a job.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People should only protest TD at their job. Not at their private home or conducting private business. Why should their children and partners have to deal with these people?

The pricks dont mind coming to my door and telling me lies right to my face to get me to vote for them
    Simple solution - just close the door on them.
    So you don't care about their families?

Can you explain more?

Yes. Prescott was egged at close range by a fuel protestor so he punched him.

Obviously I did not think I was being lied to at the time - like many others I trusted labour

It wasn't that obvious no.

Again if you don't want them there just ask them to leave.

No point in getting on your high horse about it.

Yes it is. It's just a means to an end like any other job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

No, God no.

The same applies for when they are out having a meal, having a pint etc..

Absolutely not. There are likely to be other people living in that home than the politician in question (in the case of less senior politicians, the stealth taxes would go ahead with or without them anyway). The only people who would do it are moronic, obnoxious DDI types who need an easy target.

Some of whom will probably inherit the seat and run the country in a few years :P

Seriously though no. i think a protest outside the TD office would be a fairer and probably more effective option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would you want a gang of protesters roaring and shouting at your door?

No more than I'd want a gang of bailiffs and revenue collectors banging on my door for refusing to pay an unfair tax on my personal home.. upsetting the missus and the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Recently some protesters from the CAHWT water tax charges are protesting outside the homes of TDs.

I launched into a blistering attack on one of them yesterday for doing this.

In my view political protests are perfectly legitimate but it is completely morally wrong to protest outside the personal home of a politician. Other people I was speaking to agreed with me but the woman handing out the leaflets claimed the majority of people agree with her.

Regardless of what the issue is, Are the personal homes of politicians fair game for protests?

They way i see it, most of the politcians have no morals whatsoever... now while two wrongs dont make a right, if politicians acutally did what they were elected to do, rather than look after themselves/their buddies/ the golden circle etc etc there wouldnt be an protests in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Yes. Prescott was egged at close range by a fuel protestor so he punched him.

Here it is in all its glory. He was dead right too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think the OP is having a laugh here. It could not be a serious question embellished by phrases like "it's only a job" etc. etc.

Simple solution - just close the door on them.

So you don't care about their families?
    I was just making a point, I'm not saying I agree with it. But a good way to put pressure on someone is to do it in front of their children. Protests outside their offices can just be ignored, the only time they have to deal with it is when coming or going. It's not really putting them out much and it's easy for them to stand their ground.

When you take it to their home they become personally affected and will find it harder to ignore the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Yes it is. It's just a means to an end like any other job.

No it's not.

Cerco wrote: »
    I think the OP is having a laugh here. It could not be a serious question embellished by phrases like "it's only a job" etc. etc.

I'm perfectly serious.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I was just making a point, I'm not saying I agree with it. But a good way to put pressure on someone is to do it in front of their children. Protests outside their offices can just be ignored, the only time they have to deal with it is when coming or going. It's not really putting them out much and it's easy for them to stand their ground.

When you take it to their home they become personally affected and will find it harder to ignore the issue.

So it's a case of really resorting to lynchmob bullyboy tactics

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

So implicit threats on the children of politicians is good way to apply political pressure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

That maybe true, but it's still wrong. It's wrong on so many levels.

Phoebas wrote: »
    So implicit threats on the children of politicians is good way to apply political pressure?

No. It's just bullyboy tactics plain and simple.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Absolutely not.

Politics is a open game. If you don't think that they are doing a good job don't vote them in. For those who think its ok to protest outside their houses, if you could do a better job then why didn't you run in the last election or even the next. All it takes is 30 nominations from people living in the area.

• Advertisement

Ultimately, no amount of direct protest will change the way all the mammies, daddies, grannies and grandas vote and may even reinforce their support. Middle Ireland is famously conservative and protests outside homes would be seen as blackguarding.

What a horrible attitude to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

No. It's just bullyboy tactics plain and simple.

And a politician's children are fair game? I have no words to describe this behaviour.

So it's a case of really resorting to lynchmob bullyboy tactics
    I was listening to a thing on the radio about how soft the Irish people are and how it allows our politicians to walk all over us. We accept every law change quite easily these days. What do you want to do? Do you honestly believe politicians will give in to asking nicely?
    Phoebas wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of good. If you mean "good" as is morally right then no, but if you mean "good" as in more effective at accomplishing their goal of making the politicians uncomfortable then, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yup they made their bed lye in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Should do what IT Carlow done when protesting the fee's. Go protest outside the office at lunch time when no one is in there, get loads of pictures and other propaganda then disband the march before 2 o clock.

ted1 wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Politics is a open game. If you don't think that they are doing a good job don't vote them in. For those who think its ok to protest outside their houses, if you could do a better job then why didn't you run in the last election or even the next. All it takes is 30 nominations from people living in the area.

They won't run for election, that would mean knocking on doors, promising stuff and then actually doing stuff in the Oireachtas. They might not be too keen on protests themselves when they would be in the hot seat. Best be an Internet warrior instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

To be honest I'd generally agree with you.

However with the bunch of leeches running this country what's morally or ethically right or acceptable seems to have become somewhat irrelevant.
    Keeping that in mind I think everybody should feel free to make their lives as uncomfortable as possible within the bounds of the law.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Yup they made their bed lye in it.
    Another staggeringly insightful post from Hootanany. So an individual TD makes the decision yeh?

Aineoil wrote: »
    And a politician's children are fair game? I have no words to describe this behaviour.

No. They're absolutely not.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement