Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a politicians home fair game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Phoebas wrote: »
    God no. I'd take positive steps to improve my financial position. These wouldn't include intimidation of other peoples families.

Rob a bank? Employers are not handing out pay rises willy nilly these days, if anything they are getting slaves to replace their current paid staff through job bridge plus.

So tell me how would you improve your finances? win the lotto? pawn your jewellry? I'm sure these financially pressed protesters have tried to improve their finances to no avail, the protesting seems like the last option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Your contempt of other people's views is contemptible.

But righteous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Dave! wrote: »
    No, it's not fair game. You lose my support if you start doing sh*t like that.

BTW at what point do we delineate between a "protest" and just good old-fashioned harassment? If one person has a particular bone to pick with a specific politician, and so turns up outside their house and shouts abuse at them, I'd say the Gardai would move them along. If two people, do that does that make it a protest...?

And while we're hanging around politicians' houses, can we find ways to disrupt their lives in other ways? Is it okay to turn up outside the church when their daughter is getting married, and ruin their day? Maybe at a family funeral we can get a group together to wave pictures of aborted foetuses?

The most sensible post in this entire thread. Back of the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Seachmall wrote: »
    But righteous.
    Righteous contempt. That's the most satisfying kind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tomatosauce34

As much as I hold absolute contempt for Politicians, the Constitution mandates the inviobility of a persons dwelling, save in accordance with Law. Therefore, no. Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Some people draw the line at firebombing. Others at pitchforks and torches.
    I draw the line at targeting family homes.

Welcome to the fight against Property tax! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People keep saying it's more effective, is there actually any evidence that it is?

It seems a bit like the anti-abortion campaigners, the people doing it are convinced it works, whereas if anything, it puts people of.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dave! wrote: »
    And while we're hanging around politicians' houses, can we find ways to disrupt their lives in other ways? Is it okay to turn up outside the church when their daughter is getting married, and ruin their day? Maybe at a family funeral we can get a group together to wave pictures of aborted foetuses?
    I'd wonder how far away are they from kidnapping the politicians family to make demands, or do people not see this as political terrorism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder how far away are they from kidnapping the politicians family to make demands, or do people not see this as political terrorism?

Well if protest doesn't work, what else are we to do? Take it?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Well if protest doesn't work, what else are we to do? Take it?
    Yep. Do you feel you have some kind of special entitlement to always get what you want?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Yep. Do you feel you have some kind of special entitlement to always get what you want?

No, I wouldn't imagine he's a corrupt politician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Even if you find some of them 'shady', they have been pretty ethical and moral in their governance. They've also done a good job thank God. Things are starting to look better thanks to enda et al.

We're no longer an international disgrace and are on track to leave our IMF programme next year.

Our politicians are supposed to (and swore to) work for the "common good".
    It is what politics entails.

They promised to stop cronyism and bad practices too in an effort to promote the "common good". Meanwhile they looked after Eamon Gilmour's wife with a nice wee cushy job paying 94K per year as well as other politicians family members.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tds-break-cronyism-pledge-by-giving-jobs-to-family-members-26740285.html

Do you call that "ethical and moral" governance.
    I haven't even mentioned their "elite" friends and bankers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

For those on you on here saying they shouldnt be targeted at their homes etc-bear in mind the anti austerity protests have all being silent protests- whereas in spain.
    Spanish protesters seeking to stop a wave of evictions have resorted to embarrassing politicians at their homes over harsh mortgage laws that have multiplied the pain of a property crash in the recession-hit country.

Inspired by Latin American human rights campaigns from the 1990s, the "escraches" - Argentine slang for denunciation - have involved protesters posting flyers and shouting slogans on the doorsteps of a number of politicians over the past fortnight.
    Spanish government officials, these days, are dealing with a political hot potato. The country has one of the highest number of residential evictions in Europe and Spaniards are using a different tactic to fight back.

Imagine you’re at home having dinner and you hear yelling outside. You look out the window to see a crowd on your doorstep.

That’s exactly what happened in the town of Valencia. More than a hundred members of a Spanish human rights group, “Platform of People Affected by Evictions,” gathered on the doorsteps of a politician to protest the government’s failure to reign in the evictions, even though Spanish banks have received help to the tune of 40 billion euros.

www.cnbc.com/id/100612802

www.theworld.org/2013/03/spanish-protest-evictions-at-doorsteps-of-political-elite/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Blah Blah Blah something about the government not paying my mortgage Blah Blah Blah new tax are evil Blah Blah Blah bailout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The irony here is hilarious, you have people giving out about so called " unfair taxes" these people are also complaining about cuts.
    Let me state the ****ing obvious.

The country is broke with lots of money going out and little coming in.

Tough unpopular desicions have to be made. Now the blame has to be out on the shower of ****es that were in power during the boom/con.

Our welfare system is far to generous and needs to be cut. I can hazard a guess that the majority of protestors are in the receiving side of our generous welfare.

No politicians home should be targeted, they are serving the state and like it or not you have to acknowledge that these are tough times and we have to decrease out spending and increase out income.

The lynch mob havn't a notion as the basic economics and should wake up and kop themselves on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ted1 wrote: »
    Tough unpopular desicions have to be made. Now the blame has to be out on the shower of ****es that were in power during the boom/con.
    By that you mean FF? Have any of the houses of FF being protested yet?

The irony here is hilarious, you have people giving out about so called " unfair taxes" these people are also complaining about cuts.

Our welfare system is far to generous and needs to be cut. I can hazard a guess that the majority of protestors are in the receiving side of our generous welfare.

No politicians home should be targeted, they are serving the state and like it or not you have to acknowledge that these are tough times and we have to decrease out spending and increase out income.

The lynch mob havn't a notion as the basic economics and should wake up and kop themselves on

1. Nobody has been held responsible as yet nor are they likely to suffer. That has been reserved for the taxpayer and their children.

2. That is an unfair generalization. For my own part I have never been on the dole or received any hand-outs. I was self-employed and always paid my taxes, up to now anyway.

3. Politicians are mainly self-serving and looking after themselves and their own families. Cronyism.

4. People are beginning to wake up and cop on. They can see the injustices in society caused mainly by No. 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

The country has been bankrupted by the last crowd overspending and taking on debt that isnt theirs and the current crowd continuing to overspend and pay off the said debt (even though they said they wouldnt). You think these incompetent liars are entitled to a bother-free life while they continue to screw us over?

The big problem here is that the working PRSI employee is getting hit too much, I personally paid an extra €4,000 in taxes last year and yet again these shower of prícks will be coming after my pocket again.

While Joan (the banshee) Burton is looking for an increase in minimum wage, to protect the welfare recipient. I think I have paid enough at this stage, time to hit the others at this stage.

• Advertisement

The big problem here is that the working PRSI employee is getting hit too much, I personally paid an extra €4,000 in taxes last year and yet again these shower of prícks will be coming after my pocket again.

While Joan (the banshee) Burton is looking for an increase in minimum wage, to protect the welfare recipient. I think I have paid enough at this stage, time to hit the others at this stage.

But your taxes are subsidising the Dail bar!

So suck it up.

So suck it up.

Nope. Hit everyone evenly

In what way is the Dail bar subsidised?

No tax on gargle or cigarettes, I must say I have no evidence of this, just 3rd had information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Its very easy to scapegoat and blame those on social welfare for the crisis- you say you think social welfare is too generous then you why dont you try living on it-when the tds took away protection from struggling mortgage payers to make it easier for banks to evict and repossess homes- tds homes are now fair game the rules have changed.

In the way it shows how much of an ignorance posters are, and why keyboard warriors are just that.

• Advertisement

They pay a fraction of the real price for there drink and food, the fools there gouging taxes from pays the difference. Thought you would know that about your precious politicians!

In the way it shows how much of an ignorance posters are, and why keyboard warriors are just that.

You never responded to the link I posted about the cronyism ted.

They pay a fraction of the real price for there drink and food, the fools there gouging taxes from pays the difference. Thought you would know that about your precious politicians!

Not according to this breakdown of Dail bar spending the night of the abortion debate. These figures don't seem to be subsidised.

74 pints of Guinness costing a total of €318.20
    31 quarter bottles of wine costing €170.50
    31 long neck bottles of beer costing €145.70
    29 vodkas and gins costing €118.90
    22 pints of Smithwicks costing €94.60
    17 brandys costing €85

http://t.news.ie.msn.com/ireland/pints-wine-and-scones-nearly-%e2%82%ac7k-spent-in-d%c3%a1il-bars-during-late-night-abortion-debate

Can you provide some actual evidence that the Dail bar is subsidised by taxpayers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Our politicians are supposed to (and swore to) work for the "common good".
    It is what politics entails.

They promised to stop cronyism and bad practices too in an effort to promote the "common good". Meanwhile they looked after Eamon Gilmour's wife with a nice wee cushy job paying 94K per year as well as other politicians family members.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tds-break-cronyism-pledge-by-giving-jobs-to-family-members-26740285.html

Do you call that "ethical and moral" governance.
    I haven't even mentioned their "elite" friends and bankers.

Gilmore's wife was already CEO of a public sector body-she had to be redeployed somewhere. That's a non story.

Rhetoric like elite and bankers friends etc lacks substance as a polemic. Why didn't you voice your disgust at banking and government when this state let banks run free as they wish unregulated and the executive drank with shoddy developers promising to look after them?

I bet you voted ff all the way through the boom and spouted the safe pair of hands for the economy line!

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Gilmore's wife was already CEO of a public sector body-she had to be redeployed somewhere. That's a non story.

Rhetoric like elite and bankers friends etc lacks substance as a polemic. Why didn't you voice your disgust at banking and government when this state let banks run free as they wish unregulated and the executive drank with shoddy developers promising to look after them?

I bet you voted ff all the way through the boom and spouted the safe pair of hands for the economy line!

So what about the other 25 plus TD's who employed family?
    Voted FF once, Lab once, Fg once. Don't trust any of them at all now. Self-servers.
    Have lambasted FF, Bankers and developers since the scandals became known and Charlie, Bertie etc for much longer. I don't see any change with the current crop to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If people were protesting against the continued and inflated welfare spend people like yourself would still find a way to criticise them for doing so.

That's not evidence that the Dail bar is subsidised by taxpayers.
    The actual prices I've posted don't point to it being subsidised - they seem in line with normal private club prices.

You said they pay 'a fraction' of the 'real' price. What fraction is it and what's the real price?

Not according to this breakdown of Dail bar spending the night of the abortion debate. These figures don't seem to be subsidised.

74 pints of Guinness costing a total of €318.20
    31 quarter bottles of wine costing €170.50
    31 long neck bottles of beer costing €145.70
    29 vodkas and gins costing €118.90
    22 pints of Smithwicks costing €94.60
    17 brandys costing €85

http://t.news.ie.msn.com/ireland/pints-wine-and-scones-nearly-%e2%82%ac7k-spent-in-d%c3%a1il-bars-during-late-night-abortion-debate

Can you provide some actual evidence that the Dail bar is subsidised by taxpayers?

So they have so must respect for the taxpayers, most of them were pissed on the night of one of the most important dail votes in years. Its nothing to be proud of pheobas!

You never responded to the link I posted about the cronyism ted.
    Politicians work very odd hours and its hard for the average worker to work around these hours, often work is taking home and calls are taking at hone. It actually makes sense for some of the roles to be filled by family members.

That's not evidence that the Dail bar is subsidised by taxpayers.
    The actual prices I've posted don't point to it being subsidised - they seem in line with normal private club prices.

You said they pay 'a fraction' of the 'real' price. What fraction is it and what's the real price?
    You keep your head in the sand. Your exactly what fianna fail want. Carry on!

So they have so must respect for the taxpayers, most of them were pissed on the night of one of the most important dail votes in years. Its nothing to be proud of pheobas!
    Are you changing the subject and getting personal because you can't back up your original assertion?

Politicians work very odd hours and its hard for the average worker to work around these hours, often work is taking home and calls are taking at hone. It actually makes sense for some of the roles to be filled by family members.

Ha ha ha. Yes that makes their honesty really shine through ha ha.
    Ability, fair advertising etc don't count at all. As I said "self-serving".
    The common good is their own good.

That link doesn't support your claim. It just says its cheaper than other bars in town. It's not aiming to make a profit, it doesn't have the same overheads, it didn't sign up to crazy rent.

Grand so... if family members are part of what they do then the most efficient place to protest is outside of their homes.

• Advertisement

Honestly, they had there minds made up which way they were voting. All they had to do was wait around and press a button they were not conducting brain surgery

The fact that they have a bar in the Dail at all is scandalous.
    What other workers in the country get paid while they consume alcohol?

There's a bar in RTE, The Jacobs factory in Tallaght had one, plenty of companies have social clubs with a bar.
    Google give beer to employees on Fridays.

It's far from scandalous

There's a bar in RTE, The Jacobs factory in Tallaght had one, plenty of companies have social clubs with a bar.

Does having a social club attached to your work place entitle you to turn up and perform your job while intoxicated?

You're defending something that simply shouldn't be defended. No logically minded person would excuse that.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-very-liquid-liquidation-of-ibrc-in-dail-members-bar-29179260.html

What's the excuse for this then? Please read the whole article before commenting.This is of course the paper of choice for fianna fail voters so there should be no problem.

Does having a social club attached to your work place entitle you to turn up and perform your job while intoxicated?

You're defending something that simply shouldn't be defended. No logically minded person would excuse that.

All they had to do was push a button at 5 in the morning. Remember they don't get over time.

Barristers, journalists... the usual sorts of groups which the meek minded folk of Ireland tend to defer to :pac:

All they had to do was push a button at 5 in the morning. Remember they don't get over time.

wow.. just wow

It's far from scandalous
    I once worked for a company who provided free beer for anyone who wanted it - to drink while you worked. Unusual enough practice but nice to be able to grab a beer when I was working late.

• Advertisement

It's far from scandalous

I'm sure those companies use their bars to entertain guests and that workers would not be allowed consume alcohol while on the job.
    Lapgate of course proves that those rules did not pertain in our house of Parliament on the night in question. Something that showed our brilliant politicians up all over the world.

Advertisement