Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a politicians home fair game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Does having a social club attached to your work place entitle you to turn up and perform your job while intoxicated?

You're defending something that simply shouldn't be defended. No logically minded person would excuse that.
    Nobody is defending turning up for work intoxicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ted1 wrote: »
    All they had to do was push a button at 5 in the morning. Remember they don't get over time.

You do understand WHY it was 5 in the morning no? What with the debate and all?

If all they had to do was 'push a button' as they'd already made up their minds why not do it at 17.30 and head to the pub?

Stop, breath and try to think for yourself for a minute I know it's hard but I have faith in you.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Nobody is defending turning up for work intoxicated.

The problem isn't they're turning up intoxicated, they're getting intoxicated at work, while working....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I once worked for a company who provided free beer for anyone who wanted it - to drink while you worked. Unusual enough practice but nice to be able to grab a beer when I was working late.

Link please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-very-liquid-liquidation-of-ibrc-in-dail-members-bar-29179260.html

What's the excuse for this then? Please read the whole article before commenting.This is of course the paper of choice for fianna fail voters so there should be no problem.
    I stopped reading the article mid way as it lost all credibility when it compared taking to previous night. It failed to mention that prom night had a full house and the night before was pretty empty. So per member the intake was reduced. Also bear in mind the hours the bar was open.

Unless an article gives full facts as oppose to those that make an article more controversial I ignore it.

• Advertisement

Link please.
    Link to what - a job application page?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I stopped reading the article mid way as it lost all credibility when it compared taking to previous night. It failed to mention that prom night had a full house and the night before was pretty empty. So per member the intake was reduced. Also bear in mind the hours the bar was open.

Unless an article gives full facts as oppose to those that make an article more controversial I ignore it.

It clearly states the dail bar is subsidised by the tax payer. But you only see what you want so carry on.

Fianna fails march continues!

wexie wrote: »
    You do understand WHY it was 5 in the morning no? What with the debate and all?

If all they had to do was 'push a button' as they'd already made up their minds why not do it at 17.30 and head to the pub?

Stop, breath and try to think for yourself for a minute I know it's hard but I have faith in you.
    Not all members were interested in the debate or cared about it. Therein a was set , those that were there to take part were not drinking heavily

Link to what - a job application page?

Of course we all believe you :rolleyes:
    The trouble you go to to defend the indefensible.

It clearly states the dail bar is subsidised by the tax payer. But you only see what you want so carry on.

An Indo journalist claims its taxpayer subsidised. Can you provide actual evidence or not?

• Advertisement

Not all members were interested in the debate or cared about it. Therein a was set , those that were there to take part were not drinking heavily

While I think (sadly) that you're probably right, do you not think that in itself is a huge ff'ing problem?
    I've been elected to help run the country but err...I can't really be bothered, I'll be in the bar lads, let me know when you need to me push the button.

You don't think that shows huge disrespect both to the people that elected them and the position itself?

No it doesn't, that is speculation and an opinion. It says drinks are 70c cheaper. That's because there not paying crazy rent. And the bar is not in it to make a profit.

Here's a quote from the article;
    While ordinary punters are expected to splash out up to €5 for a pint of Guinness in parts of Dublin, TDs and senators pay just €4.30 in Ireland's most famous hostelry.

There's plenty of places where Guinness is cheaper , is it being subsidised there too?

Of course we all believe you :rolleyes:
    :confused:
    The trouble you go to to defend the indefensible.
    What exactly do you think is the indefensible thing I've been defending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Why do they work so late at night debating very serious issues?

:confused:

What exactly do you think is the indefensible thing I've been defending?

Drinking while at work. It was a very serious debate and vote too.

Drinking while at work. It was a very serious debate and vote too.
    And can you show me where exactly I defended TDs drinking during any debate or vote?

And can you show me where exactly I defended TDs drinking during any debate or vote?

Apologies. It was ted.
    So you are against it then?

Apologies. It was ted.
    So you are against it then?
    Yep. I'm against being intoxicated while working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Politicians: A great bunch of lads.

They are not a bad sort really when they have finished taking your money to give to privately owned banks and creating a ton of different laws to make your life awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

That's not evidence that the Dail bar is subsidised by taxpayers.
    The actual prices I've posted don't point to it being subsidised - they seem in line with normal private club prices.

You said they pay 'a fraction' of the 'real' price. What fraction is it and what's the real price?

Agreed. 4.30 for a Guinness is not cheap. It's probably cheaper in Buswell's.

But the anti-establishmentarianist mind is mainly informed by the subtle tones of tabloid headlines rather than analysing the tabloid facts.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Agreed. 4.30 for a Guinness is not cheap. It's probably cheaper in Buswell's.

But the anti-establishmentarianist mind is mainly informed by the subtle tones of tabloid headlines rather than analysing the tabloid facts.

I don't care if its free. They should not be allowed drink in the Dail and especially on such an important occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ezra_pound wrote: »

Yeah.. fcuk those hippies who believe it's inappropriate for elected representatives to drink while at work :rolleyes:

Is there anything they could do which you'd actually have a problem with or are you just that hopelessly obsequious all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

I can only imagine, those horrified Dalkey residents having to see poor people out on their road.... how off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yeah.. fcuk those hippies who believe it's inappropriate for elected representatives to drink while at work :rolleyes:

Is there anything they could do which you'd actually have a problem with or are you just that hopelessly obsequious all the time?

So that's what the protest is about then... Closing down the bar. Well at least you've got a specific cause. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

If someone let me open a cheap bar at my place of business, then pass a law saying i could drive home drunk, they're welcome protest outside my house until the end of days...

Ireland, what a country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And this is why Water Charges protesters are damaging their own cause

http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-kenny-water-protest-1539622-Jun2014/?utm_source=shortlink

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Absolute scumbags - Sean Kenny should have every right to tell them to piss off from his doorstep. The gardai should have the right to remove them. Protest the Dail, his constituency office etc if that's what you want to do - his family and neighbours have done nothing to deserve this gormless band of filthbags and thugs outside their home.

I believe these are the same folks who hounded that young female Labour candidate out of her own estate during the election, so this sort of carry on is par for the course for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Regardless of what the issue is, Are the personal homes of politicians fair game for protests?

No, absolutely not. Neither are their family, friends, relations, or any others not directly affected in policy making. Don't bring work home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Foxhound38 wrote: »

"Why do you think the whole country is not out protesting?"

"Apathy. Fluoride in the water, chemtrails in the sky."

Are you kidding me?

Are you kidding me???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!??!?!

I FCUKING HATE ALL OF THESE PEOPLE!!!!!

Imbeciles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And this is why Water Charges protesters are damaging their own cause

http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-kenny-water-protest-1539622-Jun2014/?utm_source=shortlink

Jesus wept. Only on the journal would you find people, dublinsaysnotoeverything idiot included, that believe such behaviour is the best course of action. Commentators on there really are the bottom of the online barrel

Dave! wrote: »
    "Why do you think the whole country is not out protesting?"

"Apathy. Fluoride in the water, chemtrails in the sky."

Are you kidding me?

Are you kidding me???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!??!?!

I FCUKING HATE ALL OF THESE PEOPLE!!!!!

Imbeciles.

I'm looking at a few of the comments from this crod on the Journal now - they amount to "we don't like politicians so we should be allowed to do whatever we want to demonstrate that we don't like politicians".

Good stuff Dublin Says No - maybe beat up the 70 year old man next, or kick down his front door and do a sh*te into his kettle. That'll be sure to stop austerity. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

If you are arrogant enough to plaster your goddamn ugly mug election posters all over the place you are, in my opinion, absolutely fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

When government officials make threats to reduce the supply of water to people who wont be able to afford to pay the water rates; their homes are fair game for protests/pickets- threaten to bring pain and misery to peoples homes who dont have the financial means to pay another charge/tax dont complain when people let you know what they think of your threats.

The Th!ng wrote: »
    If you are arrogant enough to plaster your goddamn ugly mug election posters all over the place you are, in my opinion, absolutely fair game.

How do you suppose people should run for election in a "non-arrogant" way then? This is sort of the way it's been done for centuries, and they also take them down after the election or face a heavy fine.

Also, are their spouses fair game for this sort of intimidation outside their home? Their children? Their neighbours?

S.O wrote: »
    When government officials make threats to reduce the supply of water to people who wont be able to afford to pay the water rates; their homes are fair game for protests/pickets- threaten to bring pain and misery to peoples homes who dont have the financial means to pay another charge/tax dont complain when people let you know what they think of your threats.

Where do you draw the line?

If their homes are fair game, why stop at the front door - why not go straight to their sitting rooms? We're past the point of respecting privacy, so why not just break in?

Do these protestors really think that intimidating Sean Kenny's family is going to stop austerity? Do they think the government are bringing in water charges for the craic because they hate public support or something?

• Advertisement

Politicians have targeted the homes of the citizen so I see nothing wrong with a peaceful protest outside their homes.

Politicians have targeted the homes of the citizen so I see nothing wrong with a peaceful protest outside their homes.

Ah yeah - all politicians want everyone homeless :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I said nothing about politicians wanting people out of their homes.

Donchaknow they love public sorrow and hate making the people happy, the strange lot that they are :rolleyes:

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I said nothing about politicians wanting people out of their homes.

No. I understood it.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Will intimidating Sean Kenny's family and neighbours end austerity?

No. I understood it.

No your post states otherwise.

Will intimidating Sean Kenny's family and neighbours end austerity?

Maybe not BUT it will inconvenience said politician and let him know that the people he has targeted are not taking it lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Himself and foxyboxers69 are Labour supporters. They've no option at this stage but to make insane leaps of logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

efb wrote: »
    No.

Nice syllable to thanks ratio you got going there ;)

Himself and foxyboxers69 are Labour supporters. They've no option at this stage but to make insane leaps of logic.

What?? You mean there are still a few about? Hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

and they also take them down after the election or face a heavy fine.

During the election the litter wardens of my local council took down hundreds of posters that were put up in ways that were a contravention of the bye-laws. The vast majority of these were never collected afterwards and the council ended up paying for their disposal.

Far from it, although I don't hold the hate for them that some do here. Trust me, I'd be annoyed if this was any politicians home - FF included (and I can't stand them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

During the election the litter wardens of my local council took down hundreds of posters that were put up in ways that were a contravention of the bye-laws. The vast majority of these were never collected afterwards and the council ended up paying for their disposal.

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. It's not like carefully planned fly tipping with no address in the bags. They know who owns the posters, their names and faces are on most of them.

Which would have resulted in a fine for the candidate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement