Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a politicians home fair game?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No law is broken.

Shouting in public is still okey-dokey AFAIK.

But that's a lame fig-leaf of an argument.

Standing outside a house roaring your head off at a spouse & child, is still intimidating, still thuggish & so so pathetic.

Don't like someone's ideas?
    Come up with a better one..... Something the mob struggle with.

But at least have enough honour to leave their families out of it.

Aw now it can't be all that serious if no arrests have taken place. No need for exaggeration. Peaceful protest is acceptable and legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

S.O wrote: »
    About month ago on a prime time debate about the water charges , although it was totally biased/one sided a panel of three with one person against water charges (Clare Daly) and two for water charges (fergus o dewd) and a college economist- o dewd Interupted clare daly a few times asking whats the alternative? when clare daly replied and pointed out that a financial transcations tax was being introduced in different EU countries that week and

No such law exists yet..... Though globally it would be great.

11 of the 28 EU states have agreed to something yet undecided, in 2016.

The rest didn't fancy it.

If its not global, it would have been a hammer blow to the IFSC & the yield would reduce year on year, solving nothing & losing good jobs.

Aw now it can't be all that serious if no arrests have taken place. No need for exaggeration. Peaceful protest is acceptable and legal.

Peaceful & intimidating are not mutually exclusive.

"Peaceful" can be silence or it can be shouting at a house under the impression that if no violence is used, that's A-okay.

And seeing the likes of the rent-a-mobs at the water metres "protests", I wouldn't trust the extreme lefts interpretation of 'peaceful' any day.

Peaceful & intimidating are not mutually exclusive.

"Peaceful" can be silence or it can be shouting at a house under the impression that if no violence is used, that's A-okay.

And seeing the likes of the rent-a-mobs at the water metres, I wouldn't trust the extreme lefts interpretation of 'peaceful' any day.

Surely the Gardai know what's intimidating and what's not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

A lot of Gardaí, in my unfortunate experience, rarely give a flying ****. May well be different when a national figure is involved, but Joe & Josephine Bloggs are very much on their own in most cases.

We hope so.

Though often they seem to prefer to let sh*t slide when they know they are out manned.

Of course, there wouldn't be cops around in no threat existed.

A lot of Gardaí, in my unfortunate experience, rarely give a flying ****. May well be different when a national figure is involved, but Joe & Josephine Bloggs are very much on their own in most cases.

If a complaint is made to the Gardai they have to act. Surely then they would act especially in the case of a complaint made by a politician.

If a complaint is made to the Gardai they have to act. Surely then they would act especially in the case of a complaint made by a politician.

Probably in the case of a pol.

"Having to act" is a lot more of a cloudy issue. Firstly you must make a written formal complaint, everything else can be ignored.

Even after that there's a dozen ways things just don't get done. Garda not on duty/available for weeks on end, misinterpretation of the law, contrary "directives" from superiors, etc.

TBH I doubt I'll ever darken the doorstep of a Garda station with a complaint again.

Probably in the case of a pol.

"Having to act" is a lot more of a cloudy issue. Firstly you must make a written formal complaint, everything else can be ignored.

Even after that there's a dozen ways things just don't get done. Garda not on duty/available for weeks on end, misinterpretation of the law, contrary "directives" from superiors, etc.

TBH I doubt I'll ever darken the doorstep of a Garda station with a complaint again.

Maybe so but if the Gardai witness an act of intimidation then they don't need anyone to make a complaint. They can act themselves.
    Anyway the debate was about the right to protest outside someone's home. If its peaceful then I think it's ok. Many types of protest are ineffectual but these seem to be getting attention.

Maybe so but if the Gardai witness an act of intimidation then they don't need anyone to make a complaint. They can act themselves.
    Anyway the debate was about the right to protest outside someone's home. If its peaceful then I think it's ok. Many types of protest are ineffectual but these seem to be getting attention.

Gardaí are rarely in attendance when something happens, it's usually after the fact.

Protests are a powerful leverage as an addition to effective lobbying. They're a last resort not a first resort and are completely useless, imo, as a stand alone action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

That depends on what games these politicians are playing.

Gardaí are rarely in attendance when something happens, it's usually after the fact.

Protests are a powerful leverage as an addition to effective lobbying. They're a last resort not a first resort and are completely useless, imo, as a stand alone action.

Well I don't know about that. Lobbying politicians who themselves have agreed with their party policy in order to promote their own career seems to be a waste of time. That's why the voters turned on Labour in the elections. I used to always vote for them but never again. Waiting another 5 years to have another go at them is a long way down the road. I can see why people are angry.

Not talking about elections. Talking about having an effective lobby group, which if it gets into difficulty can draw support from well organised and focused public support.

But.....

Pick your battles, not all of them can be won.

Still very much against protesting someones home.

Advertisement