Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Something I was wondering: is the Big 4 salary 21500/22500* for Dublin, or is it higher? Seems that salary would go way farther in Limerick/Cork/Galway/general down the country.

* Masters salary

I wonder if that's after tax? If not it's not much to live on!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moneyonmymind

cat_xx wrote: »

Its the gross salary but the salary increments seem pretty decent especially when you qualify. for a starting salary, its grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Tell ya what, it's no easier to get into, or even get an interview with, the smaller firms. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'd say its gross but on a salary that low you would pay very little tax anyway, and probably none for 2014 as tax credits will cover it.
    for example, I was earning 23500 on my work placement and with tax, usc and everything, only lost around €120 every 2 weeks.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I'd say its gross but on a salary that low you would pay very little tax anyway, and probably none for 2014 as tax credits will cover it.
    for example, I was earning 23500 on my work placement and with tax, usc and everything, only lost around €120 every 2 weeks.

You'd be paying 20% tax rate and then there is usc it works out at about €362 a week! It's tight enough!

ryanf1 wrote: »

Huh? Income tax bands are unchanged and 21,500 is nowhere near low enough to not be paying tax even with any changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Minji wrote: »
    From my experience, I would go for Deloitte. It's also the global biggest one. I don't know about PwC but Deloitte staffs don't bear much pressure.

Global size is generally pretty irrelevant for a graduate.
    Global size becomes a factor once you are qualified, and if you see yourself staying working in audit long-term. At that point, it's actually not that difficult to move between the Big 4 (there are often shortages at 1st/2nd year manager level that result in cross-hiring).

Globally, PwC and Deloitte are basically the same size in terms of revenue, with Deloitte having about 15k more employees. PwC have a bigger audit practice and Deloitte a bigger consulting arm.

In Ireland, PwC and KPMG are a bit ahead of Deloitte and EY both in terms of size, and in client profile (quality of clients often being ignored by graduates when assessing their options).

The vast majority of graduates joining the Big 4 won't stay in auditing for long beyond their training contract. The clients that they work on in their 3/3.5 years can have a huge impact on what sort of job they will get in industry, and you really should look at the client profile (in Ireland) of each of the Big 4 that you have offers from.

Deloitte seems to be better (from friends and current colleagues who have worked there) in terms of the firm organising social events, etc. But the social scene is fairly good in all of the firms.

From friends that have worked in EY (both FS and non-FS, all audit) I haven't heard a whole lot positive, other than from one who worked on the CRH audit. The Irish partners were bought out by the UK firm a few years ago, and morale seems to be on the floor (more so than the other firms).

PwC and KPMG seem to do more overtime that the others. PwC still offer the choice of taking time in lieu or being paid for overtime. KMPG and Deloitte (as far as I am aware) only offer time in lieu, and EY don't give anything for overtime.

In terms of pay, they are all generally close enough through a training contract.

Huh? Income tax bands are unchanged and 21,500 is nowhere near low enough to not be paying tax even with any changes.

On a salary of €22k you would pay tax of €1,100, USC of €858.80 and PRSI of €880.

That's assuming that you have single person and PAYE tax credits, and make no pension contributions and have no other deductions or credits.

blackwhite wrote: »
    On a salary of €22k you would pay tax of €1,100, USC of €858.80 and PRSI of €880.

That's assuming that you have single person and PAYE tax credits, and make no pension contributions and have no other deductions or credits.

I know that.

Safe to say most trainees won't have too many extra credits. The poster I quoted seemed to be saying that assuming the basic credits you mentioned, one wouldn't pay tax in 2014 on the trainee salary.

• Advertisement

I know that.

Safe to say most trainees won't have too many extra credits.

Wasn't directed specifically at you, just your's was the last post on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

What kind of salary bump in the Big 4 over the course of your contract? Yearly, every time you pass an exam, by their discretion or none at all?

spillit67 wrote: »
    What kind of salary bump in the Big 4 over the course of your contract? Yearly, every time you pass an exam, by their discretion or none at all?

Any offers yet?

spillit67 wrote: »

Salaries are generally reviewed once a year, and after passing FAEs.

At the time I left (nearly 3 years ago) they didn't review salaries after CAP1/2 exams.

From what I understand salaries have fallen since I was a trainee so I'm not sure what the various in-contract levels are now.

From what I've seen of CVs on my desk, Big 4 pay is just over the €40k mark for people in their first year out of training contract.
    Possibly this is overstated by people hoping we will pay them a bit more! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I know that.

Safe to say most trainees won't have too many extra credits. The poster I quoted seemed to be saying that assuming the basic credits you mentioned, one wouldn't pay tax in 2014 on the trainee salary.

I would assume that he was referring to he fact hat the start date would be Sept 2014 and most trainees would be coming from college and would therefore not have reached the necessary income levels within the remaining 4 months to pay tax?

MLC61 wrote: »
    I would assume that he was referring to he fact hat the start date would be Sept 2014 and most trainees would be coming from college and would therefore not have reached the necessary income levels within the remaining 4 months to pay tax?

All well and good for the first 3/4 months, but you won't be getting a salary increase in January, when taxes will be calculated on the basis of a full years salary.

If someone's trying to budget for living in Dublin on a €22k salary for their first year then they're much better off focusing on the 9 months that they'll be taxed as opposed to the 3 months that they won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes thats correct. assuming you dont have a part time job, you will have the full €3300 Credits to use in only 4 months.

Gotcha. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Minji

Anyone got PFO email after interview from any big4?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Anyone got PFO email after interview from any big4?

Still waiting on mine from Deloitte. They said to expect offer/rejection early this week but I'm losing hope as I reckon if I'd got the job I would have found out yesterday. Oh well.

:(, haiz, I really want to know the result. I am waiting for both KMPG and Deloitte. I hope thing ends this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Aine20

Just wondering if anyone who received offer from Deloitte could figure out their study leave from the offer pack? I cant figure it out and its one thing I think I would use when deciding them or KPMG :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RN001

Anyone hear back from Mazars yet? Interviewed for Tax last week but heard nothing since

I'm in the same boat as you. Have you heard anything either way? I'm just assuming that it's a no at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tralalalala

RN001 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. Have you heard anything either way? I'm just assuming that it's a no at this point.

Also in the same position! I had my interview last Tuesday and she seemed kinda defensive about the fact that they would only be getting back to people early this week. So there's still hope, though it is fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RN001

Also in the same position! I had my interview last Tuesday and she seemed kinda defensive about the fact that they would only be getting back to people early this week. So there's still hope, though it is fading.

Fading fast for me. I don't like the waiting game.

For all the people waiting, why don't you get in touch with them?

Once it goes over a week, I'd definitely make contact to find out. It also means if you did well in the interview but didn't quite make the cut, you'll be refreshed in their mind for if any positions become available later in the year.

I'd be inclined to think that if you haven't heard by now, you likely haven't been successful, but try and get some feedback!

For all the people waiting, why don't you get in touch with them?

Once it goes over a week, I'd definitely make contact to find out. It also means if you did well in the interview but didn't quite make the cut, you'll be refreshed in their mind for if any positions become available later in the year.

I'd be inclined to think that if you haven't heard by now, you likely haven't been successful, but try and get some feedback!

I doubt getting on touch will make any difference re getting a job in the future. Personally, i did not get in touch because i did not want to hassle them. also, i am fairly sure hr wont inform one candidate of the fact they were not successful until they are in a position to inform all candidates of that fact.

I doubt getting on touch will make any difference re getting a job in the future. Personally, i did not get in touch because i did not want to hassle them. also, i am fairly sure hr wont inform one candidate of the fact they were not successful until they are in a position to inform all candidates of that fact.

I emailed the partner who interviewed me directly.

She rang me the next day and we had a good 'ol chat. Of course nothing might come of it, but putting myself out there has never been a bad move, in my experience. No idea why people are so terrified of HR either. :confused: I'd be impatient to know either way, why bother waiting around to find out once a decent amount of time has passed?

"Now is the time for guts and guile". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tralalalala

Consulting second round interviews are ongoing, apparently - got a phonecall there. Not sure about the rest.

I emailed the partner who interviewed me directly.

She rang me the next day and we had a good 'ol chat. Of course nothing might come of it, but putting myself out there has never been a bad move, in my experience. No idea why people are so terrified of HR either. :confused: I'd be impatient to know either way, why bother waiting around to find out once a decent amount of time has passed?

"Now is the time for guts and guile". :)

In fairness,the whole mile round system wouldn't work if everyone was contacting partners.best of luck with it anyway

In fairness,the whole mile round system wouldn't work if everyone was contacting partners.

All I can say is it went fine for me. The interviews are spread across partners so each one will probably have a small number of interviewees. Some of those will quickly get offers, leaving an even smaller number of unsuccessful candidates. So I'm not sure why the milkround "wouldn't work" if every unsuccessful candidate contacted theirs? :confused:

• Advertisement

All I can say is it went fine for me. The interviews are spread across partners so each one will probably have a small number of interviewees. Some of those will quickly get offers, leaving an even smaller number of unsuccessful candidates. So I'm not sure why the milkround "wouldn't work" if every unsuccessful candidate contacted theirs? :confused:

they are spread out, but the all the partners who interviewed me had interviews all day.easily talking 20 plus candidates per partner. I doubt most partners would be too eager to have a chat with all the unsuccessful candidates.

they are spread out, but the all the partners who interviewed me had interviews all day.easily talking 20 plus candidates per partner. I doubt most partners would be too eager to have a chat with all the unsuccessful candidates.

Mine was very keen to, responding to my request for feedback email quickly to arrange a time to call. She then spent a good amount of time talking to me on that call. If a partner is interviewing all day, taking into account breaks and other work that needs doing, that's probably no more than 8 candidates in a day.

People shouldn't be so meek. If they're not keen to talk, you'll be able to pick up on that.

Anyway, that's just my view, nobody has to take this advice!

Mine was very keen to, responding to my request for feedback email quickly to arrange a time to call. She then spent a good amount of time talking to me on that call. If a partner is interviewing all day, taking into account breaks and other work that needs doing, that's probably no more than 8 candidates in a day.

People shouldn't be so meek. If they're not keen to talk, you'll be able to pick up on that.

Anyway, that's just me view, nobody has to take this advice!

yeah,that's fair enough. its definitely not meek to decide not to call however

got PFO from KPMG haft an hour ago.

yeah,that's fair enough. its definitely not meek to decide not to call however

Well, not in every case, no, but in some, maybe!

got PFO from KPMG haft an hour ago.

Sorry. :( Been there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Anyway, that's just my view, nobody has to take this advice!

You are being a little forthright in your advice - given your reaction earlier in the thread to someone offering equally practical advice to you?

I really don't see calling a partner to check on the progress of your application is going to improve your chances of success. In your case you had already received the rejection so had nothing to lose.

You are being a little forthright in your advice - given your reaction earlier in the thread to someone offering equally practical advice to you?

My reaction to that was based on the fact that they persisted when I indicated that personal circumstance meant it wasn't right for me. Which it wasn't. They then finished with a rather snide comment. I'm hardly going to go into details of my personal life on here, am I?

What's wrong with being forthright? I just don't really understand why people would be so resistant to it. From my own experience, and that of some of my friends, getting in contact after an interview is often a good move. I'm not necessarily just talking about this sector, different ones. There seems to be so much myth around the milkround process. Time to demystify it maybe?

And I'm just one person posting on here. You don't have to take my advice, or even read my posts. I'm not claiming to be an oracle.

My reaction to that was based on the fact that they persisted when I indicated that personal circumstance meant it wasn't right for me. Which it wasn't. They then finished with a rather snide comment. I'm hardly going to go into details of my personal life on here, am I?

What's wrong with being forthright? I just don't really understand why people would be so resistant to it. From my own experience, and that of some of my friends, getting in contact after an interview is often a good move. I'm not necessarily just talking about this sector, different ones. There seems to be so much myth around the milkround process. Time to demystify it maybe?

And I'm just one person posting on here. You don't have to take my advice, or even read my posts. I'm not claiming to be an oracle.

demystify in that calling a partner after an unsuccessful interview is a sure way to get a job the next time!?

• Advertisement

demystify in that calling a partner after an unsuccessful interview is a sure way to get a job the next time!?

Now now, did I say it's a sure way? ;)

I don't think you have anything to lose contacting hr to see where you stand!

Now now, did I say it's a sure way? ;)

you were implying it gives you some kind of edge over everyone next time round

Getting feedback would give you an edge! You will know what you need to do/what you need to improve on for future interviews.

What's so bad about asking for feedback? It won't hurt to ask and the worst that can happen is that they won't reply.

I was saying it doesn't hurt at all, at least in my experience. But *obviously* it's not a sure thing. I only posted about it because some people are being kept waiting a long time to hear the outcome of their interviews.

Getting feedback would give you an edge! You will know what you need to do/what you need to improve on for future interviews.

What's so bad about asking for feedback? It won't hurt to ask and the worst that can happen is that they won't reply.

seemed to be more about the fact she had a chat with the partner rather then the feedback tbh

• Advertisement

seemed to be more about the fact she had a chat with the partner rather then the feedback tbh

I don't get what the big deal is? She requested feedback and the partner rang her giving her feedback!

I had a chat with the partner about feedback amongst other things. I may never hear from her again, who knows. Listen, contact them, don't contact them, whatever. Jaysus.

I had a chat with the partner about feedback amongst other things. I may never hear from her again, who knows. Listen, contact them, don't contact them, whatever. Jaysus.

It was just your attitude about it, anyway best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Am i seeing things or have FGS reopened the grad roles already following the milk round

scheister wrote: »
    Am i seeing things or have FGS reopened the grad roles already following the milk round

Where are you seeing this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement