Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Aine20

Anyone accept Deloitte Audit for Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm starting to look into smaller firms now. Seen one called beechwood partners that I like. Ad says they are seeking "high calibre graduates" but it doesn't specify anything in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I'm starting to look into smaller firms now. Seen one called beechwood partners that I like. Ad says they are seeking "high calibre graduates" but it doesn't specify anything in particular.

I interviewed for them through a recruitment agency haven't heard anything back. They specify in tax. The recruiter called them a "tax boutique" He was very scrutinising of my results so i'd say they are looking for a very high standard. Hope that helps!

cat_xx wrote: »
    I interviewed for them through a recruitment agency haven't heard anything back. They specify in tax. The recruiter called them a "tax boutique" He was very scrutinising of my results so i'd say they are looking for a very high standard. Hope that helps!

What kinds of things did they ask about your results?

What kinds of things did they ask about your results?

Why weren't they better essentially! I have a 2.2 corporate law degree and then I did a LLB to get a 2.1 and now im doing tax exams. I got nowhere with a 2.2.

The thing about applying to smaller firms is they only take on 1 or 2 people. Keep trying for the bigger firms and try to get help with your applications from career services because they know exactly how to answer the questions.

Why weren't they better essentially! I have a 2.2 corporate law degree and then I did a LLB to get a 2.1 and now im doing tax exams. I got nowhere with a 2.2.

The thing about applying to smaller firms is they only take on 1 or 2 people. Keep trying for the bigger firms and try to get help with your applications from career services because they know exactly how to answer the questions.

I'm expecting to get a 2:2 business degree too, I find the bigger firms have no interest if you don't have a 2:1.
    I do have some personal things which I would hope might help in explaining why my grades are not top notch but for me are very good considering what I've dealt with. Maybe not though.

I'm expecting to get a 2:2 business degree too, I find the bigger firms have no interest if you don't have a 2:1.
    I do have some personal things which I would hope might help in explaining why my grades are not top notch but for me are very good considering what I've dealt with. Maybe not though.

Is there no hope of getting a 2.1? Surely you have summer exams that could pull you up? I do know it is easier said than done though from my own experience!

Is there no hope of getting a 2.1? Surely you have summer exams that could pull you up? I do know it is easier said than done though from my own experience!
    It would take a miracle but never say never, I'm a good bit away from it so it would mean getting A's in nearly all exams which is not a realistic aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

I was sitting on a high 3rd lower 2.2 in after Christmas exams, pulled it up to 3% off a 2.1 so it's not impossible, of course it depends on your attitude and the college system on exams, and likewise I had personal issue for most of my college life, so you can do it, but it's a lot of work and sacrifice!

With regard to salary, does the minimum wage apply to training contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

With regard to salary, does the minimum wage apply to training contracts?

20,500 - 21,500 seems to be the going rate for the big 4 and mid tier firms this year inc. Dublin. Might be a bit higher for tax?

cat xx, do you know what your starting salary will be if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xiongnu

I think 22,500 is the starting salary for a bachelor's, don't know what other firms are though, just assuming they wouldnt be any less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hamm

Hi April

I meant to apply to Microsoft but forgot to in the end. Did you?

I think most of the firms use LC points as the first filter for applications. Not to sound bitter but it's annoying to hear about my classmates with a better LC get multiple interviews with the big firms while I have been consistently getting 20-30% more than them in exams over 3rd and 4th year and I got one lousy last minute interview with a top 10 firm and countless PFO emails after the deadline.

That's good to know that more contracts will be advertised again.
    Hi hamm, did you apply to the Microsoft grad programme, out of interest? Did you hear anything back?

As to your query... I dunno. You not ticking the box might not be why you didn't get more interviews. I made around 15 applications in total (~ 7 at the milkround time and some later ones) - I have 480 LC points, including a higher B in Maths and English, a 2.1 degree (science though) and am doing an Accounting PgDip which gives me a number of exemptions.

I got one interview, with KPMG (unsuccessful). Most firms, I didn't even hear back from. It's likely my applications just weren't up to scratch. But I wouldn't contact firms that didn't give me an interview on the basis that my application fell short. They made their decision.

Training contracts tend to be advertised again later in the year, so I'd focus your attention on that, if I were you! :) It is likely that your LC might be an issue too, but I don't know. They do seem a tad hung up on points, I think because it shows you're consistent across different types of exams, I guess.

Does anyone know how many weeks study leave the big firms give for ACA exams each year, and what is the norm in industry for ACCA?

hamm wrote: »
    Hi April

I meant to apply to Microsoft but forgot to in the end. Did you?

I did. Filled in an evaluation form they sent, no reply yet. If I pass, the next stage is a phone interview. I have no idea if they send the evaluation form to everyone who applies though.

LC points aren't always a guarantee of an interview. One of my classmates got 500+ points and a 2.1 and only got one interview.

Did you analyse your applications to see where you might have gone wrong? Perhaps they came across a bit complacent or something?

April, I don't know. I'd guess only some of the applicants get the evaluation form as they look to cull the numbers at each stage.

It got to the stage where I was so fed up by the umpteenth application that I was just rejigging my answers from other applications, in order to meet the deadlines, so I'm sure I made loads of stupid mistakes.

hamm wrote: »
    It got to the stage where I was so fed up by the umpteenth application that I was just rejigging my answers from other applications, in order to meet the deadlines, so I'm sure I made loads of stupid mistakes.

Well, there'll have to be places available later on in the year because some people get multiple offers and can only accept one! :)

If you send an application via email can you expect any form of acknowledgement?

If you send an application via email can you expect any form of acknowledgement?

I haven't for most of my email applications. A couple of them, yes, but most, no.

• Advertisement

Even a line saying thank you for your application or something like that would be nice. Lets you know it got to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

got another interview. Went for an interview with Aviva today for a tax trainee job.
    I agree with what others are saying about companies not getting back to you. whats worse then applying and hearing nothing i have had firms where i have got an interview and then hear nothing.

The one I sent off today has a closing date of Friday which is the day most offices will close for christmas so I expect I won't hear anything until the new year.

The one I sent off today has a closing date of Friday which is the day most offices will close for christmas so I expect I won't hear anything until the new year.

Beechwood? Yeah, they don't acknowledge applications, I sent them one about three weeks ago. Doubt they'll have many spots available, TBH.

Beechwood? Yeah, they don't acknowledge applications, I sent them one about three weeks ago. Doubt they'll have many spots available, TBH.

No probably not but I get the feeling it's more than just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Hope this is true but a bit of festive cheer for anyone who took up a role with EY..apparently from January they are introducing time off in lieu for overtime. A nice thing for anybody starting in September. Heard it from a friend of mine who works there so it seems legit!

Happy Christmas all!

• Advertisement

Obrieski wrote: »
    Hope this is true but a bit of festive cheer for anyone who took up a role with EY..apparently from January they are introducing time off in lieu for overtime. A nice thing for anybody starting in September. Heard it from a friend of mine who works there so it seems legit!

Happy Christmas all!

I heard that too but not from anyone official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I heard that too but not from anyone official

Yeah it's true. Only for people in audit though. Hopefully they will actually be allowed charge the time. It's a problem in a few of the firms, particularly in the industry audit departments whereby the TOIL does not get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭spillit67

How much TOIL would you expect in the average Big4/Middle tier audit department? Couple of days a year?

spillit67 wrote: »
    How much TOIL would you expect in the average Big4/Middle tier audit department? Couple of days a year?

Depends on the firm and the jobs you are on. There is no average amount really. You could be on one of the big bank jobs and accrue over a months TOIL. You could build that up working on an insurance company and a fund also.
    You are quite likely going to work fairly long hours in a Big4 audit role, but again this isn't a given. I know plenty of people who worked less than 40 hours every week in busy season during their first year.

Depends on the firm and the jobs you are on. There is no average amount really. You could be on one of the big bank jobs and accrue over a months TOIL. You could build that up working on an insurance company and a fund also.
    You are quite likely going to work fairly long hours in a Big4 audit role, but again this isn't a given. I know plenty of people who worked less than 40 hours every week in busy season during their first year.

Jeepers, how would that work out so?

• Advertisement

spillit67 wrote: »
    Jeepers, how would that work out so?

How do you mean? They would probably use it as study leave or else take it as holidays.

How do you mean? They would probably use it as study leave or else take it as holidays.

Wow. I just wouldn't expect for you to get that much, I thought it would be capped at least.

I know as a trainee solicitor it is expected that you do a lot of extra hours, though they are paid much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

Guy who told me says he expects he might be able to 'clock up' up to 11 days due to TOIL, I don't know how accurate that is but he seemed quite happy about its introduction!

Is there anyone considering applying for smaller firms?
    Just wondering is the best way to search through the CAI website and find a few to apply to?

PFO from Baker Tilly today

PFO from Baker Tilly today

yea took them a while to send them out think i have one application left but not holding much in the last one going on form

Well there's usually more firms recruiting around this time of year so I wouldn't give up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sugarman21

I had an interview with glanbia before christmas and was told I would get word whether I am called back for 2nd round interview before or immediately after the new year. I have yet to hear anything so I am wondering if anyone had interviewed has got any word from them?

anyone get a call for interview off RBK or O'Connor leddy holmes in the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 freema

just wondering does anyone know anything about the transfer pricing sector in KPMG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

freema wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone know anything about the transfer pricing sector in KPMG

applications open for sept 2014 are they? were you called for interview, sure there must be info on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

As well as transfer pricing, they are also looking for people to do a masters/PDA in September. Is this a year-round thing?
    I really think the PDA is the way to go for me, would anyone have any idea how many places on the PDA courses KPMG provide funding for?

Interview with Beechwood next Wednesday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Finance Siobhan

Applied yesterday to a small firm at about 5pm, got a 'Thanks but no thanks' response by half 11 this morning. Brutal! :-/

But at least they responded, I guess...

Interview with O Brien Harnett next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mucks65

Interview with O Brien Harnett next week!

have an interview with them also! anyone been through their interview process??

mucks65 wrote: »
    have an interview with them also! anyone been through their interview process??
    Do you think they are just interviewing everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mucks65

im not sure but i do know a few people who got called aswell

Its just that I think they are spending alot of time on interviews. And I thought getting a choice of time was odd too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Starbordsie

Its just that I think they are spending alot of time on interviews. And I thought getting a choice of time was odd too.

That's not so odd, many companies realise that candidates have lives too so offer a bit of flexibility. Of course, most companies just give a time, like it or lump it! :pac:

Advertisement