Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

PWC - Audit interview
    KPMG - Audit interview
    Mazzars - Audit interview
    Deloitte - Audit no word
    EY - Audit no word
    GT - Audit no word
    RSM - Audit no word
    BDO - Audit no word

Glad to have some interviews alright but i'd still like to at least have some backup in case my first few interviews go poorly like!

Spare a thought for those with only the one interview! It's all or nothing! What were your LC and 3rd level results if you don't mind me asking? You've quite a few offers there so I'm assuming quite high?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭neilaccountant

PWC - audit, tax, heard nothing
    KPMG - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    Mazars - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    Deloitte - Audit, tax heard nothing
    EY - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    GT - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    RSM - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    BDO - Audit, tax, heard nothing
    Baker Tilly - Audit, tax, heard nothing

I don't expect any of those heard nothings to change anytime soon :(

KPMG - Tax - Interview
    PWC -Tax - no word
    EY - Tax - no word
    Deloitte - Tax - no word
    Mazars - Tax - no word
    Grant Thornton - Tax - no word

Jaysus.

You're limiting yourself with only going for tax ? If you really want to be in the top firms, to give yourself the best possible chance of getting there you'd throw in auditing, at least as a 2nd choice

but I cant say much really as you have 1 interview and ive none so perhaps im wrong icon6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I've an offer from one of the big 4 (won't say which as I less than positive about my placement!)

Applied to Grant Thornton for audit and heard nothing yet.

This thread is a bit depressing :( I was so optimistic at the beginning when filling out the application forms

I knew I wouldn't get interviews and job offers left, right and centre but jeez I never thought I'd be left in the dark altogether either

I nearly rather receive the rejection emails now rather than just prolonging the inevitability of receiving them in 2 weeks or so anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

This thread is a bit depressing :( I was so optimistic at the beginning when filling out the application forms

I knew I wouldn't get interviews and job offers left, right and centre but jeez I never thought I'd be left in the dark altogether either

I nearly rather receive the rejection emails now rather than just prolonging the inevitability of receiving them in 2 weeks or so anyways

feeling exact same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

You're limiting yourself with only going for tax ? If you really want to be in the top firms, to give yourself the best possible chance of getting there you'd throw in auditing, at least as a 2nd choice

I did. I just wrote my first pref here.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

I've got interviews with the following for audit, if anyone is waiting on them.
    Deloitte,PwC,KPMG,Grant Thornton, RSM Farrell Grant Sparks.

If you're waiting on companies, just keep the faith!
    So long you don't get a rejection letter, you still have a chance of getting called.
    If not for the first round, then the 2nd.

TG860 wrote: »
    I've got interviews with the following for audit, if anyone is waiting on them.
    Deloitte,PwC,KPMG,Grant Thornton, RSM Farrell Grant Sparks.

If you're waiting on companies, just keep the faith!
    So long you don't get a rejection letter, you still have a chance of getting called.
    If not for the first round, then the 2nd.

I dunno, I doubt this post is going to make many people feel better! :D

Out of curiosity, have there been any rejection letters even sent out yet?

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, have there been any rejection letters even sent out yet?

Cat xx got a rejection from EY, haven't heard anything other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

Spare a thought for those with only the one interview! It's all or nothing! What were your LC and 3rd level results if you don't mind me asking? You've quite a few offers there so I'm assuming quite high?

I know its horrible so many people being left in the dark like this! I really hope everyone gets at least a chance for some interviews like!

Well my leaving cert was really good I did all higher level subjects and got around 500 points but then in second year of college some personal circumstances affected me so I didnt do as well as I hoped in that year. So right now my degree is at a 2.2. I never stated any reason why my grades were low or anything because I didnt want to disclose it but im really surprised I got interviews. I'm assuming its because if the work experience i've already had and im doing my thesis on corporate governance so its not all about grades lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eireann91

Heard nothing yet about any consulting applications.. Not sure how many more days I can constantly check for emails before cracking up! Hard being a second round hopeful haha

Eireann91 wrote: »
    Heard nothing yet about any consulting applications.

Jays, no one seems to be having much look with consulting applications!

At least with FGS, they say when the interviews are scheduled for so you can confidently rule them out once the date passes! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Some companies such as BDO and baker Tilly Ryan Gelennon haven't closed yet so I wouldn't worry too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Liam1703

I received a call from EY this morning for assurance so don't lose hope. Interview next Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 beirne6

Interview with KPMG was fine, no difficult questions! Did a lot of studying for nothing! The business test was easy enough too, one question on business and one on career. Interviews went great and I though they liked me but they were put off because I'm doing engineering and dont have any accounting experience, which made me wonder why they called me for interview at all!

beirne6 wrote: »
    Interview with KPMG was fine, no difficult questions! Did a lot of studying for nothing! The business test was easy enough too, one question on business and one on career. Interviews went great and I though they liked me but they were put off because I'm doing engineering and dont have any accounting experience, which made me wonder why they called me for interview at all!

How long does the interview last? Do you find that you do most of the talking or is it more of a back and forth discussion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 beirne6

They expect you to do the talking, a lot of the time theyl kind of bring up a topic and let you talk about it. Roughly 2 x 45mins, but i didnt feel like it.

They expect you to do the talking, a lot of the time theyl kind of bring up a topic and let you talk about it. Roughly 2 x 45mins, but i didnt feel like it.

So there were two 45 minute interviews? Who interviews you? Did you find that you were often answering many of the same questions in each interview? or were they totally different. The thought of talking for an hour and a half about myself is a bit daunting!

Hi beirne6, can you PM me details of the business exercise, if it's not too much trouble? Many thanks! :)

I was going to prepare an application for BDO, but ya know what? I'm all applicationed out. I can't get it up for another one. I've submitted plenty anyway, and I have college work to do! :)

I was going to prepare an application for BDO, but ya know what? I'm all applicationed out. I can't get it up for another one. I've submitted plenty anyway, and I have college work to do! :)

Same, the fatigue really sets in after the first two :p

I believe Grant Thornton are finishing interviews today and will be issuing their offers tomorrow, if anyone applied there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

TG860 wrote: »
    Same, the fatigue really sets in after the first two :p

I believe Grant Thornton are finishing interviews today and will be issuing their offers tomorrow, if anyone applied there.

I don't know if their finishing yet. When I submitted my application to Grant Thornton the confirmation email I received said their looking to start interviewing from the 20th October to mid November!
    Still a good chance people will get called I'd say!

• Advertisement

I don't know if their finishing yet. When I submitted my application to Grant Thornton the confirmation email I received said their looking to start interviewing from the 20th October to mid November!
    Still a good chance people will get called I'd say!

Oh, fair enough then!
    This was for audit positions by the way, maybe the interviewer was just saying they were finishing personally rather than the firm in general. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

I applied for 4 firms.
    2 of the big 4 and 2 not.

Yet to hear anything back.. Do I take it as I have not been considered?
    Most people I know who have applied have heard some sort of news be it good or bad...

:confused:

oldspice wrote: »
    I applied for 4 firms.
    2 of the big 4 and 2 not.

Yet to hear anything back.. Do I take it as I have not been considered?
    Most people I know who have applied have heard some sort of news be it good or bad...

:confused:

Not necessarily. I'd think that the rejection letters won't be out until the week after next so until then you should still be in the mix. Admittedly our prospects are a little less hopeful than last week, but still, hope is hope. I'd think the 2nd round offers should make a lot of people here much happier.

On another note, is anyone here going up to the Deloitte career info day on wednesday 30th? I'd like to go but it's a huge hassle for me to travel from Donegal. Will I learn anything there that I won't find online? Will it reflect poorly on my application?

I'd be interested. I haven't applied to EY but I'd think that a lot of the questions will be similar to those that other firms would ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone else finding it very difficult to arrange these interviews/information sessions around mid term tests/part time work/eachother ?!

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it very difficult to arrange these interviews/information sessions around mid term tests/part time work/eachother ?!

I've been quite lucky with how my presentation and interview have worked out timing-wise. I'm actually glad now I've just got the one interview as shít just got real on my pg dip! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Jays, no one seems to be having much look with consulting applications!

Consulting is incredibly competitive. Few spots available and along with Corporate Finance / Transaction Services (Also very few spaces) they're seen as the "glamour" departments. KPMG for example are only taking 18 on for Consulting while they're looking for 140 (I think) in Audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xiongnu

Oh man, I was hoping Deloitte and PwC were just a bit slower than KPMG and EY.
    I've got interviews for KPMG and EY but the other two haven't contacted me yet :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tralalalala

Anyone know anything about the Mazars recruitment process? I have an interview next week for consultancy but am living in the UK, so have had no opportunity to attend any of their events or talk to anyone about them. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Email sent from kpmg, unsuccesrful consulting!

bs2014 wrote: »
    Email sent from kpmg, unsuccesrful consulting!

Got my rejection email 5 mins ago, at least I can rule KPMG out now

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freddo123

Just want to wish everyone the best of luck in milkrounds and also say good luck to those with interviews coming up. This was me last year and I was unsuccessful with the Big 4 and a few others in the Top 10 I applied too. Please remember, there will be so many smaller firms that will start interviewing after Christmas and even up until September/October of next year. So, don't give up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mgk2004

Got offered Deloitte, the only application I got in so happy days,, interview went very smoothly. got back to me about an hour after with an offer.. really nice people, cant wait to start :-) if you get an interview they really want to hire you, so just be yourself, show real motivation for the position that's what they ultimately want to see.. so best a luck to everyone guys :-)

mgk2004 wrote: »
    If you get an interview they really want to hire you, so just be yourself, show real motivation for the position that's what they ultimately want to see.. so best a luck to everyone guys :-)

Getting the interview is the massive obstacle though, It sounds like you're saying that once you get the interview show up be motivated and positive that you've a got a high chance of getting an offer

Which is good for the big 4 and the rest as it narrows down the amount of people they've to interview, but bad for me and other applicants as they don't get to influence or have an impact on their chances of a job offer any further than their application.

Anyone can just show up motivated and positive its quite easy to do
    What was the case study like ? handy ?

Getting the interview is the massive obstacle though, It sounds like you're saying that once you get the interview show up be motivated and positive that you've a got a high chance of getting an offer

Which is good for the big 4 and the rest as it narrows down the amount of people they've to interview, but bad for me and other applicants as they don't get to influence or have an impact on their chances of a job offer any further than their application.

Anyone can just show up motivated and positive its quite easy to do
    What was the case study like ? handy ?

no case study man, interview was around the hour mark, consisted of a good chat starting off, then some competency based questions, then I asked about 3 questions, which they loved talking about, seemed liked at the end they were honestly trying to sell me the position, very nice people though, wont look based Deloitte now, cant wait to start there.

Listen dude there seems to be a crazy amount of jobs of there besides big 4, the partner that interviewed me said he started in a small practice in Dublin, my sisters best friend is tax director in kpmg she started small practice too,, but I really hope you get an interview you sound like you deserve one.. best a luck man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 easylad

no case study man, interview was around the hour mark, consisted of a good chat starting off, then some competency based questions, then I asked about 3 questions, which they loved talking about, seemed liked at the end they were honestly trying to sell me the position, very nice people though, wont look based Deloitte now, cant wait to start there.

Listen dude there seems to be a crazy amount of jobs of there besides big 4, the partner that interviewed me said he started in a small practice in Dublin, my sisters best friend is tax director in kpmg she started small practice too,, but I really hope you get an interview you sound like you deserve one.. best a luck man...

Thanks mate for that. I have an interview at Deloitte as well.. is the competency based questions easy enough? Hopefully the STAR approach should work. Any particular competency that they focused on ?

easylad wrote: »
    Thanks mate for that. I have an interview at Deloitte as well.. is the competency based questions easy enough? Hopefully the STAR approach should work. Any particular competency that they focused on ?

example of when you achieved something above all expectations, how you manage multi-task situation, ever make a mistake and how did you deal with it, talk about the mistake then say what you learn from it obviously, and above all else be solid on why you want to work there, and what's expected of you..

Man I got so drunk last night I cant remember much else, if I think of any good advice later il pm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cr93

First off congrats! :) i'd say it feels like a weights been lifted off your shoulders!
    I have an interview with Deloitte the monday after next, just wondering if you dont mind me asking, what kind of commercial awareness questions did they asked you? :rolleyes:

cr93 wrote: »
    First off congrats! :) i'd say it feels like a weights been lifted off your shoulders!
    I have an interview with Deloitte the monday after next, just wondering if you dont mind me asking, what kind of commercial awareness questions did they asked you? :rolleyes:

none actually man, and I was well prepared for that, we had a chat about my application question about a business story that impressed you, had a good answer for that one we talked about it at length.

Mind, you could easy get asked about one now though, think they usually do, maybe know the budget inside out? some good videos on Deloitte.ie regards it. Best a luck man..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eireann91

So, successful peeps - What backgrounds do those who have been called for interview or got an offer? Like, have ye done business in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 easylad

example of when you achieved something above all expectations, how you manage multi-task situation, ever make a mistake and how did you deal with it, talk about the mistake then say what you learn from it obviously, and above all else be solid on why you want to work there, and what's expected of you..

Man I got so drunk last night I cant remember much else, if I think of any good advice later il pm you.

Haha cheers man. U deserve it! I have a storm of interviews coming up next week.. hopefully it will be fine. Thanks a lot anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cr93

Eireann91 wrote: »
    So, successful peeps - What backgrounds do those who have been called for interview or got an offer? Like, have ye done business in college?

I'm doing Accounting and Finance :)

The silence re: inteviews has been deafening in my college group. The most interviews anyone has got is one, and many people have got none.

2.1 degrees and excellent LCs all round. Many have relevant work experience. It's strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

just so you all know. Audit is absolutely atrocious. I would rather be a milkman. Pay is not that great either.

Unfortunately its to late to become a milkman :(

• Advertisement

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Consulting is incredibly competitive. Few spots available and along with Corporate Finance / Transaction Services (Also very few spaces) they're seen as the "glamour" departments. KPMG for example are only taking 18 on for Consulting while they're looking for 140 (I think) in Audit.

Interesting. :)

How do you know how many places are available for each, do you mind me asking? Do you know how many spots are available in KPMG for tax?

Advertisement