Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roubles - Where to get them without waiting too long

Options
  • 07-09-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am off to moscow on the 26th of september and am looking to get my hands on some roubles without waiting too long. i could not pre-order it with my bank due to a delay in being paid so is there anywhere in Dublin that I can get my hands on some roubles - there and then or what faster options do I have?

Any help is appreciated

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Have you tried your local Credit Union? They can pre-order some currencies or may already some for sale right now over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Have you tried your local Credit Union? They can pre-order some currencies or may already some for sale right now over the counter.

My local bank in Gorey said it would take two weeks at least. As for the local credit union there - ill give them a ring :) . Is there a faster wait time for ordering such currency in Dublin or is there any places up there that would have Roubles stocked may I ask?

My local bank in Gorey said it would take two weeks at least. As for the local credit union there - ill give them a ring :) . Is there a faster wait time for ordering such currency in Dublin or is there any places up there that would have Roubles stocked may I ask?

Maybe the guys over in the Dublin forum could assist you with localised info. What part of Dublin are you enquiring about?
    You could aways buy some at the airport en route and/or when you arrive in Moscow though ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Maybe the guys over in the Dublin forum could assist you with localised info. What part of Dublin are you enquiring about?
    You could aways buy some at the airport en route and/or when you arrive in Moscow though ;)

Cheers - was thinking of ringing/trying the banks in the centre of Dublin (O'Connell Street) on Monday to see if they have any in stock and then go from there. I was originally considering using my visa debit card in Domodedovo Airport but I have heard that there can be issues with ATM withdrawals there. So I'm looking for the safe option so to speak :P

Hi there warlikedave,

I've moved your thread from our Travel forum over into the Dublin City forum where it could be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

There's a foreign exchange office on the corner of Henry and O'Connell Street that might be able to help you out. They were able to sort me for Hungarian Forint last year when none of the banks could. I can't remember the name of the biz unfortunately.

emilyjmc wrote: »
    There's a foreign exchange office on the corner of Henry and O'Connell Street that might be able to help you out. They were able to sort me for Hungarian Forint last year when none of the banks could. I can't remember the name of the biz unfortunately.

Cheers - If ye can remember the name later on please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Go to BOI college green. I was going to china and was told it would take 2 weeks to get Chinese rmb. BOI college green had it.

Just go to dublin and go to every BOI in the city and you will probably find a bank that has it. Otherwise bring EUR and I imagine you will find a bank that will change it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just take it out of any ATM over there

It's no different to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

A currency exchange place at the junction of O'Connell St and O'Connell bridge had some 4 weeks ago. I didn't have to order them in advance - just walked in and got them. It's a few doors up from Ulster Bank. They also had roubles in 2 currency exchange places in Frankfurt airport but the exchange rate was really bad. As others have said, one of the banks in the College Green area should be able to sort you out. I had no problems with ATMs in Moscow but it was nice to have €100 worth of roubles going over there in case there were any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Fexco office on Westmoreland Street usually has odder currencies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have 600 roubles you can have if you can pick them up. You won't go mad on that of course, but they are no use to me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I was always under the impression you couldnt buy Russian Roubles outside of Russia!

Bring Dollars if your stuck. or use your ATM card over there

Cheers for all the help folks. Ill make a few phone calls to those places tomorrow so :)

spurious wrote: »
    I have 600 roubles you can have if you can pick them up. You won't go mad on that of course, but they are no use to me.

Cheers for that offer anyways mate - its cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I've been to Russia fair few times and as others have mentioned you can use their ATMS no bother. I only had a simple visa debit card myself at the time and I never had any issues in any city there. In my case I think I just got charged a flat rate for each withdrawal I made (a few euro i think?)

I can understand the comfort of having some rubles on hand before you go. I personally went to the BOI on college green. The exchange rate prob wasn't the best but its fine for a bit of cash to start you off when you're over there.

Hope this helps.

I've been to Russia fair few times and as others have mentioned you can use their ATMS no bother. I only had a simple visa debit card myself at the time and I never had any issues in any city there. In my case I think I just got charged a flat rate for each withdrawal I made (a few euro i think?)

I can understand the comfort of having some rubles on hand before you go. I personally went to the BOI on college green. The exchange rate prob wasn't the best but its fine for a bit of cash to start you off when you're over there.

Hope this helps.
    Just out of curiousity - how did you find the people and the culture over there? :)

Cheers for the help folks - just ordered through UB in Dublin and should have it in a couple of days :) A Lot faster in the big smoke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MRG77

For anyone reading this in Northern Ireland or close to it, if you go into the post office and order your Russian Roubles before 2pm they will have them the next day for you. So I was told in the Post Office in Armagh city today.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Just out of curiousity - how did you find the people and the culture over there? :)

Without trying boring you to death with a long spiel, the first thing you will probably notice is how rude and off-standish Russians can be in public or on the street. But once you actually get to know them on a personal level, I find that they can be some of the most generous and genuine people you will meet.

I personally have plenty of fond memories of my time there. So hopefully you will enjoy your time in Moscow! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you ever get invited to a Russian's home, you will not be able to walk after the amount of food they will feed you with - and that's before they start on the drink.

Well worth the effort to get through the initial apparent standoffishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

MYOB wrote: »
    The Fexco office on Westmoreland Street usually has odder currencies.

Yep, managed to pick up some Malaysian currency in there one day, no waiting or anything.

Weird thing that they doin't accept Debit/Credit Cards though :confused:

Looks like I am in for quite an experience in Moscow when I go :)

Advertisement