Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast problem

• 07-09-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

HI, just looking for some help.
    I managed to get a chromecast from a family member coming back from the states. However am having difficulty connecting it to the wireless network in my house - through eircom.
    Has anyone set this up with the normal zxyel modem from eircom with any issues?

Thansk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

Just a note on this - I did manage to get the chromecast to work by using my phone as a wifi hotspot and running it through that but this is not what i want really - as i dont want to use the phone as a hotspot all the time for it. I cant find any setting on eircoms zyxel router to change to sort out this problem. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

i have the same issue, the chromecast will connect to the network but it cant connect to the internet.
    I spent 4/5 hours looking at this, changing settings on the zyxel router etc. but nothing worked.

I suspect that the stock eircom zyxel router doesnt support multicasting or another feature that the chromecast needs.

I was beginning to think it was just me going mad but yeah i think you're right - the zxytel router doesnt seem to allow it. I might have to change it for something else - really wanted that to work. Almost not worth changing modem though as device was so cheap to begin with. Anyway if you do manage to get it working let me know and I will update if i can sort it too. I'm sure more people will being to notice this issue as people start to get them more - especially if google do decide to introduce them here. Using phone as a hotspot does work if your're stuck.
    Thanks for update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

How old is your Zyxel router? I was having major hassle with the router I got from eircom a couple of years ago (streaming media around the house)

I eventually got on to them and they told me there is a new version of the router. They couriered a new router out to me and it is working perfectly for streaming video.

I am guessing the Zyxel router you have is Navy, one antenna, model number P-660 or something similar. If this is the case ring Eircom and ask for a new one. It's free!

Thanks Nedd! - Yes its the old navy one with one aerial - 660 or soemthing like that. I will get on to them. Have you tried the chromecast with the newer one?

• Advertisement

Ya i was on to them twice, first guy got me to change some settings on the router but it didnt work.
    Second guy is sending us out the newer router so will report back with results, hopefully get it by friday.

Thanks - will be interested to see if this works.
    If it does ill be on to Eircom to try get them to send out a new router.
    Any idea of the model of that router?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi,

I don't have a Chromecast but I do have a Google TV box with CheapCast installed. This replicates the functionality of Chromecast.

That works, also streaming from my phone to TV, from my laptop to Phone, from my NAS to TV and Phone all work, none of which was working on the old router.

I was talking to one of the Technical Support guys and he said there was a known issue with the old router so he sent me a new one. 2 Weeks later eircom announced Fiber and they brought out a newer version of the router. I rang them again and asked for the new one and they sent it to me no questions asked.

If they do give you hassle about getting the new router just drop into conversation that you will probably cancel your contract in that case. That will make them change their mind!

Flynnlives -any update on that router? wondering does the chromecast work with it?

Just to update - i managed to get the eircom netopia modem (parents had changed to another provider so i took theirs). This worked first time and the chromecast works perfect now with the default settings. Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Hi lads.............

I have the Horizon box from UPC and wifi built in, cannot get my Chromecast to see the wifi?, anyone see this one before?...

Would appreciate any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Hi lads.............

I have the Horizon box from UPC and wifi built in, cannot get my Chromecast to see the wifi?, anyone see this one before?...

I can get the Chrome cast to see the Wi-Fi, connect to it, but it then says there is a problem with the password, which of course is correct!
    as someone says above- I will try to see if it works with the phone as hot spot, just so I can narrow down the causes!

i got it working with the newer router eircom sent out.

Would be interested to hear about these upc issues as the parents now want a chromecast to watch netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hey guys I got mine yesterday and if I'm to be completely honest I'm totally underwhelmed and disappointed.
    I know I should have read the recent reviews and opinions but one of my buddys was in the states and I rushed in.
    I read early reviews where there was a work around so you could cast local images and videos off your device.
    I set mine up last night and connected my phone and all I could do was play a YouTube video. Big whoop di do!
    I don't watch Netflix and I tried to cast a Web page from my chrome browser and found out that I can only do that from my laptop. Does this gadget have any practical uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Hi lads.............

Exact same problem here on UPC Horizon, is there something obvious I might be doing wrong?

Hi lads.............

yes, it does work with the UPC horizon box.
    but it would not work for me until I updated the software on the chromecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 futzio

I can't get chromecast to work with my UPC Horizon Wifi. Tried it with several other wifi's - worked all the time. Any hints?

futzio wrote: »
    I can't get chromecast to work with my UPC Horizon Wifi. Tried it with several other wifi's - worked all the time. Any hints?

As i said, it didn't work for me initially.
    If you can connect using wi-fi elsewhere, do that,
    then update the software on the chromecast - it should automatically try to update itself.
    Then return to your UPC horizon box wi-fi.

I think this is the update you need
    http://androidcommunity.com/google-rolls-out-chromecast-and-cast-sdk-updates-20130821/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

flynnlives wrote: »
    i got it working with the newer router eircom sent out.

Would be interested to hear about these upc issues as the parents now want a chromecast to watch netflix.

Can I ask is this the D100 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crowebar2

Guys,

I had the same problem with my Chromecast and UPC's Horizon. Simple work around though. Don't use a phone or tablet to set up initial connection to the Chromecast, you need to use a LAPTOP, PC or MAC as this somehow fools your router.

Worked fine for me after a couple of hours of searching online for work around.

Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

Hi guys, I have the same UPC Horizon problem. I have updated the software on the Chromecast which didn't work. I have tried to set it up on my phone but I am told the password is incorrect. I then tried to set it up on my laptop but it couldn't see my router, I inputted the details manually but it still wouldn't connect for me.

Is it an encryption problem of some sort, the router security settings are WPA2 psk. I can see my neighbours routers which are all just WPA, not sure if this is a factor.

Not really sure what else to try, have resetted the device also but still no luck.

Any advice is really appreciated, alternatively, anyone looking to buy a Chromecast!? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

'''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Hi,

I got a Chromecast at Christmas there and I was wrecking my head with the old P660 router until I found this thread.

I've requested a new router from Eircom and the agent said he would order it for me there and then. Is it a Netopia that's the latest from Eircom, did the chromecast work with the new router out of the box? Did it take long for the router to be delivered?

Thanks

Gickyk wrote: »
    Can I ask is this the D100 model?

I recieved the "Eircom D1000" (Zyxel) today after having explained that I could not connect the chromecast and I'm experiencing the same error - "ChromecastXXXX can't find the eircomxxxxx wi-fi network"

Has anyone been able to connect with this router?

Update: Did a channel change and It's working now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roryc96

what's a channel change? i have the same router, my chromecast was updated recently on another network and mine won't work

roryc96 wrote: »
    what's a channel change? i have the same router, my chromecast was updated recently on another network and mine won't work

Check what channel your router is operating on, mine was originally on channel 1 but I had to change it to channel 11 before the chromecast was able to connect to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roryc96

i tired channels 1-13 and still no luck, is there anything else you changed to connect your chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

In case this is useful to anybody here, I eventually got my chromecast to connect to a UPC Horizon wifi box. The main problem was I'd renamed the SSID of the router to something other than UPC.... And the new SSID contained spaces and non alpha numeric passwords. When I changed the SSID to just a simple alpha string, I was able to connect it fine.

2 hours wrestling with wifi, not an ideal first user experience!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

how close is the router,try using longer cable to get it out from behind tv

http://www.tested.com/tech/set-top-boxes/457036-testing-google-chromecast/

try putting password in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 rob.ob

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting it to connect. I saw the bit about the update, so I set it up connected to my phone as a hotspot, it did the update, but I still can't see my Horizon WiFi. I had a look around the settings on Horizon, saw that multicast was disabled by default, so I enabled that, nothing. Restarted by UPC box to be sure, nothing.

Anybody any ideas, am I missing a step? Do I need to to factory reset the chromecast and start again?

Advertisement