Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you remember your last drink ?

• 07-09-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Mine was the first weekend in September 2003.
    I was in The Trinity Rooms Limerick.
    Michael Jackson Off The Wall was playing in my background.
    I seen my reflection, realised that I was not living, after a binge of 3 month's, I never had a drink since.

I heard a guy once say if you can't remember your last drink, you haven't had it yet....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The last drink I remember having was a large vodka & coke after being out all morning, Going home for a sleep and waking up in my sisters house I went back out and had above and just wasn't enjoying it, Next day jan 13th 2009 I finished up and having been back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

December 31 2010. New Year's Eve, thinking there more to life than this. I was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

New Years Eve 2004.

I went and bought about a dozen or so different bottles of lager and stayed in with the OH and friends. I had read Allen Carrs book and I knew that this was going to be my farewell drink so I mixed up the lagers purposely knowing that I wasn't going to enjoy it as I was that fed up with all the sh!t by then.

Didn't enjoy my last drink, just did it kind of ceremoniously to say goodbye. Woke up the next morning with a thick head for the last time ever (apart from the odd sinus trouble).

Waved goodbye to drinking, hideous thoughts and 2004 all in one go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Would have been a Chardonay.. Sunday 02nd of September 2012.. Didn't do anything spectacularly bad that night.. but something happened when I woke up the next morning.. I had a moment of clarity like never before..

Something had changed in me and I knew I never wanted to drink again.. I can't explain it.. but I feel I was spared.. alcoholism runs in my family you see.. and like night follows day, I have no doubt that I was heading for a dark place if I didn't knock it on the head.

5th of Oct 2011. Mine strangely enough was the same drink as I drank the first time I got drunk, a pint of Bulmers. I was in one of the pubs I would have frequented during the week and I was in a bad way. My throat and stomach were in a very bad condition every gulp actually caused pain but I kept doing it. MY mate that was out with me talked to me and his dad was in AA so he told me how long he'd been sober, he or anyone knew nothing about the actually level of drinking I was doing but I told him that night. At that stage all I was doing was drinking at home showing my face out now and again, I had put on a load of weight too. We both agreed I needed to at least give it a rest for a while. I remember crying on the walk on the way home with familiar thoughts of suicide very much there. I didn't attempt anything and I thank god to this day I didn't.

I woke up the next day in pain and spitting up blood, went down to St Michaels with my dad and sitting there waiting to be seen I had that moment of clarity. Just saying there has to be more to life then how I'd been living. I truly believed that I would be dead within a few years anyway from drink so up until that point I didn't really care at all about what I was doing to myself. I called in sick to work the rest of the week and somehow stayed sober those few days. I went to a meeting on the Monday and haven't looked back.

Nearly 2 years later 6 stone lighter, driving(never drove before I gave up), healthy, fit, in a better job, with real friends, closer to my family and a great girlfriend - life has never been as good. I do have to constantly remind myself of how dark a place I was in 2 years ago otherwise I'll be back on that bar stool pretty quickly. For anyone just starting just remember one thing to quote Trainspotting. Choose life

• Advertisement
Advertisement