Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA -- General Discussion, Visa's etc.

Options
  • 07-09-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I have just come back from my 3 month long stint in the US ( J-1 ) and to say i am depressed after returning, would be an understatement :( - I was in Florida, so the weather was amazing pretty much all the time, and it was always hot, which i personally loved. I landed in Dublin today to a cold, wet and miserable country, pretty much how i left it.

After being over there several times over the past few years, and finally having lived there for 3 months, i can say that i am suited to the American way of life, i love it.

7/11's , the fact that almost everything opens 24/7 , great choice of food when eating out, the abundance of things to do, friendliness of people ( people going out of there way to help you ), cheapness of cars, cost of living is a lot less compared to home.

I am a second year Computer Science student at DIT - i do have an extensive background in IT, i hold a NFQ Level 6 cert. in IT, but as of yet, no formal BSc

Bottom line: I want to go back to live, and i want to do it ASAP - the Visa part is where it gets complicated:

> I know i can get a H1-B ( Which are all out for this year, hard luck getting anyway )

> J-1 One year graduate Visa - I have not finished my course yet

>Marry a US girl - Not possible at the moment, as i dont know any!

>Family sponsorship: None of my family that i am aware of reside in the USA

> Green Card, : Diversity Visa, which is a lottery based system so all depends on odds

Anything i have left out?

I am only doing the degree to have that little piece of paper after it all, i already know my stuff, just a lot of place require the degree.
    If the opportunity presented itself, i would be moving back over ASAP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The best thing is to wait, finish your degree and get the graduate visa. I know it's not very appealing right now but it's the easiest way to do it, also the best way to set yourself up for a job over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The lottery has pretty good odds as far as i know.

Isnt it something like 50/50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The lottery has pretty good odds as far as i know.

Isnt it something like 50/50?

Are you kidding me? There were about 60 greencards won in Ireland this year, from thousands of applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Oh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If you can get a scholarship (or have money saved), F1 student visa? Fairly easy to get if the financial aspect is covered, you can usually do a year of OPT (work in a related field) after, and that can then lead to a work visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I was wondering did I post this myself. I am the same having come back from Daytona. Had a ball over there. I was dreading the doom and gloom of coming back here. At least over there you can avoid the Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

McSween wrote: »
    I was wondering did I post this myself. I am the same having come back from Daytona. Had a ball over there. I was dreading the doom and gloom of coming back here. At least over there you can avoid the Irish media.

Totally know how you feel, wasn't even home a few hours, and ended up in a conversation with an Irish woman who had a horrible outlook on everything, brought my mood right down again :/

Americans just have a better outlook on life IMO - i met with people over there on both ends of the scale, Americans who where on minimum wage, but where quite content with there life and had a positive outlook, and also Americans who where well off, but did not gloat, they where very grateful for it, and knew how lucky they where.

Ahh i need to get back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Agree with you. I worked in a golf course and except for one ignorant prick I reckon 90% of the players were a pleasure to deal with.

I thought i was possible I could hate the whole idea of America being there for work instead if holidays but my view has risen. A great country and if you work hard youll enjoy it there

McSween wrote: »
    Agree with you. I worked in a golf course and except for one ignorant prick I reckon 90% of the players were a pleasure to deal with.

I thought i was possible I could hate the whole idea of America being there for work instead if holidays but my view has risen. A great country and if you work hard youll enjoy it there

Absolutely, and thats the thing, everyone wants to work, and work hard, they reap the rewards in the end. I wish the visa system was easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

.... also Americans who where well off, but did not gloat, they where very grateful for it, and knew how lucky they where.

That is so true. I live a few miles away from Walmart HQ, so we have some of the richest non-celebs in the USA in the local area. They are all wonderful (though some are known drunks, like the Walmart lady who donated a huge new art museum, Crystal Bridges. When my husband was little, he'd play baseball in the field behind Sam Walton's house (founder of Walmart) and Sam would throw back the stray baseballs.

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    That is so true. I live a few miles away from Walmart HQ, so we have some of the richest non-celebs in the USA in the local area. They are all wonderful (though some are known drunks, like the Walmart lady who donated a huge new art museum, Crystal Bridges. When my husband was little, he'd play baseball in the field behind Sam Walton's house (founder of Walmart) and Sam would throw back the stray baseballs.

That's awesome. You just wouldn't here stories like that here in Ireland. It really is the land of opportunity!

Advertisement