Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could i get this for my LC

• 07-09-2013 11:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Hey the course im doing in college is around 230 points so i say it will be around 250 points next year. I Need 2 Cs in higher level subjects and 4 DS in ordinary level subjects.
    There are what im doing

Maths O
    English O
    Irish O
    History O
    Biology H
    Geography H
    Business H

any advice or tips would also be appreciated thanks.:):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Any idea of your predicted grades? A D3 / 37.5% in any higher subjects will yield 45 points a pop, so that's 135. Then you've got another 115 split over three ordinary subjects, so three B2s in ordinary would be ideal. Of course that's only one potential split!

It's very hard to say anything without knowing your ability in each subject if you wanna shed a bit of light on that, it could be the case that you'll get three C1s at higher, that's 210 and then you're practically guaranteed your 250 if you average a D1 on the ordinary papers! I'm sure you'll be fine, the fact that you're asking is more than enough to show you want it. Work and there's nothing to stop you getting well above and beyond what you want. Don't work towards what you think you need work toward your absolute upper limit. It gives you the most options. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 GreenLamp

GrezzC wrote: »
    Any idea of your predicted grades? A D3 / 37.5% in any higher subjects will yield 45 points a pop, so that's 135. Then you've got another 115 split over three ordinary subjects, so three B2s in ordinary would be ideal. Of course that's only one potential split!

It's very hard to say anything without knowing your ability in each subject if you wanna shed a bit of light on that, it could be the case that you'll get three C1s at higher, that's 210 and then you're practically guaranteed your 250 if you average a D1 on the ordinary papers! I'm sure you'll be fine, the fact that you're asking is more than enough to show you want it. Work and there's nothing to stop you getting well above and beyond what you want. Don't work towards what you think you need work toward your absolute upper limit. It gives you the most options. :)

Thanks I'm quite good at maths geography hoping for A's in both.
    Business English I'm decent hoping for b/c biology ok. History and irish I'm dreadful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Put in your subjects at lcpoints.eu and it'll give you a stats-based prediction. Send me a PM if you need help figuring any of it out.

GreenLamp wrote: »
    Thanks I'm quite good at maths geography hoping for A's in both.
    Business English I'm decent hoping for b/c biology ok. History and irish I'm dreadful

If you're hoping for an A in ordinary mathematics I'd definitely suggest moving up to the higher paper this early in the year. The risk is greatly outweighed by the reward if you're an A student at ordinary.

Seconded - a D3 at Higher is worth more than an A1 at Ordinary, remember.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 GreenLamp

Hey guys. I know the d at higher is worth more than the a in ordinary in maths, but my fear I'd that I will fail higher maths. So I'd rather get the a in ordinary.
    Thanks

If you can consistently get an A in Ordinary and consider yourself quite good at it, you should be capable of Higher, with reasonable conviction that you won't fail. Only you know for sure what you're capable of, though.

yoho139 wrote: »
    If you can consistently get an A in Ordinary and consider yourself quite good at it, you should be capable of Higher, with reasonable conviction that you won't fail. Only you know for sure what you're capable of, though.

This, for sure. Don't do anything out of your comfort zone but I'd recommend looking at the higher papers. That was what made me move up. It's so much more daunting when your friends in higher just big it up due to their own difficulties.

Advertisement