Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when confronted by a pack of dogs?

• 08-09-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I was walking home today when 3 decent sized dogs, a beagle, greyhound and labrador, came over to me barking aggressively at me, I backed down but they continued to follow me while I was walking away, luckily I tripped up and it seemed to scare them and they ran off. However, it left me thinking, if I'm ever in a situation like this again what should I do? I couldn't have defended myself against 3 dogs, and definitely couldn't have outran the greyhound.
    Also, can I report this anonymously? As I doubt they're feral, and judging by where I saw them I have a good guess who owns them, however, if I'm correct, they belong to a family who won't take too kindly to this and will likely cause damage to me or my property if they find out it was me, but I'd rather report it than these dogs do damage to someone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Never run, stand your ground, make yourself as big as possible, don't stare in their eyes, and back away slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Usually when I meet a dog barking at me I get on my hunkers(spelling?) and slowly put my hand out, palm down and say hello. Always works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You wouldn't outrun any dog, be it a chihuahua or a greyhound! Worst thing to do is run, they think it's a game of chase and follow you. The best thing to do is stand still and keep your hands down low, if you put your hands above your head they may think you have something and jump on you.

Where were the owners when all this was happening? You say you know them, but if they weren't under control the owners can be prosecuted so you can absolutely report them to your local county council dog warden. They won't say who reported them but they may go and investigate. If they're out all the time it might be handy to continue reporting them until the dog warden comes out and catches them in action, so to speak. He may seize them if they are loose dogs and not under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Blogger50 wrote: »
    Usually when I meet a dog barking at me I get on my hunkers(spelling?) and slowly put my hand out, palm down and say hello. Always works!

I'd do something similar talk nice to them if they're pets they will likely back down as they don't see you as a threat. Either that or just ignore them and walk right past. Easier said than done either way only you know what level of agression they're at, best not to run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Get your parents to go over to the owners & tell them to keep them away from you as you are nervous around dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

<snip>

Please be aware that advocating any cruelty or violence in this forum is not allowed.
    Do not reply to this edit on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I used to work as a postman & found that ignoring them works.Dont even look at them & keep walking.If they are being very aggressive I walk backwards never taking my eyes off them but not making direct eye contact.
    Only got bitten once on the job!
    You could report it to your nearest dog pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Blogger50 wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend that unless you're sure of the dog's mood; you could just be putting your face at optimum biting level.

Fathead's right; just ignore them and keep walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

contact the local dog warden, if the dogs are roaming freely they will pick them up and take them to the pound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    you could just be putting your face at optimum biting level.

haha shortly after I started working with dogs I had to deal with 2 very nervous dogs (dog and bitch). The way they did it was she'd bark and he'd lunge at whatever she was nervous of. I had to get them both onto leads and I couldn't get next or near them. It took me nearly half an hour of slooooooooow movements to get into their run and I had the bright idea "I know, I'll get onto my hunkers so they know I'm not a danger and sit really still and let them approach me."

Of course the dog came up for a sniff of my face and as he poked at my face with his nose, it dawned on me I had put myself into a very stupid and dangerous position (large breed dogs too). I was sitting there afraid to move in case it gave him a fright, and afraid not to move in case the bitch barked and he reacted. Honestly the most stupid thing I've ever done! Thankfully they were fine and it worked that time but I learned a huge lesson. Never put your face close to a dog when you don't know if they will bite you or not. You'd think I'd have known that already wouldn't you. :rolleyes:

I'd ignore too I think. Although as you can see from the above story you might be best off not listening to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Juniexd

I was walking home today when 3 decent sized dogs, a beagle, greyhound and labrador, came over to me barking aggressively at me, I backed down but they continued to follow me while I was walking away, luckily I tripped up and it seemed to scare them and they ran off. However, it left me thinking, if I'm ever in a situation like this again what should I do? I couldn't have defended myself against 3 dogs, and definitely couldn't have outran the greyhound.
    Also, can I report this anonymously? As I doubt they're feral, and judging by where I saw them I have a good guess who owns them, however, if I'm correct, they belong to a family who won't take too kindly to this and will likely cause damage to me or my property if they find out it was me, but I'd rather report it than these dogs do damage to someone.

Don't make eye contact,slowly turn around and walk away. If you run they will chase you! It's a predatory instinct to catch whatever is getting away from them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think it's a good idea to turn your back on a dog in this situation. They are, in my experience at least, far more likely to have a go when you turn and walk away, and less likely to attack you if you're facing them.
    It would be safer to turn your body so that you are side-on to the dog with torso facing forward, watching them out of the corner of your eye. Don't stare, but quick glances are okay, avoiding looking straight into the dog's eyes. Keep the arms still, and try not to move, as movement tends to cause a spike in the dog's level of aggression.
    When the dogs have calmed down a bit, which may take time, you can slowly back away, always keeping your back furthest away from the dogs, until you're in a position to get a barrier between you and them, or until you've moved out of what they see as their territory, in which case they'll often eventually walk away themselves.
    Playing for time safely like this also increases the chances that the owner will come on scene and get their dogs under control.
    The dog warden should be alerted especially for repeat offenders, and they will not reveal your identity. They do not necessarily have to seize the dogs at all, and probably won't. The first line is usually to issue a fixed penalty notice to the owner.

Edited to add: I woudn't be inclined to speak to dogs in this scenario either, as it can really inflame them too. I have a colleague who insists on making small-talk with baying dogs we meet in work. Almost without exception, their reaction intensifies. Drives me mad when he does it! I say nowt to them, they always calm down more quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I've had this happened to me three times in the last few months. Two different sets of dogs and it scared the hell out of me the first time. I was walking Lexi near the inlaws house around 7am one Saturday morning in the back arse of Mayo. Two massive dogs came at me snarling barking etc.

I didn't know what to do so shouted at them to get in home which they didst then I stupidly tried to close the gate so they wouldn't get killed on the road but they didn't like that! I slowly walked backwards until they fecked off home. Poor Lexi was standing behind me crying. Really shook me TBH, not used to dogs like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think angry thoughts, of something that really pissed you off recently. Then stamp your foot, and yell "HOME!".

Although I have mostly overcome my fear of dogs (I used to freeze), I am wary of some of the larger ones, and find that some of them will "bully" you if they smell fear, but ignore you if they don't. And if you're thinking very angry thoughts, you won't be thinking of fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

the_syco wrote: »
    Think angry thoughts, of something that really pissed you off recently. Then stamp your foot, and yell "HOME!".

Although I have mostly overcome my fear of dogs (I used to freeze), I am wary of some of the larger ones, and find that some of them will "bully" you if they smell fear, but ignore you if they don't. And if you're thinking very angry thoughts, you won't be thinking of fear.

Dogs don't 'bully'. They don't have the capability for that, as much as we try to anthropomorphise what we think they are doing. They can be wilful, and stubborn and completely untrained and can do what they want to do as opposed to what you want them to do. Shouting 'Home' to them means nothing if they don't know what home means! (although it might make you feel better.) If they're jumping about they might know what 'get down' means? Or 'Bold' or 'bad dog'. The shout itself may work if they aren't used to it, but I find with dogs that are out of control, the owners are the roary shouty type anyway and it doesn't have any effect.

If you show an emotion they can pick up on that, they know when you're sad/angry/happy/stressed etc but people tend to get panicky when they're fearful and run/scream/throw their hands in the air and this can cause the dog to react accordingly, ie jump and run after them. Depending on the dog, showing anger may trigger a bit of fear aggression and could lead to the dog snapping. Best to just back away slowly and quietly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

If you know where the dogs are and you knos you have to pass them. Just buy a few dog treats and you will soon distract their agression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I have been attacked by some "packs" before, ignore them unless they go for you, then shout at them, and if that doesnt work give the smallest one <snip>... on my job I always wore safety boots so they'd get the message. But only if you are in danger and they are trying to/actually biting you, otherwise its a bit cruel. As a last resort.

Mod note: advocating any form of cruelty or violence against animals is against the forum charter. Do not post in such a manner again here.
    Do not reply to this edit on-thread,
    Thanks,
    DBB

I have been attacked by some "packs" before, ignore them unless they go for you, then shout at them, and if that doesnt work give the smallest one <snip>... on my job I always wore safety boots so they'd get the message. But only if you are in danger and they are trying to/actually biting you, otherwise its a bit cruel. As a last resort.

Or get down on all fours and start barking like a maniac..that should throw them off! Would probably psychologically scar them! Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Juniexd wrote: »
    Or get down on all fours and start barking like a maniac..that should throw them off! Would probably psychologically scar them! Haha!

The only thing getting scarred would be your face when they go for it! lol!

The only thing getting scarred would be your face when they go for it! lol!

Haha probably!

to quote Caesar Millan - "stay calm and assertive" that's all there is to it! Show them who's the pack leader! Stand your ground and you should be fine!

I heard recently of a man in Mexico who was attacked by a pack of Chihuahuas..poor guy! I feel awful though..laughing as I type this!

• Advertisement

Juniexd and Tramps like us,
    Please note that is is against the forum charter to advocate any form of violence or cruelty to a pet animal in this forum: it warrants an automatic ban. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one occasion.
    To other readers, please be aware that Cesar Milan's take on dog training has been refuted by scientific evidence, his advice is not safe to follow, as is evidenced by the amount of bites and scars the man himself has.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

DBB wrote: »
    Juniexd and Tramps like us,
    Please note that is is against the forum charter to advocate any form of violence or cruelty to a pet animal in this forum: it warrants an automatic ban. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one occasion.
    To other readers, please be aware that Cesar Milan's take on dog training has been refuted by scientific evidence, his advice is not safe to follow, as is evidenced by the amount of bites and scars the man himself has.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Wow,I am the last person that would advocate animal cruelty! I'm a vegan for Christ sake! I'm also in the middle of a foundation degree on canine behaviour and dog psychology from the university of Middlesex - so your post has actually offended me whether you meant it or not. I would never approve of animal cruelty

I suppose I should have been clearer when I said take Cesar's advice because I was being sarcastic.

DBB wrote: »
    Tramps like us,

Although I had decided to give the benefit of the doubt, Tramps like us has now been banned for two weeks due to the extremely rude PM sent to me in relation to this matter.
    Juniexd has been issued a warning for ignoring my instruction not to reply to my post on-thread.
    Again, do not reply to this post on-thread. It is against the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Juniexd wrote: »
    Wow,I am the last person that would advocate animal cruelty! I would never approve of animal cruelty

Just to clarify, I did not mean to imply that you were advocating animal cruelty, however, you did banter along with a poster who did. Be really careful about how others reading posts like this will interpret what you're saying! Sarcasm does not always translate well to the written word.:)
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement