Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scary rerto games

• 08-09-2013 1:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys I am lookin to by some scary games for NES, SNES or mega drive are their any good ones u can recomedn me thks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pit Fighter on the snes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

This will scare the life out of you.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/440332/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Clock Tower and sweet home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been meaning to check Sweet Home. Out looks great. Super Metroid can be creepy, but not all out scary. I also used to find Doom incredibly frightening when I was younger. More the Playstation version than the SNES though, because it's atmospheric soundtrack really added to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Monster Party

Everything goes ****ed up at 03:37. How this got by Nintendo I'll never know. I reckon the whole game was originally gory like this, they were asked to change it, but decided to leave this little bit in for the hell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭gavingaz

nuxxx wrote: »
    Pit Fighter on the snes

Wot is dat game I nevr herd of it sounds great

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Clock Tower and sweet home.

Wot consol are they on

deathrider wrote: »
    I've been meaning to check Sweet Home. Out looks great. Super Metroid can be creepy, but not all out scary. I also used to find Doom incredibly frightening when I was younger. More the Playstation version than the SNES though, because it's atmospheric soundtrack really added to it.

I really lik Super Mertod it'. A great game very atmosperie and dark wit loads of cool bosses.
    Doom was very good to and is now legenardyq among gamers

o1s1n wrote: »
    Monster Party

Everything goes ****ed up at 03:37. How this got by Nintendo I'll never know. I reckon the whole game was originally gory like this, they were asked to change it, but decided to leave this little bit in for the hell of it.

I lik creepy games especialy now that Halowen is cumin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

gavingaz wrote: »
    Wot is dat game I nevr herd of it sounds great

It's a dreadful dreadful game, out as an even worse port on the Megadrive, save your money.

It's hard to create fear with 8 or 16 bit graphics.
    Splatterhouse is fun tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wot consol are they on

SNES and NES respectively. You'll need a fan translation to play them since they are japanese only so emulate them or use an everdrive.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a dreadful dreadful game, out as an even worse port on the Megadrive, save your money.

It's hard to create fear with 8 or 16 bit graphics.
    Splatterhouse is fun tbh.

Never really liked splatterhouse. I'm amazed some one that hates SoR2 likes it because it such a limited beat em up in comparison. It's also not scary at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Legend of Dragoon scared the **** out of me

Just seeing the box art or hearing someone shout volcano brings back post traumatic flashbacks of that game :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SNES and NES respectively. You'll need a fan translation to play them since they are japanese only so emulate them or use an everdrive.

Never really liked splatterhouse. I'm amazed some one that hates SoR2 likes it because it such a limited beat em up in comparison. It's also not scary at all.

Bit of nostalgia the tbh, used to play it on occasion in the arcades back in 1990.
    It's not a game I play often.
    And I wasn't suggesting it was scary but it did have a horror theme.
    I don't think the horror genre really got started until the following gen, with a few fmv misfires on the early cdrom based systems, games like 7th Guest for example.
    That said, we must praise System Shock 2 and Alone in the Dark, the latter creating the template that Resident Evil ran with.

System Shock 1 is still an amazing game especially with the portable mod out now where you can change the controls to WASD and mouse look. It predated Quake so it's mouse look is all over the shop.

Personally, I love the Splatterhouse games. The second one scred the crap out of me when I was younger, and I've still got a lot of love for the series now.

When on the topic of horror. What are people's view on The Suffering series? I know it's not exactly retro (...yet) or the most poslished franchise, but it does have it's moments.

Thought they were pretty awful myself. Bland third person combat with an attempt at a mature storyline that ended up being utterly childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Silent Hill.

And if you didn't crap yourself the first time those headcrabs in Half-Life popped out, well you're dead inside (or well hard).

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Shiranui

Try Amaurote or Nemesis Warlock for C64 fot some scary 8-bit stuff..

Street Fighter 2 on the Spectrum is pretty scary!

The loading times on the Neo Geo CD was also terrifying, certainly made me fearful to try to play Samurai Shodown 3, unless I had a spare 30 minutes to wait for the character select screen to load (I may be exaggerating, slightly, a little bit).

• Advertisement

Thought they were pretty awful myself. Bland third person combat with an attempt at a mature storyline that ended up being utterly childish.

I really enjoyed them. I thought the first one was great fun for what it was. Replaying the second one at the moment, and I think it's ripe with a creepy atmosphere. The action side kinda takes away from it. I'm really enjoying it though.
    Silent Hill.

I reckon Silent Hill 2 is the scariest game ever.

If we ramble into ps2 territory the lists will be overwhelming, that console had some amazing horror titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This is an interesting thread. Retro games are by far creepier than intentionally scary games because there is that terrifying juxtaposition between innocence and spookiness. Sonic CD's cheat screen is a case in point, totally unexpected, out of place and wtf?!

that terrifying juxtaposition between innocence and spookiness.

Sounds like Atavans dating history...

Master of the Universe

This is an interesting thread. Retro games are by far creepier than intentionally scary games because there is that terrifying juxtaposition between innocence and spookiness. Sonic CD's cheat screen is a case in point, totally unexpected, out of place and wtf?!

Haunts you in your nightmares.

Sonic_cd_hidden_message_sonic_by_therealtailsdoll-d4ovrv0.png

Majyuuou / King of the Demons on the SNES is really creepy. Also the good and the bad endings are two of the most messed up things I've seen in a 16-bit game.

There was one or two screens in Jet Set Willy that were distinctly creepy,
    image.gif
    image.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

These games aren't scary at all. I want more creepy 8 bit games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Friday the 13th on the Amstrad.
    The screams frightened the crap out me when I was a child. I've only played it once though; the game only loaded the first time I played it - it never worked again!

Bloodshot/BattleFrenzy on the mega drive. Something about this game made it unsettling/depressing for me as a child. Probably a combination of the horrible box art/title screen, the droning sound effects, and the intro which shows someone undergoing some brain surgery.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If we ramble into ps2 territory the lists will be overwhelming, that console had some amazing horror titles.

Do you considr ps2 rerto

No, not yet.

Master of the Universe

'Retro' is a silly term anyway, never use it myself. Games are games!

Den mayb the name of dis section of boards shud be shutdown if rerto is a sily term

It's funy you shud say dat becase I have seen treads shut down here in d arcade and rerto section becase d games were not considrd 'rerto'. I must quote you on dat in future. 'games are games' aftr all.

Master of the Universe

It's funy you shud say dat becase I have seen treads shut down here in d arcade and rerto section becase d games were not considrd 'rerto'. I must quote you on dat in future. 'games are games' aftr all.

Oh really? Got any links to these closed threads? As I can't say I've seen that, ever.

• Advertisement

Oh really? Got any links to these closed threads? As I can't say I've seen that, ever.

I havn't d time to scroll threw all d forums but dis article is very funy in my opinion it sums tings up http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/26/i-had-it-all-then-i-blew-itsacked-boards-ie-moderator-tells-all/?wprptest2=0

Master of the Universe

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Just a bit of fun. I dont want to ofend anyone becase I want to be a modertor at sum stage.

Just a bit of fun. I dont want to ofend anyone becase I want to be a modertor at sum stage.

It ain't all it's cracked up to be. Wasting your time reading a reported post from someone that feels they have been personally insulted when a poster is mildly negative about their favourite console gets old fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

alien vs predator 2
    doom 3
    Stalker series

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of moving this whole thread to somewhere more appropriate, a dark hole where no one will ever see it again, like the Sega forum ;)

Advertisement