Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing - at home or in the uk

Options
  • 08-09-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi I am hoping to study to children's nursing after my leaving cert but since there are a handful of integrated general nursing with children's I am also researching courses in the uk and have the following questions -
    1) is a 4.5 yr degree here equal to the 3 yr degree in queens Belfast and why the different time length (are they the same fetac level ?)
    2)best college ? - ucc,dcu,ucd,tcd or qub
    3)quality of training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I have limited info but will answer what I can. The quality of training here is very high, the 4.5 year degree in UCD/TCD (the two I'm familiar with) are 4.5 as they are childrens and general 'integrated' meaning you leave dual qualified. So whatever area of nursing you land in you'll be paid a higher salary for being dual qualified, I'm not sure about fetac levels, but the TCD degree is a level 8 honours degree. I have heard that not many courses offer the honours degree in nursing, so that's a plus.

I have heard (again, all hearsay) that the degree in Ireland is better but nurses are allowed to practice more clinical skills in England so my plan is to complete my degree here and head over to England for some experience.

Advertisement