Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike theft

Options
  • 08-09-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Having witnessed what could only be described as a couple of little lawless scrotes attempting (and failing, thankfully) to steal a mountain bike at the back of the courthouse tonight, I wonder how serious the issue of bike theft is in our fair town?

Myself and my brother were going to confront the two young gentlemen until they scampered off on the girls' mountain bike they arrived on while shouting abuse at us. We decided to talk to the Guards that were nearby but a guy who was also present rang the Guards instead...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Its pretty rampant, dont know if theres a solution (maybe monitored locking areas?) I've had one stolen and many friends have. I'm always super paranoid about my new shiny road bike everytime I lock it up in town

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Good job you op for you for preventing them from stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I believe that back in the day many local guards would keep a log of serial numbers of bikes and would also routinely check serials on bikes as part of their rounds. It meant that if a bike was stolen and later recovered it could be returned to the rightful owner. It also acted as a deterrent to thieves since it would be harder to successfully offload a stolen bike since even dodgy buyers would be worried about the serial being checked by a guard. This doesn't happen anymore since the priority is now larger vehicles.
    many local authorities in the UK are starting to do a bike registration system for this very reason and it'll have to happen here too eventually. Bike crime in Dublin in particular is absolutely rampant and its only going to get worse here in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I think the only remedy at the moment is to park your bike in busy areas. There is a place to park bikes outside the roundy pub, which is always busy with people at all times of the day. always seems the safest place to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

What would people think of a supervised indoor bike park? Would you pay a couple of euro for the peace of mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Henry94 wrote: »
    What would people think of a supervised indoor bike park? Would you pay a couple of euro for the peace of mind?

I sure would and I think anyone who has paid hundreds for a bike and who take pride in their bike would happily pay a few euro to ensure their bikes are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I bought a bike a few years back and I had it locked up in the gated car park of my apartment block. I had it three days, before it was stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't get a shiny new bike if you intend locking it in a public place for an extended period of time, I have an old banger of a racer that nobody looks twice at.

Advertisement