Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Visa debit card not working in Italy!!

• 08-09-2013 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently in Italy for the next week and in my time here I have tried numerous shops and ATMs in Florence/Rome and my card will not withdraw money from ant ATM.

I have sent 3 messages to BOI through 365 online banking and I am still waiting for a reply after 6 days. I have emailed my own BOI branch who at first only wanted to increase my daily limit from 200 to 1000 euro. When I then said that I never asked for that her reply was that there is little she can do.

Now since 2 days ago I cannot even book anything online with my Visa Debit card. 

This is an absolute disgrace made worse by the awful customer service. 

I have another week in Italy and my cash is very limited. It is obvious that there is a technical error with the card given now that I cannot use it online. It is not a problem with the card itself as when I use it in the ATM I can put my pin in and request money, but then it says a technical error and to try again and releases the card.

I hope you'll reply as I have had enough of BOI at this point!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently in Italy for the next week and in my time here I have tried numerous shops and ATMs in Florence/Rome and my card will not withdraw money from ant ATM.

I have sent 3 messages to BOI through 365 online banking and I am still waiting for a reply after 6 days. I have emailed my own BOI branch who at first only wanted to increase my daily limit from 200 to 1000 euro. When I then said that I never asked for that her reply was that there is little she can do.

Now since 2 days ago I cannot even book anything online with my Visa Debit card. 

This is an absolute disgrace made worse by the awful customer service. 

I have another week in Italy and my cash is very limited. It is obvious that there is a technical error with the card given now that I cannot use it online. It is not a problem with the card itself as when I use it in the ATM I can put my pin in and request money, but then it says a technical error and to try again and releases the card.

I hope you'll reply as I have had enough of BOI at this point!

Had the same problem myself, if your card details have been amended, like changing the limit, it basically makes your card inactivate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Dia1988,

Thanks for your post.

Apologies you are having difficulties in contact us, we are currently experiencing an extremely high level of queries through our online service which we are working through to clear.

As we do not have account access here we are unable to check the status of your card for you. However once the limit on your card has been amended you will need to re-activate your card in order for this to work correctly.  A Visa Debit card can be activated at a Chip and Pin ATM worldwide where the Visa symbol is displayed.

Should you require any further assistance or if you wish to be informed of the locations of ATMs near you that have been approved by Visa for Visa Debit card activation, please contact our Banking team on 00353 1 4044000 where a representative will be more than happy to assist you.

If there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hi Paula,

Thank you for your reply.

I never even asked for my limit to be changed, my bank just did it when I complained that my Visa debit did not work in Italy.

Plus, I cannot even activate my card in an ATM as it will not give me the option.

Basically, there is a technical fault with my card on the part of BOI and I regret ever changing to BOI based on their solutions to problems

I'd appreciate your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi Dia1988,

As we do not have account access here we are unable to check to see what the issue may be regarding your card. If you would like to pm us with your name, account holding branch and contact number, we will organise for someone in your branch to contact you regarding this.

Thanks,

Paula C

Advertisement