Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study?

• 08-09-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

How much study should a leaving cert student be doing each day in order to attain good results. I have been hearing a lot of varied answers and would much appreciate clarification.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

It varies depending on the person and what you consider good results, which is why you're hearing varied answers. If you're still in fifth year, you have time to find out how much time and what methods work for you - just ramp up the time until you get the results you want. If even putting in absurd amounts of time (ie no free time after homework and study) doesn't do it, look into different methods.

If you're in sixth year, you've left it a bit late to figure out, but you can still try studying until you're at ease doing exam papers without reference to books, then judge by the mocks/pres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

It's hard to give a straight forward answer because everyone is different in the way they learn.
    At this stage of the year I would focus on getting homework done and then doing an hour or so of study afterwards for class tests and what not.
    Anything after that is really up to you.
    Some people get 500+ by just listening in class whereas others put in a lot more time after school and at weekends and get the same.
    You're the only person that knows how much you should be doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mattiekav

Thank you. For all of my courses i require over 560 points. I achieved above this in my 5th year summer tests but i understand that that is only half of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

For 560+ you'd want to be putting in serious amounts of work. 3-4 hours a night at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mattiekav

Prodgey wrote: »
    For 560+ you'd want to be putting in serious amounts of work. 3-4 hours a night at least.

I have supervised study from 5:40 until 7:30 and 8:15 until 10:00 every weeknight as well as half on saturdays and an extra hour from christmas onwards. I am hoping that that will be sufficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

mattiekav wrote: »
    I have supervised study from 5:40 until 7:30 and 8:15 until 10:00 every weeknight as well as half on saturdays and an extra hour from christmas onwards. I am hoping that that will be sufficient

If it's productive study it will be plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

mattiekav wrote: »

Well that would be great! You seem really motivated so I think you'll get it no problem!
    Don't forget relaxing time, I would take one day from the week as a 'chill day' to just keep me sane during this stressful year :P

Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Garda97

I want about 450 points in the leaving! ;) im in 5th year now and was wondering whats the best way to study and what's the best ways for my subjects! :) im doing Maths (H) English (H) Irish (O) French (H) Business (H) Biology (H) Geography (H) Economics (H) all help would be appreciated ;) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Maths: questions, questions, questions. It's really the only way to study. Do all the revision questions at the end of chapters and make sure you learn your theorems and constructions.

English: learn quotes, I'm not amazing at English but that's what I do. For the fictional writing I find reading fictional books really helps me.

Irish: can't really help here :o

French: know your grammar inside out; passé composé, le présent, le futur simple, le futur, le conditionnel. I'd strongly advise something like learning 5 words of vocab a night. It might not seem helpful but trust me, over time it'll really build up and help you in your aural and your oral along with the actual test itself.

Geography: I don't know if your teacher has told you about essays yet, but they are basically everything. If you learn your essays, you'll know nearly all the short questions that can come up in those chapters. A lot of it is common sense too (especially in physical geography).

I don't do Business, Biology or Economics so I can't help there. Don't overload yourself with study this year, just make sure you pay attention in class and do all your homework and study well for class tests. If you like making notes for study, then start now because it'll take a lot of pressure of your back come 6th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Garda97

Thanks for the advice! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement