Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food and coffee in UCD

Options
  • 08-09-2013 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Any nice spots to recommend on campus??? Good coffee and nice (cheap :)) food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Student Bar, Elements or Insomnia!

*gets coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Is there an Insomnia on campus? Couldn't find it listed anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Is there an Insomnia on campus? Couldn't find it listed anywhere!

All of the above were turfed out when Kylemore took over the entire food / drink in UCD ;)

StarBucks is in Quinn Business School. Everywhere else, except the restaurant, serves pretty much the same sandwiches (Readers under the Library and Pulse in the Medical Building are identical menu's, except Pulse serves Salad's I think)

The other option, cheaper of course, is the Student Union Shops. If you like good coffee, you'll probably despise SU coffee. I'm pretty sure its the cheapest of the cheap. Gives me heartburn. Very bitter and acidic. They do however offer good lunch deals sandwich wise.

Centra is also worth a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

50c for a coffee or tea in the Ag building, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

There are insomnia machines in the student union ships . Not great but cheap-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Haven't checked yet but I'm hoping Costa is back in Readers this year. Best coffee on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

In a similar train of thought. Does anyone know of a source of hot water or a microwave on campus that we can use? Preferably over the north end of campus!

I think the Seomra Gaeilge has one!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Centra is the best for food I think, Chicken fillet roll for 2.75 and full pizza for 3.50, does the job nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The SU shop under the James Joyce library has new coffee machines which I have to say make a pretty great coffee for only 1.50 (or whatever it is), and they have a hot food counter now too, which I don't know if it's nice, but is probably the cheapest on campus.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    which I don't know if it's nice, but is probably the cheapest on campus.

I was in earlier. It looked nice anyway.

On a side note, Costa is still there and a good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bringupthebook

[Jackass] wrote: »
    The SU shop under the James Joyce library has new coffee machines which I have to say make a pretty great coffee for only 1.50 (or whatever it is), and they have a hot food counter now too, which I don't know if it's nice, but is probably the cheapest on campus.

Think it was €5 for a ciabatta and a drink. Was ok wouldnt rush back. Lasagna etc looks nice though. You can get it with or without salad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Eathrin wrote: »
    I think the Seomra Gaeilge has one!

Ca bhfuil an seomra?

Anybody know of any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

Just got a beef curry in the student restaurant in the Gerard Manley Hopkins centre. 8 eurp, rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

€1 coffee in The Grind in the old student centre, and it's not bad at all!
    €3.50 for a roll/wrap, and an extra 40c if you want hot chicken. Unlimited fillings too, it's class.

Jammyc wrote: »
    Ca bhfuil an seomra?

Anybody know of any others?

I've never been per se.
    I think it's in the Arts building somewhere. Make some enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Eathrin wrote: »
    I've never been per se.
    I think it's in the Arts building somewhere. Make some enquiries.

Arts block, B205

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Can you not get sausage beans and chips for about 1.50 in the canteen anymore? That was standard fare in my day.

€2 for soup isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

most of the people now working in the hot food section of the readers cafe look like they`ve never made a sandwich before in their lives. So slow :-( i wish the folks from last year could have stayed on

• Advertisement

Vorophobe wrote: »
    most of the people now working in the hot food section of the readers cafe look like they`ve never made a sandwich before in their lives. So slow :-( i wish the folks from last year could have stayed on

Some of them are last years staff. I recognised 3 of them but the were over by the coffee rather than the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The people making the coffee at Readers don't have a clue about how to make a cafe latte.

Is there any place on campus where they do know how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The people making the coffee at Readers don't have a clue about how to make a cafe latte.

Is there any place on campus where they do know how?

Always founds the staff in UCD to be very nice and with all due respect to them, however, I feel Kylemore in general have a very high staff rotation. I'm not sure why but generally people don't seem to hang around much longer than 6 months to a year. And as a result you get people with alot of inexperience in what are pretty high pressure places. UCD at lunchtime is probably the busiest you can get in terms of the catering sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnronson

Scrambled egg and toast for 2.80 in the new sports centre cafe although they do microwave the egg.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Anybody know the opening hours of the shop under the library at the weekends?

Jammyc wrote: »
    In a similar train of thought. Does anyone know of a source of hot water or a microwave on campus that we can use? Preferably over the north end of campus!

Alternatively you could put a travel kettle in your locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

Vet college has a microwave and (I think it still has a) toaster for general use, in the vet canteen

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

€1 coffee in The Grind in the old student centre, and it's not bad at all!
    €3.50 for a roll/wrap, and an extra 40c if you want hot chicken. Unlimited fillings too, it's class.
    The grind has god-tier chicken mayo as well. I live off the stuff.

The food in the restaurant in the new science building is pretty gross. Cold greasy pizza. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The food in the restaurant in the new science building is pretty gross. Cold greasy pizza. Eugh.

That's only one thing, to be fair. Their breakfasts are excellent. Any amount of beans for 30c! And their black pudding is class too.

• Advertisement

A whole plate of beans? :D

Advertisement