Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW X3 turbo failure and customer support

• 08-09-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all

I have been a BMW fan for the last 10 years, and have had a 318is (E36), a 525i (E39) and recently an X3 (E83). There is no doubt they are fantastic cars to drive. They have all had minor problems along the way (oil leaks, burning smells that could not be sourced, fuel pump failure, radiator burst etc.

However the big failure was with our 2006 X3 2.0d recently. I bought it in 2008 from a BMW main dealer. Two years ago the turbo failed completely. The car was just under two years out of warranty. I contacted BMW given the low mileage of the car (65,000 miles) and was initially refused any support. However, following my research online to find and show BMW Ireland numerous sites in Ireland and the UK discussing similar failures (on cars with as low as 22,000 miles) they kindly offered to provide the part free of charge (cost €2,000) if I agreed to pay for the labour (€1,100). I happily agreed to this fair gesture. I believe the fact that the car had a full BMW service history played a large part in this offering.

So 20 months and about 14,000 miles later it blew a second time. BMW Ireland were once again not prepared to take responsibility for this failure, despite the part coming with a 2 year warranty. I was told that the warranty was not mine because I did not purchase the part (makes no sense to me...). Finally they offered to contribute 40% of the cost of the part replacement (€800) and I would have to pay the remainder (€2,100). I decided this was neither fair nor acceptable. They would not budge. I eventually had the part replaced with an independent garage using a generic part (I was told it's actually the same part by the same manufacturer, without the BMW box) for a total cost of €1,700.

I find it hugely disappointing after buying a premium car and owning it for five years, paying full BMW service prices on schedule and experiencing two failures of the same part, despite the second part failure occurring within warranty that BMW could not accept their responsibility. The car was used purely for domestic purposes, mostly on motorways, and with only one occupant.

So own goal to BMW Ireland not backing up their hype about building premium cars and having a premium customer service product. If you are considering buying an X3, expect the turbo to be changed about every two to three years. Personally I have vowed not to buy another BMW after this experience due to the arrogance and intransigence of the distributor. I have to say the garage I was dealing with in Dublin were very courteous and professional though.

Thats my experience. Anyone had any similar issues with BMW? They have lost my custom from now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Isn't that 2.0d the same as the 320d and 520d from that era that suffered from well known turbo issues and BMW said they were only offering "goodwill" cover on a case by case basis?

There was a tv program about it not so long ago if so

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jazzchord

Thanks Max.

That's interesting. Yes I believe it's the same engine on the 320d. Not sure about the 520d. They refuse to accept it's an issue. I personally think that they are pulling the wool over customers' eyes saying that the service interval is 15,000 miles (24,000km) even with synthetic oil. This just isn't good for the car. Perhaps this is contributing to the problem. I did a couple of oil changes between official services per dashboard countdown a couple of times but I have to admit I didn't do it each time. 24k is just too much to ask an engine. But the marketing people use it as a sales tactic showing how good the service interval is in terms of running costs. But of course all the big trouble will probably start after the warranty runs out. Then they make more money in the service dept! Clever.

Also, I bought my X3 from a BMW dealer in the UK because I couldn't locate a low mileage one in Ireland. In the UK they come with a 3 year BMW warranty from new. The Irish equivalent only got a 2 year warranty. But they honoured my three-year one in Ireland, being europe-wide. How fair is that on the Irish customer? Lucky too because I had the clutch changed under warranty at 2.5 years too (35,000 miles!).

I always got the feeling from dealing with BMW in Dublin generally that their preferred customer was the corporate client who wasn't paying for the services or repairs personally, so they didn't argue the bills. The private owner was a bit of a nuisance on the other hand asking awkward questions regarding the bill.

So they have a faulty product, but they will never admit it, or take responsibility for it, unless you shout a lot and make a nuisance of yourself. And even that will only work once.

Jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

You didn't forget to change the crankcase breather/oil separator by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, it is common enough knowledge that those various cars fitted with that engine have a problem with the design of the turbo breather filter which gets blocked easily which eventually starves the turbo of oil causing it to blow. There is a new type vortex filter that is available for around €70 that helps elevate this problem. It doesn't totally stop the problem which is why it is still recommended that you change the filter every 2nd or 3rd oil service. I assume BMW changed it when they fitted the new turbo 2 years ago?

BTW how regularly has the car being serviced given you do such small mileage. I hope you are getting it serviced using a time interval rather than mileage interval. It should get an oil and filter change at least once a year if you are not doing big mileage.

I think you did well getting BMW to contribute anything to be honest as generally they don't entertain any goodwill on cars of that age. Not many other manufacturers do either.

Thanks Bazz and Paulk

I take your point. I was impressed with the goodwill gesture and I knew it was only that, but at the same time I don't think it is reasonable for any company to stand over a car fully serviced by them which has a turbo failure at <60,000km. They are not consumables. The second failure was within the warranty so the manufacturer should have been compelled to replace that one. So the second failure was to me a failure of the first gesture.

I only heard of a breather at all (I'm not a mechanic) after this second one blew and I did more research into the engine. I would have expected that the breather filters are changed and cleaned etc at the regular BMW service and at the turbo change, but I can't be sure. We actually cover about 20,000km per year normally so it was always serviced within one year, apart from last year when it went beyond a year (we did much less mileage last year). On the recent turbo replacement the mechanic mentioned that he fitted the new type breather.

I have now paid €2,800 for turbos (accounting for the goodwill gesture of a free turbo the first time) and I have given BMW substantial custom on the standard services, so I don't feel I was lucky or BMW were generous in some way beyond reasonable. The car is not yet seven years old, with 85,000 miles (136,000km) on the clock, and on its third turbo. I have learned my lesson. I know I won't be getting any more recovery from BMW, so I just would like other potential owners to be aware of this issue. It is a fantastic car to drive. If someone reading this has one, then change the oil and the oil / breather filters often and you might save a lot of money. But for me its bye bye BMW. There's too much good competition.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Breather filters aren't covered under BMW servicing. A 06 should have had the vortex filter, but if it didn't a clogged breather filter could have caused the initial turbo failure, and subsequently the second one if it wasn't replaced when the turbo was.

You were also very lucky to get a replacement clutch under warranty, as clutches are wear and tear and while 35k miles isn't a lot for a clutch to go, its purely depending on driving style...

If I were you, I'd be doing research on "swirl flaps" before you get another shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

Breather filters aren't covered under BMW servicing. A 06 should have had the vortex filter, but if it didn't a clogged breather filter could have caused the initial turbo failure, and subsequently the second one if it wasn't replaced when the turbo was.

You were also very lucky to get a replacement clutch under warranty, as clutches are wear and tear and while 35k miles isn't a lot for a clutch to go, its purely depending on driving style...

If I were you, I'd be doing research on "swirl flaps" before you get another shock.

The traction control sensor went in a E90 320i I had. It is well known to fail. I also went to BMW looking for goodwill but received none. I told them that goodwill would go a long way with me as I was thinking of buying an F10 five series this year. No budge.

So I went and bought a new A6 instead.

I intended to write to the owner/ managing director of said dealership and explain to him how bad customer service had cost him a €55k sale. But I figured that would be just petty.

Challengemaster,

Thanks for the info on the swirl flap. No idea what it is, but I will start researching.

JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

hunkydory1 wrote: »
    I intended to write to the owner/ managing director of said dealership and explain to him how bad customer service had cost him a €55k sale. But I figured that would be just petty.

I would, email them with a CC to BMW headquarters/head office or what ever. Even attach a photo of your shiny new Audi.

I am petty though, I would take great pleasure in sickening their shité!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I doubt they care, business is nothing personal. People think it is but it just isnt. VAG are even worse (had a brand new golf that a 1500 euro part failed three days within the warranty but on a Friday evening. By the time the Bank Hol weekend had finished the fault was reported on the Tuesday and VW declined the repair saying it was out of warranty and should have been reported to their breakdown service. What would you think if you had paid 25k for it 24 months previously?
    So you havent gained in buying an Irish Audi whatsoever, far from it...
    To the original poster BMW I think are being very fair. There is no warranty on replaced parts traditionally the warranty of the original part applying. Any main dealer is going to be very expensive for anything, someone has to keep the lights on (an awful lot of them), its a rich mans game with a bottomless chequebook or a poor mans game if he so chooses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I thought that whole swirl flap issue was sorted for 05 on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I thought that whole swirl flap issue was sorted for 05 on?

The swirl flaps were an issue on the 47M engine. (2 litre diesel). I don't know if it was ever resolved because that engine was replaced by the 47N and from memory I think that was 2007. Swirl flaps were not a problem in the 47N, instead we were introduced to the delights of breaking timing chains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My brother has a 320cd 05 and I remember reading some where the manifold was modified around Oct 04. I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My brother has a 320cd 05 and I remember reading some where the manifold was modified around Oct 04. I think

Completely missed this...

Mine is Nov 04 production date, registered as 05 - manifold was never changed on them, I still had to get mine blanked.

I'd recommend he has a look at it!

Advertisement