Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a media player which will....

• 08-09-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

1. Play all the popular movie formats
    2. Stream content (movies and music) wirelessly from my NAS (I already have a WD Live box elsewhere which streams with no issues)
    3. Play NetFlix, YouTube and Vimeo etc
    4. This is probably the tricky one - I want it to be able to play streamed online sports content some of which is HD. I therefore guess it needs to have a browser and store favourites etc

Does such a box exist?

As I said I already have a WD Live box which is great but I can't stream online content via it other than via the preloaded proprietary apps for NetFlix, YouTube etc.

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Not sure if this helps much but I'm currently using a boxee box and it plays any video or audio formats be it HD or even 3D without any problems. Also downloads subtitles if needed.

Can't tell you about your 2nd and 3rd point as have never tried doing these but there are apps on it which I'm sure includes YouTube and Vimeo but not sure about Netflix.

Now the last point your enquiring about is one of the main reasons I wanted such a box. I've used 4 different streaming sites on the boxee box and it has worked with 3 out of 4 of them. Not sure if I can mention the sites on here but the one it didn't work with is actually one of the main sites in operation now. That was last year and I switched to another subscription site in the meantime which offers HD & SD streams and the boxee plays perfectly.

There is probably newer media players out there now as the developers no longer send out any updates but there is a boxee site which lets you hack the box very easily and put there updated software on it and it looks a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks S_Carnage, could you PM me the sites you referred to? If they include the one I use most frequently then a Boxee box might well do the trick.

Appreciate the feedback.

BTW, is Kagawa going to be a regular for you boyz this year given you didn't sign an AM/#10 or is Moyes going to keep him in the reserves/on the bench? I just put him in my FF team as (in my amateur opinion) he's exactly what Man U need with Fellani and Carrick in front of the back four and Nani/Valencia on the wings but then I guess where does Rooney fit in when he comes back??

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I'd be also interested in the names of the streaming sites that work for the boxee box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Does anyone know if there is an XMBC app which runs on the. WD Live box? That could be one way to watch Internet streams as I think you can do that via XMBC.

Ben

Advertisement