Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hipster supporters

• 08-09-2013 2:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

You always see people supporting obscure clubs like Yeovil, Oldham, York, Sheffield Wednesday etc

Do people only support teams like this so they can seem like there not following the rest (i.e. a hipster) by supporting man Utd, Liverpool etc

People from Wexford or Carlow referring to say Sheffield Wednesday as ''we'' when theres a good chance they've never been to a Sheffield Wednesday game in there life.

I use Sheffield Wednesday as an example as they seem to be a very popular obscure club people support.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

lala88 wrote: »
    You always see people supporting obscure clubs like Yeovil, Oldham, York, Sheffield Wednesday etc

Do people only support teams like this so they can seem like there not following the rest (i.e. a hipster) by supporting man Utd, Liverpool etc

People from Wexford or Carlow referring to say Sheffield Wednesday as ''we'' when theres a good chance they've never been to a Sheffield Wednesday game in there life.

I use Sheffield Wednesday as an example as they seem to be a very popular obscure club people support.

What do people think?

Who do you support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I support York because I had a 40+year game with them in Football Manager.

I fully expect to go over to Max Power Stadium in York someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

What do people think?

A team that spent 15 of 16 seasons between 1984 and 2000 (when many on here would be 'picking' a team) in the top division of English football are obscure??

People pick teams for many reasons. Maybe they lived in Sheffield at some point, maybe one of their parents did, maybe it was the first team they saw on MOTD or a team who played a friendly against their local LOI team.

I don't think people supporting lower league teams are trying to be hipsters to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I've a mate that's a Wigan fan, lives in London so goes to their away games around that area and the odd home game. He just decided one day to support them when they were just about to get promoted. And fair play to him, loves them but has great banter about them being sh*t. Went to the charity shield with him and had a great laugh in the "away" end.

I've a mate thats a WBA and one who's a Hull fan, but he just irritates me about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Swindon because I have family over there and went to a few of the games, loved the atmosphere and how the club treats the fans on matchday.

Oddly enough I follow Liverpool because of family, I was born into it and no one wants to talk about the match last weekend in League One.

Let people support who they want why does it bother you OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

What do people think?

What's the difference between calling Sheffield Wednesday "we" or Liverpool or Man Utd "we".

Exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I know a guy that goes to Torquay Utd at least twice a year he's been supporting them for years and still thinks they'll make the championship one day..and he no hipster that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Has English crap league football replaced Dortmund and St Pauli since they went mainstream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Has English crap league football replaced Dortmund and St Pauli since they went mainstream?

Crap?

The football league is brilliant imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I go to see Leyton Orient at least once a season. I have a good few friends from the area. Hipster? No.

Football exists outside the CL and EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kinda funny if in 20 years someone asks, "what's with all the people in their 40s supporting Man Utd?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I used to be a regular at the Mc Alpine stadium.

Was not aware that made me a hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Crap?

The football league is brilliant imo

It is well formatted with the play-offs etc but I wouldnt watch a full game unless its a play-off game or last day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Since moving from home I've started to take an interest in the teams from where I'm living.

I went to a good few Bangor City matches last season.

I'm working in Crewe, and hope to get to at least one match over the season. The tickets are wicked expensive though. £25 or so for a League 1 match.

I'm living in a place called Nantwich. I'm actually living 500 yards from the stadium of the local team, Nantwich Town FC. They're in the Evo-Stik League (aka the Northern Premier League). FC United of Manchester are in their league.

I'll also be going to a few United matches this season. I'll be seeing Champions League football, Football League ball and non-league football all in the space of a few weeks. I love going to football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I don't know too many hipsters, but generally people who follow "obscure" teams have a reason for it. Fans of the bigger clubs are much more likely to have made the decision arbitrarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I've a mate who's a Wednesday fan since we were in primary school, we're just in our 30's now. He's not a hipster, that's for sure. I actually admire the fact that he has to make more of an effort to follow games and results/news compared to the rest of us, his Liverpool / Utd / Arsenal following friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wednesday were a big club in the 80s/90s Chris Waddle... Ha ha beating them in the cup replay in 93... It's Andy Linigan (return to innocence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paul Warhurst is the only reason any Irish person follows Wednesday. :D

Edit: John Harkes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I support Brentford as I live down the road from them, I am one of those West London hipsters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

darragh16 wrote: »
    Went to the charity shield with him and had a great laugh in the "away" end.

How is there an away end at the Charity Shield? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »
    I go to see Leyton Orient at least once a season. I have a good few friends from the area. Hipster? No.

Football exists outside the CL and EPL.

It does, but I can't understand why someone would support a foreign team and then go support a **** one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How is there an away end at the Charity Shield? :confused:

Simple, its obviously referring to the section with the opposition fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

franglan wrote: »
    I support Brentford as I live down the road from them, I am one of those West London hipsters though.

Thank you

Otherwise this is like the comedy channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

circadian wrote: »
    I used to be a regular at the Mc Alpine stadium.

Was not aware that made me a hipster.

Saw my first professional football match there in 1998. Nice little ground it was. League Cup game against West Ham, which Huddersfield won incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

What do people think?

Haha! I support Sheffield Wednesday for near 25 years soon, that's way before hipsters were 'invented'. Sheffield Wednesday were actually in the Premier League.
    There is (was) actually a pretty active thread on this forum. I'll find it later.
    While there are people I've met in Ireland who support Wednesday and on this forum, to say they are very popular is ludicrous!
    I've also been to Hillsborough loads of times as have all the guys I have talked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What was the big fat goalie for Wednesday had a few England caps? (Not woods) pressman that's it- lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I remember when the front cover of 90 Minutes magazine around 1993 declared Sheffield Wednesday would win the League that year.

It said something like 'Champions! Tricky Trev's men can go all the way this year" They didn't get anywhere near the title that year, but it shows that they were on the verge of being a serious contender at that time. It hasn't gone well for them since, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Haha! I support Sheffield Wednesday for near 25 years soon, that's way before hipsters were 'invented'. Sheffield Wednesday were actually in the Premier League.
    There is (was) actually a pretty active thread on this forum. I'll find it later.
    While there are people I've met in Ireland who support Wednesday and on this forum, to say they are very popular is ludicrous!
    I've also been to Hillsborough loads of times as have all the guys I have talked to.

That makes you a super hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I blame my relations in Oldham. Plus the FA & League Cup runs in 89-90. Then the promotion in 90-91 sealed the deal. Too stubborn to let go since. "We're" on the telly tonight for any budding hipsters out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What do people think?
    I think people on here spend too much time worrying about why others follow the teams that they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sheffield Wednesday are a second team for me.

As a kid, I really liked their name, their blue and white stripes & their crest. Pretty simple really. When you're 5, these things are important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I don't get the whole term "hipster" - who gives sh!te who ya support, what ya wear, jaysus sake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

wprathead wrote: »
    I don't get the whole term "hipster" - who gives sh!te who ya support, what ya wear, jaysus sake..

That there sounds like hipster talk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

razorblunt wrote: »
    That there sounds like hipster talk!

"Ya, I like totally support Kashima Antlers.. you prob don't know them, but they are big in Japan.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I hate the fact that anyone who watches non-PL football, on top of their PL viewing habits, is now a 'hipster'. How dare a football fan watch and take and interest in the most popular leagues in the world or know players from the La Liga side Barca/Real are playing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I support Charlton Athletic, was born in the area and my parents moved over here when I was 4 years old. Still love the club, go over a few times a year. Would rather watch League 1 or Championship instead of Premiership. Standard is good and most players actually want to play and do well, they aren't just over paid children like most of the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sheffield Wednesday were a huge club and anyone who calls them obscure is a clueless idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

yabadabado wrote: »
    Sheffield Wednesday were a huge club and anyone who calls them obscure is a clueless idiot.

I'm glad you said it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

In fairness the most obscure team these hipsters could support are any LOI team ffs, at least they'd bolster the gates, is that too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dobman88 wrote: »
    I support Charlton Athletic, was born in the area and my parents moved over here when I was 4 years old. Still love the club, go over a few times a year. Would rather watch League 1 or Championship instead of Premiership. Standard is good and most players actually want to play and do well, they aren't just over paid children like most of the PL.

I don't like this argument, the 2 leagues below are full of players with shocking attitudes also, the ones whose talent wasn't good enough to act that way and still make it at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've sometimes found that lads who follow teams of lower status e.g. League One teams are given a bit of kudos for 'sticking with them through thick and thin'. What absolute b*llocks. That's what supporting a team is. Should be no extra backslapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

CSF wrote: »
    I don't like this argument, the 2 leagues below are full of players with shocking attitudes also, the ones whose talent wasn't good enough to act that way and still make it at the top level.

It wasn't an argument, it is my opinion. That's the beauty of football, everyone has an opinion and there is no "right" one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Would not ''support'' any Championship or lower League team but like

Nottingham Forest (Mate played for them and the ground/atmosphere is quality)
    Accrington Stanley (Who are they)
    Wrexham
    Barnet
    Canvey Island (Fa Cup run a few years back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've sometimes found that lads who follow teams of lower status e.g. League One teams are given a bit of kudos for 'sticking with them through thick and thin'. What absolute b*llocks. That's what supporting a team is. Should be no extra backslapping.

But they are proper fans dont ye know because they didnt take the easy route of supporting Liverpool, United, chelsea, arsenal etc etc :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Family on my Dads side are from Salford, always been United fans. Well, we have a couple of feckin City fans who like to go against the tide but United is "in the blood" there and that carried over to us too, despite the geographical difference.

Also from family connections I would cheer on Rochdale and always look out for the results and hope they do well, been to see a few games, back when Holt was still plying his trade there, haven't been in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

yabadabado wrote: »
    Clueless idiot?

You need to think a bit more about things before you post. What came to my mind when the op posted was how young he is or how old I am. There are lots of people around now who don't remember Sheffield Wednesday in the top divison of english football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eagle eye wrote: »
    Clueless idiot?

You need to think a bit more about things before you post. What came to my mind when the op posted was how young he is or how old I am. There are lots of people around now who don't remember Sheffield Wednesday in the top divison of english football.

That's not really important to the point though.

Clueless idiot may be a bit strong, but to not know that Wednesday were in the top division for so long or calling them an obscure club would display a lack of knowledge tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

eagle eye wrote: »
    Clueless idiot?

I would suggest the OP to do a small bit of research before starting a thread.not too difficult to use Google .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Who's this Nottingham Forest lot?

• Advertisement
Advertisement