Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert languages

• 08-09-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am just finished my junior cert and am currently in 4th year. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start a new language like Italian or Spanish for my leaving cert. I already study French and an keeping that up for my leaving cert. is it too late to start the new language and to have it upto the standard I need to have it in about 2 years? Thanks ciara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My German teacher had a student who got a c3 in German in a year. It's a very structured exam. The oral only has 7 topics. The grammar section is learnable.

Tbh there is easier options for an extra subject. I got an A2 in geography in a year and hopefully an A1 on a recheck. Economics is quite doable in a year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ciara3633 wrote: »
    Hi, I am just finished my junior cert and am currently in 4th year. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to start a new language like Italian or Spanish for my leaving cert. I already study French and an keeping that up for my leaving cert. is it too late to start the new language and to have it upto the standard I need to have it in about 2 years? Thanks ciara

You could do Russian or Japanese. They are two year courses.
    Having done French would be a help with either of the other available Romance languages, but you'd still need a fairly good standard as they are five year courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've heard there are courses run in Blackrock for free for doing Italian in 2 years. Japanese is also done out there, two of my friends did it for a year.

It really depends on how good you are at French / languages in general I think. If you already understand the harder grammar (e.g. past tenses), then you only have to learn endings for Spanish/Italian since you'll know the uses already. But if you keep yourself organized and learn all the sets of words (e.g. topical vocabulary, pronouns, verb endings, prepositions, those kinds of things) then there's no reason you can't do decently enough with a bit of extra work I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

I'm in TY too and I've just started teaching myself Spanish, after taking French for the Junior Cert. I have to say, so far I'm finding it really easy! Loads of the vocab is similar and pronunciation is so much easier. And as Canard said, if you can understand french grammar (tenses, nouns, adjectives, reflexives) and how it works then it's very easy to apply to Spanish ( and I assume Italian). Then again French is my best subject and I love languages but I'd say with hard work you could manage.
    Also, although I don't know much about Italian, I have heard it's the most similar romance language to French and my aunt, who is fluent in French was in Italy recently and told me that she was able to communicate with the locals, with little difficulty - her speaking french, and them speaking Italian.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's completely doable if you put in a lot of work yourself and don't just rely on the teacher (if you're going to take classes outside of school). Get Pimsleur or whatever your local library has and start listening to the. Listen to podcasts/watch TV in the language. And if possible spend time in the country next summer. I really regret not going to Germany before 6th year. Those who did had a distinct advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

did russian in 2 weeks and got an A2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yournerd wrote: »
    did russian in 2 weeks and got an A2 :D
    Yes, but wouldn't you have had a fair bit of Russian before you ever opened the textbook? :p

Not *quite* the same thing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

pick something similar to French maybe so probably Spanish but just don't mix up the two languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Check out memrise.com and duolingo.com
    Get yourself started on the language of your choice.
    See how you are at the end of the year. You should be able to get yourself to Junior Cert standard handily enough.

If you manage that then absolutely take up the extra language next year.

Advertisement