Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB hard drive not working in Sony Bravia TV

• 08-09-2013 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I have a external hard drive with a USB connection but it won't work (play any Films) on any of my Sony Bravia TV's. It works on my sisters TV but her TV is a Phillips. Is there anyway around my problem?? If I get a DVD player with a USB connection and plug the hard drive into that could I play films through the DVD player to the TV? Any help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds like either the partition size is too big or the disk may be formatted as NTFS and maybe the Sony only supports FAT32. I have a Philips and the user manuals says it supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

Have you tried updating the s/w on the Sony TV?

Edit: This article on a Sony website dated April 2013 says Sony does not support NTFS, that's probably the issue.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38353/c/65,66/kw/ntfs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yep, it does need to be formatted to FAT32.

You can use this to do it - Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.
    It's pretty straight forward to use, and is a decent bit of software to have also.

You could also use this, which is also very good - Easus Partition Master 9.2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

Thanks lads, Sorry Im not very technical minded with all this stuff :-(

Ok so if I download that software onto my laptop. How do I then upload it onto my Sony Bravia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

martineire wrote: »
    Thanks lads, Sorry Im not very technical minded with all this stuff :-(

Ok so if I download that software onto my laptop. How do I then upload it onto my Sony Bravia?

You don't.
    You run the software on your PC and convert the hard drive to FAT32 while it is connected to your PC.

How much of your hard drive is filled with movies?

Best thing to do is convert the hard drive to FAT32 and then put the movies on to it.
    Follow this
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/convertpartition/convert-partition-to-fat32.html

You can either put the movies onto your PC -> Convert the Hard Drive -> Put movies back.
    Or (a bit more involved)
    Create A Fat32 Partition, (Depending on how much space you have) -> Move movies to Fat32 partition and convert the rest of the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

Allyall wrote: »
    You don't.
    You run the software on your PC and convert the hard drive to FAT32 while it is connected to your PC.

How much of your hard drive is filled with movies?

Best thing to do is convert the hard drive to FAT32 and then put the movies on to it.
    Follow this
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/convertpartition/convert-partition-to-fat32.html

You can either put the movies onto your PC -> Convert the Hard Drive -> Put movies back.
    Or (a bit more involved)
    Create A Fat32 Partition, (Depending on how much space you have) -> Move movies to Fat32 partition and convert the rest of the drive.
    That makes perfect sense thanks. I have a good few movies on the hard drive alright but as you stated above I'll work my way around that by either one of the methods above.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Do you have any HD movie files? Any around 4GB in size or over? If so, depending on the NTFS->FAT32 conversion software, it will either fail to convert, or chop these files or corrupt them in some way, due to the 4GB size limit of FAT32.

Your own solution of buying a DVD (or Blu-ray) player that has a properly supported USB media player may be the simpler and better answer. You could also consider buying one with network or even wifi support. Then you could dispense with the USB HDD and simply select files to play over your network.

Advertisement