Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will landlords accept deposit only for first month?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey there,

I hope to be back in full-time employment by the end of this month, but I'm currently extremely stuck for money, and an issue with Welfare means I haven't been able to amass any savings. Providing I am employed, I imagine that I'll just about be able to scrape together money for a deposit, but I'm really counting on a landlord being willing to accept month 1 and month 2's payments at the end of my first month of tenancy when I'm paid by the new job.

How likely is it that a landlord would accept this deal? Deposit up front, but written assurance that the first month's rent would come immediately upon payment at the end of the month, as well as my second month's rent? Would proof of employment, references etc, be enough? Or am I well and truly buggered?

Thanks for any advice you can bring :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's highly unlikely that a landlord would take the risk of handing over their property to you with no security. Once you move in it's difficult for a landlord to evict you. Especially when you hope to be in employment but haven't actually got a job yet, the landlord couldn't be sure of getting the money a month later. Sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IcarusPlus

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely that a landlord would take the risk of handing over their property to you with no security. Once you move in it's difficult for a landlord to evict you. Especially when you hope to be in employment but haven't actually got a job yet, the landlord couldn't be sure of getting the money a month later. Sorry

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I mean is: if I do get a job (and only if I do), would a landlord be willing to accept a deposit at the beginning of the month, but my first month's rent in arrears + second month's rent at the end of it? He would know that I was being paid at the end of the month, so it would just be an anomalous four weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Kagawa10

Not a chance. Landlords get screwed so much that no one would allow it. How are they to know that you won't just leave at the end of the month. Better off talking to your local credit union and get a small loan. Your local credit union will be very helpful provided you have proof of employment.

If the job is outside Dublin and Cork where there is a lot of property for rent then maybe they will. The last think landlords want is people going to be late with rent.

Kagawa10 wrote: »
    Not a chance. Landlords get screwed so much that no one would allow it. How are they to know that you won't just leave at the end of the month. Better off talking to your local credit union and get a small loan. Your local credit union will be very helpful provided you have proof of employment.

If the job is outside Dublin and Cork where there is a lot of property for rent then maybe they will.

Nope, the job's in Dublin city centre.

So, even if I offer to pay the full deposit, present proof of employment, good references and assure he or she that I will be paid my dues by a respectable company at the end of the month, you think it's unlikely that they would accept waiting those four weeks for rent in arrears? (I'd also pay the second month's rent at the same time.) At that stage, it's guaranteed I'm in employment and earning.

It's unfortunate that a temporary glitch can screw you over so badly.

• Advertisement

Loan not an option no, or even someone to co-sign it with you. I was in a similar boat as yourself and thats what I had to do.

Kagawa10 wrote: »
    Loan not an option no, or even someone to co-sign it with you. I was in a similar boat as yourself and thats what I had to do.

Hm! It could be, but I'm not sure how speedily AIB could process my application, nor if they would even consider me for the exact same reason that I don't, at that precise moment, have enough in my account.

If I move in with someone else and they pay their first month's rent + deposit, might that be enough?

Or if I have a co-signer act as guarantor?

IcarusPlus wrote: »
    Hm! It could be, but I'm not sure how speedily AIB could process my application, nor if they would even consider me for the exact same reason that I don't, at that precise moment, have enough in my account.

If I move in with someone else and they pay their first month's rent + deposit, might that be enough?

Or if I have a co-signer act as guarantor?

Credit unions are a lot easier to get money off than banks. If you set up a meeting with the credit union and ask for say 1200 they will more than likely give it you with proof of employment if you deposit the 400 you allready have into the shares. If you have a co-signer they will probably 100% give it to you.

Just set up a meeting and talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Not a hope, if your not credit worthy in the landlords eyes he wont hand a property over to you. Maybe if he cant rent it he might but not in Dublin.
    I insist on payment by bankers draft or cash in case a cheque bounces. It could take 6 weeks getting a tenant out semi legally and even then with a chance of a small fine from the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How likely is it that a landlord would accept this deal? Deposit up front, but written assurance that the first month's rent would come immediately upon payment at the end of the month, as well as my second month's rent? Would proof of employment, references etc, be enough? Or am I well and truly buggered?
    You'll probably get one, but be warned; if he's this new to the game, he'll probably not have a clue on what rights you as a tenant has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

only if its a dive that they cant seem to rent to anybody else.

No LL will accept that all things being equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Unlikely. I wouldn't.

Rental market is strong. Why would a landlord want to be out of pocket to you, when other tenants will pay up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hey there,

I hope to be back in full-time employment by the end of this month, but I'm currently extremely stuck for money, and an issue with Welfare means I haven't been able to amass any savings. Providing I am employed, I imagine that I'll just about be able to scrape together money for a deposit, but I'm really counting on a landlord being willing to accept month 1 and month 2's payments at the end of my first month of tenancy when I'm paid by the new job.

Thanks for any advice you can bring :)

Come on... your joking ... you are joking right ??

Provided i'm employed !!!!

My God some mothers do have them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

the_syco wrote: »
    You'll probably get one, but be warned; if he's this new to the game, he'll probably not have a clue on what rights you as a tenant has.
    I think it extremely unlikely. It is hard to get a place with RA so how likely do you see it that a LL will take a risk of somebody just paying the deposit and then hoping they pay 2 months rent at the end of the month. Given the tenant could simply stop paying rent once they are in any LL willing to do this would be crazy. It is also for Dublin where there is a rental shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Any chance your new employer would give you an advance on your first months wages?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

when you are dealing with people on rent allowance you almost always have to as rent allowance is paid in arrears so you might not have an issue with some landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Moonbeam wrote: »
    when you are dealing with people on rent allowance you almost always have to as rent allowance is paid in arrears so you might not have an issue with some landlords.

RA is paid behind but the rent is still due the same way as everybody else. Generally the person will have been renting for 6 months first. After that if the person moves they are in the correct pattern of paying rent like normal tenants.

Advertisement