Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat diagnosed with FIP. What now?

• 08-09-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

First I apologize for any mistake or wrong term I will use in this long post, I'm Italian, so sometimes I might do some mistakes.
    Please, be patient and correct me if it's the case.

I have three cats. Two female and one male.
    The two female cats have always been indoor cats, they only go out to the garden with harness and leads. They enjoy the sunshine and the fresh air and don't take any chance with the traffic outside the fence. They aren't smart enough to cope with an outdoor life.
    The male cat has always been an outdoor only cat. He came to our door two years ago, he was obviously a house cat, friendly and sweet, probably he was lost or more likely abandoned.
    We didn't mean to keep him and posted several bills all over to find him a new home. It never happened, though he's wonderful and many people fall in love with him.
    The cat is positive to FIV and FeLV, so I've always been very careful to wash my hands thoroughly and sanitize them with chlorhexidine after handling him and before touching my indoor cats.
    On July 20th this cat was a little sick, he didn't want to eat, just sleep. I didn't care about it, a bad day can happen to everybody, but on the second day I was worried, so I rang my vet and on the next day we were there. The cat had fever, 40.2°C, but no other symptoms, so my vet gave him an antibiotic. In the following days the fever didn't improve so we asked for an ultrasound scan that revealed nothing.
    When a few days later the cat showed trouble at breathing we went to the veterinary clinic at the university where they found some liquid in his chest and drained it. They also hospitilize the cat for ten days and in these ten days they drained the cat three more times for a total amount of 270 ml of liquid. The fever was still there. They told that the cat was going to die and that I had to sign to put him to sleep, but I refused and brought him back home where he slowly recovered and after some other treatments from another clinic he turned from a dying cat to an almost normal cat in four days.
    We were so happy that we made it and that this poor cat was going to live a second life.
    Unfortunately, these new therapies had to be carried out at home as well, so we had to set a room for him, with all he needed. The vets told us that it was just for a week or so.
    We kept this room closed all the time so that the other two cats couldn't get close to him or touch his stuff.
    We always wash our hands after touching him.

Yesterday we had the last check-up visit, we had been waiting for this day for a week, and we were absolutely happy to go there and show off a fully recovered cat. We were proud of what we did!
    The day before this visit I noted that his belly was a bit rounder than the normal, but I thought he had eaten too much and since he lost some weight, his stomach would be more prominent and visible than before, though I had a little doubt, but I prayed that it was just me.
    When the vets saw his round belly they got a bit worried, so they ran a new ultrasound scan that revealed a good amount of liquid in his belly. The doctor extracted some liquid with a syringe and had it analyzed right away. After 30 minutes we had the worst report of all.
    The cat has FIP, Feline Infectious Peritonitis. My doubts were confirmed.
    All the battles we fought so far were won, but this battle we have to surrender.

The whole world crashed on me in a second. They don't know how long he has to live, it might be a matter of days or weeks. The cat seems alright, he eats, play a little, loves cuddles and purrs a lot.
    This thought is destroying me!

But worse than this is what do I do with the other two cats?
    Are all the precautions I took so far effective? How should I manage this issue? How will I treat and clean the room when all this story will be over and the room will be available again to the other two cats?
    The vets didn't answer these questions, perhaps they didn't know what to do.
    Has anybody of you some advice on this problem? Did anybody of you had experiences like this before?

Thanks in advance from the bottom of my heart!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OP I'm so sorry about your poor cat. My parents moved into a rented property a few years ago with their 2 male neutered cats. A neighbour of theirs had 2 un-spayed females who they neglected and those 2 cats soon began living with my folks. Long story short my parents ended up getting both females spayed as they'd had several litters and some of the kittens died, others we found homes for and 1 they kept.

The kitten they kept was diagnosed with fip when he was about a year old and had to be pts. Both the female cats are sisters and are both very healthy. My parents males were about 4 and 10 years old and neither of them have shown any symptoms and have lived together for about 3 years.

Your other cats may be fine, so fingers crossed and hope for the best. Losing a pet is one of the hardest and most heartbreaking things to endure. I'm sure that other posters can give you much more detailed advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP, I'm so sorry to hear this diagnosis :( FIP as you know is not a good diagnosis to get.To be honest if your cat is already experiencing ascites (fluid in the abdomen) it's maintenance therapy (long term corticosteroids,fluid therapy and multiaction antibiotics) for him now. There isn't a cure unfortunately.

How much contact do your 3 cats have usually? I'm wondering if your other female cat who experiences bouts of Toxoplasmosis is also infected with it, or that she's FeCoV (feline coronavirus positive) and this is causing intermittent immunosuppression causing the Toxo to reactivate. She may not be affected by the Coronavirus at all, but it could be influencing her other issue.

What diagnostic tests have you got done on your FIP cat? Are his Total Proteins elevated? Presumably so if he's got ascites. What is his liver & kidney function like? What drugs have you been given as maintenance therapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Just want to say how sorry I am, you obviously love your cats. My cat that recently died had ascites. Not FIP, but I spent a lot of time googling and worrying about it. From what I read it isn't that infectious, and even if your cats caught the initial virus they may never go on to develop FIP. I hope that's the case for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

So sorry to hear, OP.

My cat was diagnosed with FIP and I had her put to sleep there and then.
    As you say, the prognosis is days or weeks and I wanted her to have a peaceful death rather than continue to deteriorate. I watched one cat begin to die naturally once before, because I left it too late to put her down, and I never want to do that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Your other cats may be fine, so fingers crossed and hope for the best. Losing a pet is one of the hardest and most heartbreaking things to endure. I'm sure that other posters can give you much more detailed advice.

Pumpkinseed,
    Your experience is very positive and encouraging, I hope it'll be the same for me.
    The vets at the clinic told me that the transmission from one cat to another that aren't from the same litter or family is quite rare, about 5% chance, because almost avery cat has a sleeping coronavirus that could turn into a FIP, but all these coronavirus have different genome, so it should be very unlikely that they could infect one other.

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    OP, I'm so sorry to hear this diagnosis :( FIP as you know is not a good diagnosis to get.To be honest if your cat is already experiencing ascites (fluid in the abdomen) it's maintenance therapy (long term corticosteroids,fluid therapy and multiaction antibiotics) for him now. There isn't a cure unfortunately.

Anniehoo,
    At the moment the cat is treated with prednisolone for this problem, and clindamycin for an alleged toxoplasmosis. He was taking fluid therapy until the day of the last visit, but the vets told me not to continue probably because they didn't want his abdomen to become worse.
    I wonder if extracting all this fluid can be of some relief for the cat. I know it will build up again, but at the moment the cat is very active and this fluid is giving him a bit of trouble at moving around or sleeping belly down.
    How much contact do your 3 cats have usually? I'm wondering if your other female cat who experiences bouts of Toxoplasmosis is also infected with it, or that she's FeCoV (feline coronavirus positive) and this is causing intermittent immunosuppression causing the Toxo to reactivate. She may not be affected by the Coronavirus at all, but it could be influencing her other issue.

I have to congratulate with you on remembering this detail. Hats off to you!
    The two female cats have no direct contact with the male cat. The only common thing between them is me, but as I wrote before, I always wash my hands very well, I always did it, even before I learned about this thing. The first thing I knew about this male cat, Tom, is that he was positive to FIV, so I've always been very careful. The FeLV diagnosis came some months later, he had been vaccinated, but I think that the previous test was done during the window period of the disease.
    Do you know if there's a test to find out whether she's FeCoV positive?
    What diagnostic tests have you got done on your FIP cat? Are his Total Proteins elevated? Presumably so if he's got ascites. What is his liver & kidney function like? What drugs have you been given as maintenance therapy?

The first test was the ultrasound scan who showed the abdomen filled with liquid. Other organs, like the spleen[SIZE=-1], kidneys and peritoneum, had some minor damages and this led the vet to pronounce the word FIP. Then he extracted some liquid from the belly and had it analysed and the tests were the cell counting and the liquid profile.
    Here are the values
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Red blood cells[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]0.00 M/uL
    [SIZE=-1]Total Nucleated Cells[SIZE=-1] 3.92[SIZE=-1] K/uL
    [SIZE=-1]%Granulocytes [SIZE=-1]69.9 %
    [SIZE=-1]%Agranulocytes 30.4 %
    [SIZE=-1]Granulocytes 2.73[/SIZE] K/uL
    [SIZE=-1]Agranulocytes 1.19 K/uL
    [SIZE=-1]Density [SIZE=-1]1.029
    [SIZE=-1]Total Proteins 4.16
    [SIZE=-1]Rivalta test: positive

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Total Bilirubin 0.26 [0.1-0.7] mg/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Amylase [SIZE=-1]1584 [530-1660] U/l
    [SIZE=-1]Creatiine 0.68 [0.7-1.8] mg/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Lipase [SIZE=-1]55.5 [90-450] U/l
    [SIZE=-1]Triglycerides 32 [10-500] mg/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Total Proteins 4.16 [5.5-7-7] g/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Albumin 1.8 [3.0-4[SIZE=-1].6] g/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Glucose [SIZE=-1]140 [60-130] mg/dl
    [SIZE=-1]Density 1.029[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Kidney and liver functions seem still alright. The therapy given is prednisolone 7.5 mg every second day, Interferon 2 UI everyday for a week, nothing for a week, and then again.

inocybe wrote: »
    Just want to say how sorry I am, you obviously love your cats. My cat that recently died had ascites. Not FIP, but I spent a lot of time googling and worrying about it. From what I read it isn't that infectious, and even if your cats caught the initial virus they may never go on to develop FIP. I hope that's the case for you.

Inocybe,
    Thanks so much for your words, I do appreciate it!

Magenta wrote: »
    So sorry to hear, OP.

My cat was diagnosed with FIP and I had her put to sleep there and then.
    As you say, the prognosis is days or weeks and I wanted her to have a peaceful death rather than continue to deteriorate. I watched one cat begin to die naturally once before, because I left it too late to put her down, and I never want to do that again.

Thanks Magenta,
    At the moment the cat is quite lively, plays and eats and loves our attentions for him. Every morning he greets us with a meow.
    I wonder if extracting the liquid from his abdomen would give him a moment of relief. It'll build up again, but I'm trying save him every discomfort.

Thanks Magenta,
    At the moment the cat is quite lively, plays and eats and loves our attentions for him. Every morning he greets us with a meow.
    I wonder if extracting the liquid from his abdomen would give him a moment of relief. It'll build up again, but I'm trying save him every discomfort.

One thing I will say is that, in my own experience with sick cats (have had a few get to old age), they can be fine one minute and literally take a turn and begin to die a few hours later.
    I would urge you to think about what would happen if the cat was to take a turn during the night, and there isn't a vet available. This is what happened to my cat that died, and it was awful. Unfortunately they do not usually die in their sleep. Hence why I got my FIP cat euthanised immediately- I decided it was better for her to have a life a few days/weeks shorter, and go peacefully, than to leave it even an hour too late.
    I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I have to be honest with you. You are in a horrible situation and I am trying to lay things out for you in the fairest and kindest way I can.

Magenta, you are very kind about this situation of mine, I really appreciate it.
    Of course I'm keeping a special eye on him, and he's alone only a few hours a day. Yesterday I never left him alone. Today is alone only from 2 pm to 6 pm.
    Today I rang the vet and she told me that as long as he's alright and doesn't show any sign of distress or pain, we'll keep on treating him and loving him.
    When we see that his quality of life is badly affected and there's no room for further actions, we'll call the vet.
    Luckily I know a very good number of vets and they are all available night and day.
    So, when it's the moment, Tom, my cat, will only have to wait for one of these vets to drive to my door. In the worst case it's an hour time.

I just had the answer from the farmacy, we'll have the interferon on Thursday morning.

• Advertisement

My parents FIP positive cat got sick and went down hill very suddenly. It was me who brought him to our vet and she advised me to let him go there and then. It was a very hard decision to make but I felt I needed to do what was kindest for him.

It turned out that his mum is a carrier but has no symptoms and the other adult cats didn't get sick, although all her kittens died in the end. Nobody can make the decision easily. I've had to take several cats to be pts over the past few years and it breaks my heart every time. I think it's kindest to let them go before they really suffer, it's easier for them if you let them go when they're having good days than when they're in crisis.

My parents FIP positive cat got sick and went down hill very suddenly. It was me who brought him to our vet and she advised me to let him go there and then. It was a very hard decision to make but I felt I needed to do what was kindest for him.

It turned out that his mum is a carrier but has no symptoms and the other adult cats didn't get sick, although all her kittens died in the end. Nobody can make the decision easily. I've had to take several cats to be pts over the past few years and it breaks my heart every time. I think it's kindest to let them go before they really suffer, it's easier for them if you let them go when they're having good days than when they're in crisis.

I agree on every word, Pumpkinseeds.
    As I wrote above, as soon as I realize that the cat is in distress or in pain or in suffering, well, then I'll ring the vet.
    I won't take my cat to the vet, the vet will come over here.
    I don't want the cat to be stressed by a car trip or that the last thing he'll see is the tiled walls of the surgery and the steel table of the vet.
    The last things that I want him to see are the grass and the trees of his garden.

I agree on every word, Pumpkinseeds.
    As I wrote above, as soon as I realize that the cat is in distress or in pain or in suffering, well, then I'll ring the vet.
    I won't take my cat to the vet, the vet will come over here.
    I don't want the cat to be stressed by a car trip or that the last thing he'll see is the tiled walls of the surgery and the steel table of the vet.
    The last things that I want him to see are the grass and the trees of his garden.

Its wonderful when a vet offers that service, I think it takes a massive stress away from the situation. I read somewhere that if the other pets can see their friend after they've passed, that it helps them with the grieving process and that they seem to understand that their pal has gone, so they aren't pining and wondering where they've gone. I hope that doesn't upset you, I just thought I'd mention it because to me it makes a lot of sense and it is something that I will do with my own chaps when the time comes for them:(

I've had to take several cats to be pts over the past few years and it breaks my heart every time.

Yeah, it's awful. The worst news you can hear as a pet owner is that there is no hope of recovery. You feel so helpless. I mean we all know that nobody lives forever, pets included, but you never really think about it until you are staring it in the face. When a friend or family member gets a new pet, I always tell them to cherish the day they bring them home, because that's the day that you remember at the very end.

Its wonderful when a vet offers that service, I think it takes a massive stress away from the situation.

Yes, I talked to many of them and they said that it's quite a common request.
    Doesn't this kind of service exist in Ireland? Do Irish vets come home for minor problems or for euthanasia?
    I read somewhere that if the other pets can see their friend after they've passed, that it helps them with the grieving process and that they seem to understand that their pal has gone, so they aren't pining and wondering where they've gone. I hope that doesn't upset you, I just thought I'd mention it because to me it makes a lot of sense and it is something that I will do with my own chaps when the time comes for them:(

When one of my cats was killed on the road 12 years ago, before I knew he was dead I took him to the vet to see if it was possible any kind of intervention. Well, the cat died on the spot, so the vet gave the body back because I was able to bury him in my garden.
    I asked him if his sister (they were 11 months old at that time) was allowed to see the body of her dead beloved brother, the vet told me it was better not, because she couldn't have understood and could have been shocked. And so we did.

But I think your advice is worth taking into consideration. I would like to read or hear other opinions about this. Maybe other users had experiences of this kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Putting aside your love for him for a moment - you have an FIP positive, FeLV positive and FIV positive cat that is outdoors and almost certainly in contact with other cats? Maybe you need to consider the welfare of other outdoor cats, in addition to this little chap?

Do you know if there's a test to find out whether she's FeCoV positive?
    Yes there's an antibody test, which can be used as a diagnostic tool if levels are high as there is no actual FIP diagnostic test. But, even a positive FeCoV test won't necessarily mean the cat will go on to develop FIP though this is the confusing thing.There are numerous Coronaviruses and only one goes on to develop into FIP.

[SIZE=-1]
    wrote:
    Then he extracted some liquid from the belly and had it analysed and the tests were the cell counting and the liquid profile.
    [/SIZE]
    wrote:
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
    [SIZE=-1]Rivalta test: positive [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]

A positive Rivalta test is another "tick" for a positive FIP diagnosis, as the fluid has a high protein content, which can be distinguished from fluid caused by other conditions.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    wrote:
    Kidney and liver functions seem still alright. The therapy given is prednisolone 7.5 mg every second day, Interferon 2 UI everyday for a week, nothing for a week, and then again.
    It's good that kidney and liver function is ok, plus your Bilirubin is good too (often increases with FIP) so what he's on above sounds about right. It sounds like your vet has done all of the correct tests possible to be honest, and has been very thorough. ;)

boomerang wrote: »
    Putting aside your love for him for a moment - you have an FIP positive, FeLV positive and FIV positive cat that is outdoors and almost certainly in contact with other cats? Maybe you need to consider the welfare of other outdoor cats, in addition to this little chap?

The FIP diagnosis arrived only two days ago.
    He's living indoors since August 31st, one week before we knew of this FIP.
    Yes, he is FIV positive and FeLV positive as well, but he hardly used to move outside our garden. He's always been a quiet cat, more like a dog rather than a cat. When I was outside he was with me all the time, he used to attend every work I was doing in the yard or the garden, he used to wait for me on the doormat when I was inside. He never roamed around. He never hunted, he never fought. Very unusual for a cat, but he is this way.
    So, it's quite unlikely he did damages to other cats.
    But probably other cats did damaged to him, he was positive for FIV and FeLV already when we gave him home.
    I always had consideration for other cats, but all the times he was injured by other cats, it always happened in our garden, they came to beat him and then went away. I know it for sure that he never reacted, he's unable to harm anybody. I wish you met him ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    Yes there's an antibody test, which can be used as a diagnostic tool if levels are high as there is no actual FIP diagnostic test. But, even a positive FeCoV test won't necessarily mean the cat will go on to develop FIP though this is the confusing thing.There are numerous Coronaviruses and only one goes on to develop into FIP.

Yes, today I read a lot on the web, mainly Dr. Addie's website. I learned something about this disease and above all I am a little less worried about the diffusion of the disease to the other two cats.
    [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] A positive Rivalta test is another "tick" for a positive FIP diagnosis, as the fluid has a high protein content, which can be distinguished from fluid caused by other conditions.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I have read that is an obsolete test, but still much used for diagnosing the FIP in cats.
    It sounds like your vet has done all of the correct tests possible to be honest, and has been very thorough. ;)

Yeah, I've been told that the vet of that clinic who visited my Tom two days ago is one of the best around.
    For the ultrasound scan and all the tests on the liquid I paid 150 euro.

Irish Stones I brought my cat home to bury him (after a horrible pts). I wrapped him in a blacket in the kitchen for the day, for one because I wanted my son to be able to say goodbye when he got home from school. But also for the other animals. I have his mother and sister, though all they did was have a quick sniff, but I wanted them to know that he was gone. They didn't show any distress, but everyone even the dog was a bit subdued. They had known he was dying though, his mother had stuck close and licked his face a lot. His sister would hiss at him to stay away :( For a few days after I would find the sister in places where her brother liked to be, so I know she did miss him in her own way.

• Advertisement

inocybe wrote: »
    Irish Stones I brought my cat home to bury him (after a horrible pts).

Oh, I'm so sorry to read about it!
    In which way was it horrible? Did something go wrong?
    If you don't feel like telling me it's alright. It's only because I'm terrorized about something going wrong at the last minute.
    I witnessed two euthanasias in the past, all went well, but every time is different from the other.
    I wrapped him in a blacket in the kitchen for the day, for one because I wanted my son to be able to say goodbye when he got home from school. But also for the other animals. I have his mother and sister, though all they did was have a quick sniff, but I wanted them to know that he was gone. They didn't show any distress, but everyone even the dog was a bit subdued. They had known he was dying though, his mother had stuck close and licked his face a lot. His sister would hiss at him to stay away :( For a few days after I would find the sister in places where her brother liked to be, so I know she did miss him in her own way.

Poor pets... who knows what they feel and how they manage this situation in their minds and their hearts.

Oh, I'm so sorry to read about it!
    In which way was it horrible? Did something go wrong?
    If you don't feel like telling me it's alright. It's only because I'm terrorized about something going wrong at the last minute.
    I witnessed two euthanasias in the past, all went well, but every time is different from the other.

Poor pets... who knows what they feel and how they manage this situation in their minds and their hearts.

I don't want to upset anyone, especially if you're soon going to go through a pts. I'll just say that the sedative caused severe nausea, and it was not the end I would choose for any of my pets again. There must be a better way, better drugs. I would prefer to find a way to do it at home next time, horrible though that sounds.

Back to this infection.
    I have read many websites, I know something more about this disease, how to deal with it and all, but one thing I haven't found.
    My cat has been diagnosed with FIP on Saturday, but I don't think this disease developed overnight, it was already there, probably it's been there for days or weeks before we realized.
    So the thing I'd like to read somewhere is if the cat was potentially dangerous in the weeks or the days before or just now that the visible symptoms showed up.
    I already adopted some precautions in the past when handling or touching or petting this cat, I don't know, perhaps something was telling me that the danger was around the corner. But now that we know what he has we are much more careful.
    So, until last Friday we were keeping a certain kind of behaviour for the other two cats' sake, now we are more careful.
    How much wrong were we until Friday? Could the sick cat spread the coronavirus before Saturday? When could he have become a "spreader" of the coronavirus?
    I hope I made myself clear with my question.

At last the pharmacy gave me the interferon I ordered on Monday. We have begun the therapy tonight for a week, then a week without it, then again, until it's needed.
    The cat is feeling quite well, he's better in the morning than in the evening.

Thanks!

Thanks so much, Boomerang.
    The sheet you linked says
    "Cats start shedding the virus within one week after infection and continue for weeks or months, sometimes for life"

And then says
    "Most FCoV-infected cats stay healthy or show only mild enteritis. Undulating fever, weight loss, anorexia and depression are common initial
    features of FIP.
    If disease develops, FIP occurs as

an effusive (wet) form, characterised by polyserositis (ascites, thoracic
    and/or pericardial effusion) and vasculitis
    This form is considered the clinical extremes of a continuum"

So, the cat started showing fever, weight loss and anorexia around the 20th of July, but though we ran some tests nothing could give us this diagnosis and the cat was treated with antibiotics and cortisone only.
    Am I supposed to intend that the cat could have been shedding or spreading the coronavirus at the end of July or beginning of August?
    Or just now that he has ascitis?

I could lean towards the end of July... am I right?

It's over :(
    Tom, the most beautiful and gentle ginger cat in the world went to the Rainbow Bridge a few hours ago.
    This morning he was still pretty good, in the afternoon he got much more worse and we had to call the doctor over here and all went smooth and painless.

We cleaned the whole room (floor, walls and furniture) where he stayed for two weeks with water and bleech twice.
    Hope it's enough.
    The other two cats will be kept out of that room for the next 8 weeks.

Thanks a million for your support, you have been great, as you always are!

Ahh no, I'm so sorry you lost puss:(

Ah I'm so sorry Irish Stones that's so sad. :( RIP Tom

So, so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, lovely Tom. x x x

• Advertisement

It's over :(
    Tom, the most beautiful and gentle ginger cat in the world went to the Rainbow Bridge a few hours ago.
    This morning he was still pretty good, in the afternoon he got much more worse and we had to call the doctor over here and all went smooth and painless.

We cleaned the whole room (floor, walls and furniture) where he stayed for two weeks with water and bleech twice.
    Hope it's enough.
    The other two cats will be kept out of that room for the next 8 weeks.

Thanks a million for your support, you have been great, as you always are!

So sorry to hear of your loss, it will comfort you to remember that he went peacefully. It sounds like you took action quickly once you saw the time had come, which is not easy in such emotional circumstances.

I will be thinking of you.

Advertisement