Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for NAS hard drive

Options
  • 08-09-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

I've settled on getting a 2 bay synology into which I'm going to insert 2TB x2.

So folks, which hard drives would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Check synology's official compatibility lists on their website and you won't go far wrong. I've had great results over the last 6 years with the western digital green range. However they do also have a red range from 2 - 4tb capacities that are specifically geared for has devices, good reviews on those around the place for reliability and efficiency, although they are a tiny bit pricier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Western digital red series drives or seagate equivalent are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Well Harvey Norman is not the place for looking at/ buying such items! There was only one option when it came to a NAS HD; a 1 bay seagate 2 TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

So folks I'm looking at this all in one solution from WD: http://m.dabs.ie/products/wd-4tb-my-book-live-duo-personal-cloud-storage-nas-7X2W.html?src=3#description.

Or else this Synology 2 bay with WD 2TB x2: http://m.dabs.ie/products/synology-ds213j-2-bay-desktop-nas-8PNZ.html?src=3.

Opinions welcome. Considering I'll be making a desperate back-up, is there really much to be gained for going for the more expensive brand name?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

well if they are your choices id say go with the Synology, with 2 Western digital red. but what kind of redundancy you going to use mirror?

i personally dislike the waste space hence why i like 4 drive setups and you can run a 2 drive in a 4 and expand later.

i use a raid 5 on 4 2TB WD blue (years prior to the red coming out) i have a QNAP TS-410

• Advertisement
Advertisement