Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep care - what doses and vaccinations etc

• 08-09-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi sheep folks.

I have a few question re vaccinations and dosing

How often do you need to dose sheep? And what months etc

I plan to convex 8 vac my flock - when is the best time to do this? They are currently running with the ram

Also - what do people think about smaulinberg ( wrong spelling) vac

And in terms of foot care - I occasionally have some foot problems - I catch and spray the lame ones with alomyscin ( wrong spelling). Do others routinely run their flocks through foot baths and if so what solution do you use.

Is there other veterinary issues that I need to take account of?

Many thanks fellow flock owners ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

SCOPS is a good site. Teagasc also have info on parts of their site.

Fluke is the most thing you'd dose adult sheep for. Generally they shouldn't be dosed for worms, shouldn't be needed. Not going to advise on times, still learning the correct way myself :o

For lambs, do FEC tests for worms (good part on that on the STAP section on the Department of Ag site). Regular routine dosing can cause resistance in your worm population to worm dose drugs. Bought in animals should be quarantined and treated appropriately until they're cleaned out.

Vaccination, I don't use covexin 8, I use heptevac p+. For that I give all lambs two initial shots of 2ml 4-6 weeks apart on a DRY day, can be done from 3 weeks of age. Then ewes get one 2ml booster shot 4-6 weeks before lambing.

Schmallenberg, not overly worried about it here yet as I lamb hopefully later than the midge will be active and am at the opposite end of the country to the spread - so far.

If you find you're doing a lot of foot care I'd be ear notching or writing down tag numbers, three strikes and off down the road with them for footrot - not sure on scald. Generally have a low amount of foot problems here. Footbath will work out cheaper than tins of spray, less work if you're turning up a lot of sheep too, make sure to let them stand on concrete or dry hard standing for an hour or so after treatment.

Other vet things, coccidiosis, nematodirus, orf, dipping, mineral/trace element deficiencies, send any ewe/lamb that dies to the lab to find out WHY.

I am missing loads.

Advertisement