Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and cultural apppropriation?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions were on this. I've wanted a tattoo for a very long time but I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get it.

It means a lot personally to me and but part of that tattoo is in Japanese. Its the word magic. It represents my deceased brother (who was a magician (not a very good one lol) and a childhood film that we were both obsessed with that was a Japanese film called Magic Boy.

A good friend of mine gave out to me saying that my tattoo was a terrible idea, racist and total cultural appropriation. (they live on tumblr opinion blogs and have a massive Pokemon tattoo on their back and a Naruto one too. ironically)

I work for a human rights organisation so I'm knowledgeable on issues involving issues such as race, culture and so on and the pros and cons of cultural appropriation. I also understand Japanese culture regarding their feelings towards tattoos and I also completely understand why my tattoo could be offensive.

Basically I was upset by my friends reaction and its been eating away at me that maybe what I am doing really is as bad as any other racist tattoo but since my tattoo means something to me I think its still okay to get it. Its making me worry that I'm just blind to the fact my Irish white privilege is why I feel this way.

I know I could get it in English but I don't think it would carry the double meaning if it wasn't in Japanese.

Is getting a tattoo in another language when its not part of your own culture really that bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In short ignore your friend and tell him to shut up. It's your tattoo, it's your body do what you want with it once you happy with it ;).

Plus no it's not bad at all imo and not in anyway racist how he reckons it is racist is beyond me just because you want to use the Japanese language :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DeeAvery wrote: »
    It means a lot personally to me and but part of that tattoo is in Japanese. Its the word magic. It represents my deceased brother (who was a magician (not a very good one lol) and a childhood film that we were both obsessed with that was a Japanese film called Magic Boy(English Title).

I think if there's a genuine reason for getting it in that language then go ahead, and it sounds like you have one. Why just the one word though, rather than the title in Japanese?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Magic works better as the tattoo isn't just about the film. Also the tattoo will be really small (silly reason I know but it won't all fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 blueruin

I don't get it. Like if I use a word in Irish, which maybe I don't speak, (even if I do hold an EIRE passport), am I ripping off the gaelgoirs? Or if I use Greek or latin is that wrong? Or does the culture have to be very racially different from me, like asian?
    I do think it's silly to get something in a language that you don't speak yourself, but still, is it really harming anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

At the end of the day you're almost guaranteed these days that any kind of tattoo will have some sort of imagery or phrasing that somebody is going to try to find fault with. It'll be your tattoo that you're getting done on your own body and the only person who's opinion of its connotations is going to be valid is yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

In short - your friend is an idiot.

You have a reason for wanting to get the specific tattoo in that specific language, so go for it. It's not racist at all, ffs.

I think the opinion my friend has anyone who is an English speaking white person shouldn't get a tattoo at all if its not in there language or representative of their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think the opinion my friend has anyone who is an English speaking white person shouldn't get a tattoo at all if its not in there language or representative of their culture.

That's fair enough and in general I would probably agree with that but you have a specific and genuine reason for wanting it.

Also to call it racist whatever his opinion of people getting a language on them that is not representative of there culture is downright stupid imo if that is now considered racism then people really have begun to loose the plot on political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If your friend is trying to say that it's racist, I'd be pointing out that the friend insisting that somebody should only get a tattoo that is in their own language or appropriate to their own culture is in fact the racist themselves. Embracing multiculturalism, having an interest in something outside of your own language and something that is not specifically English (ie the 'Magic Boy' thing that you and your brother watched) is a nice thing to do. Insisting that white, English speaking people cannot do it is in fact racist against your friend's own race.

I think I might just be that i'm upset over the fact he said this tattoo that means something to me was stupid and as he's supposed to be one of my best friends I don't like the fact that we've clashed.

I also agree with his points to a certain level. Its a grey area cultural appropriation. One one side it wrong to assimilate and fetishise a culture and see it as a more exotic alternative for an example a tattoo and also when language and symbolism are taken out of their original context the meaning is over simplified or completely lost. Totally get that, but like whats been already mentioned totally segregating our languages, cultures etc. is just as negative.

He has very strong opinions on lots of issues. Racism is one of them. Though i think he's being a little hypocritical when he as a white Irish person has Pokemon and Naruto tattoos which he doesn't regret and shows off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I also agree with his points to a certain level. Its a grey area cultural appropriation. One one side it wrong to assimilate and fetishise a culture and see it as a more exotic alternative for an example a tattoo and also when language and symbolism are taken out of their original context the meaning is over simplified or completely lost. Totally get that, but like whats been already mentioned totally segregating our languages, cultures etc. is just as negative.

Cultural approriation is a tricky issue and sometimes it's hard to know what's embracing a culture and what's assimilation/fetishisation for the sake of it.

That said in your case I'm pretty sure you're in no way fetishising the culture. You have a reason for getting in that language that makes sense. If you were getting it in Japanese because you thinks that it looks prettier that way then maybe your friend would have a point but it's about the movie both you and your brother enjoyed which is a good enough reason in my books.

Also a quick note, make sure that the tattoo actually says magic. I know it sounds like common sense but an artist told me a woman and her girlfriend got 'love' in Japanese tattooed on them and when one of them was in Japan on business she found out that it was actually a really offensice gang tattoo. I'm guessing, with the film and everything, you know the correct spelling of magic in Japanese but still thought it was worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

When someone comes to be with an idea they want tattooed because "they just think it's cute" or whatever, I'd always try to encourage them to put more thought into it. Thankfully the trend of getting chinese/japanese words tattooed seems to be dying off. But in your case you seem to have meaning behind the idea so it's sound tattoo wise.... the idea of it being racist is just retarded! And definitely take heed of Killer_Bananas advice....if tattoo artist can f**k up tattoos in their own language then they can definitely do it in another. With chinese/japanese words sometimes a small change in one line can mean a completely different thing... Google that word like mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Sounds like a mate of mine who has opinions on everything and would start an argument in a wardrobe! I would take his opinion with a pinch of salt if I were you, Its your body, your tattoo and your meaning. Feck him and his opinion, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

if its important to YOU, who cares what anybody thinks.every single one of us on this forum have tattoos that means sweet feck all to anyone else,or that mean absolutely nothing at all,but we dont care what people think.
    its such a super sweet idea for your tattoo,a deeply personal one that means so much to you and the memory of your brother.
    In no way could such a thing be considered cultural appropriation.i say go for it.remember your brother in the most significant way you can.a deep reminder of the relationship you had,of the memories you have and the bond you share

ElKavo wrote: »
    Sounds like a mate of mine who has opinions on everything and would start an argument in a wardrobe! I would take his opinion with a pinch of salt if I were you, Its your body, your tattoo and your meaning. Feck him and his opinion, in my opinion.
    @ElKavo....not sure if you're referring to me/my comment...if you are, you should read it again... I was actually being supportive of this idea. My main point; if you have a well thought out reason for your tattoo, which you do, then it'd be hard for anyone to criticise it for whatever reason. Regardless, I do agree with your premise that "Its your body, your tattoo".... Tattoo whatever the f**k you want on yourself! This notion trumps all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

@ElKavo....not sure if you're referring to me/my comment...if you are, you should read it again... I was actually being supportive of this idea. My main point; if you have a well thought out reason for your tattoo, which you do, then it'd be hard for anyone to criticise it for whatever reason. Regardless, I do agree with your premise that "Its your body, your tattoo".... Tattoo whatever the f**k you want on yourself! This notion trumps all others.

Preeeeetty sure he was replying to the OP.

ahhh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

If you like the design and it has some meaning for you, go for it. Who cares what your friend thinks?

Unless, you care what your friend thinks :pac:

As far as racialy/culturally inappropriate, meh. Tattoos are universal now, every culture has been blended in together through photos in magazines and on the internet.

Just make 100% sure the design translates correctly, check with various sources, don't just walk into some back street dive and read through a sheet of alleged "kanji" flash, where your "magic" actually translates as "elephant poo" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think there can be an argument made for cultural appropriation in a lot of cases, but not in this one, I mean there's a clear personal reason why you'd choose to have it in Japanese in particular. Have at it, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Chill, I was talking to the OP. But now you do seem like my mate too... LOL:D

• Advertisement

:cool: totally chilled! cheeky bugger! :rolleyes:

Advertisement