Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new shrimp tank

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of converting my juwel korall 60 (54 litre) exclusively into a shrimp tank (of the neocardinia heteropoda variety) and moving my betta into his own nano tank,maybe an aquanano 30.the only thing is, would a 54litre be a bit too big just to have as a shrimp tank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

i'm thinking of converting my juwel korall 60 (54 litre) exclusively into a shrimp tank (of the neocardinia heteropoda variety) and moving my betta into his own nano tank,maybe an aquanano 30.the only thing is, would a 54litre be a bit too big just to have as a shrimp tank

Nope.

A tank that size would be able to have an impressive collection (100+)

Remember that shrimp have a miniscule bio-load and you can really heavily stock with these guys.

A Big group of Crystal Reds look nice.

Also,

Baron, not sure if you intend to breed shrimp (one of the most interesting things about it i find).

If you are, you could try Red Cherry as these are hardy and breed very prolifically.

Raise the temperature up to 27celcius, bring the water ph to 6.7-7.2 range. They also appreciate cover such as low growing, bushy plants.

I breed these and use a water conditioner/additive called Biotopol-C (JBL i think, not sure). This is meant to be a vitamin/mineral supplement as well as a neutraliser for heavy metals such as copper (extremely toxic to shrimp).

I stay away from liquid carbon supplements and do not use CO2. There have been mixed reports of shrimp being very sensitive to CO2, so avoid it.

As for food, these are very slow eaters, and will get most of their food from just grazing around the tank.
    There are specific shrimp foods, but i've not seen any difference with them, as opposed to small fish pellets.

1 more thing: These shrimp shed on a regular basis. DO NOT REMOVE the shells. You'll find your shrimp will consume the shell for nutrients, and is important for them to harden/grow their shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i plan to keep red cherrys and a few other variations.i already have some orange sakura shrimp and intend to get red sakura,red rili,and maybe yellow sakura

the shrimp i have don't really bother with the shrimp food i give them they just scavange around the tank for leftovers

i have the biotopol c in my shopping basket and i use ferropol and sometimes plantamin for my plants.no co2

my aquasoil amazonia lowered my ph to 6.6-6.8 so it would be at the lower end of the scale.

would that temperature not be too high.i was always under the impression that they liked it to be under 24c

as for the plants themselves, so far i'm considering japanese moss balls,java fern,ambulia,baby tears, and i already have it somewhat carpeted with eleocharis parvula.and i've an ornament with moss on it.i'll be completely rescaping though.i'm moving my amtra redwood,staurogyne repens and vallisneria spiralis tiger into my bettas nano when i rehome him

would that temperature not be too high.i was always under the impression that they liked it to be under 24c

as for the plants themselves, so far i'm considering japanese moss balls,java fern,ambulia,baby tears, and i already have it somewhat carpeted with eleocharis parvula.and i've an ornament with moss on it.i'll be completely rescaping though.i'm moving my amtra redwood,staurogyne repens and vallisneria spiralis tiger into my bettas nano when i rehome him

These shrimp inhabit streams in Japan that range from frozen over with ice in winter to 28celcius in summer....

The warmer temperatures reduce life expectancy but greatly increase metabolism and thus speed of breeding. If breeding is your thing, then 26-7 is perfect. If not, then correct, they'd prefer 24.

Moss is perfect. Huge surface area on these plants which provides much more grazing area.

These shrimp also appreciate some shade, so floating plant's wouldn't go far wrong, or you could try some leaf litter. Have a look at some videos of wild habitat. Shaded streams, chockablock with leaf litter.

Sounds like you're on the ball though, so no worries there. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Just in case you don't know it already, make sure the variations of shrimps you
    intend to keep are compatible (not interbreeding) as in time their colors will wash away.

I wouldn't worry about the tank being too big as the shrimps will soon fill it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement